• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

S11A Airportable

Brief road test today and (of course) a few niggling faults revealed themselves.
1 it stopped charging within a couple of hundred yards
2 it fuel gauge stopped working within a similar distance
3 the wipers stopped working
4 the steering is downright weird, it feels very tight, responds in a delayed manner and it wanders. I have driven many miles in series so I know this doesn't feel right, even with bar grip tyres fitted. Will have to revisit the steering box and check clearances
5 the screenwash reservoir dripped onto my ankle (too full enough)
6 the clutch is a bit sudden, or is that just my namby pamby legs?

Beyond that all seems good thus far. Don't want to drive it much further before that steering is sorted

Brief road test today and (of course) a few niggling faults revealed themselves.
1 it stopped charging within a couple of hundred yards
2 it fuel gauge stopped working within a similar distance
3 the wipers stopped working
4 the steering is downright weird, it feels very tight, responds in a delayed manner and it wanders. I have driven many miles in series so I know this doesn't feel right, even with bar grip tyres fitted. Will have to revisit the steering box and check clearances
5 the screenwash reservoir dripped onto my ankle (too full enough)
6 the clutch is a bit sudden, or is that just my namby pamby legs?

Beyond that all seems good thus far. Don't want to drive it much further before that steering is sorted
But I bet you enjoyed it all the best

Relay was within limits according to manual when tested with spring balance.
I agree 1 2 & 3 are probably linked. No red light when ignition is switched on but comes on when engine is running and brightens with additional revz

I'd be looking at your fuse box on the white/green stuff.

I only mention the relay because when mine was tight when I first got my vehicle, it would cause very odd steering depite everything else being vaguely ok.
My steering box was loose too, which accounted for my delay in steering!

I'd be looking at your fuse box on the white/green stuff.

I only mention the relay because when mine was tight when I first got my vehicle, it would cause very odd steering depite everything else being vaguely ok.
My steering box was loose too, which accounted for my delay in steering!
I was inside the cash last week to replace the incorrect green trailer repeater with the correct orange colour so the chances of inadvertently disturbing other things is quite high. Just a bit puzzling why they didn't fail immediately and waited for me to start driving. I think another area worth looking at is the distribution column, lots of wires in a small space and with them being braided, very stiff.
On the plus side, the gearbox shifts beautifully even if first is so low it is almost redundant, engine is sweet and pulls well even if it is all relative.
Still at least it is raining this morning so a retreat to the garage seems eminently sensible

@SWBFreeLoader good call on the fuse. Culprit is the wiper motor, park switch or just the switch. Whichever it is, operating the switch blows the fuse instantly. Another little niggle was the headlights, couldn't get them to aim correctly probably something to do with one of the blue/white being connected to main and the other to dip. But difficult to tell them apart when you have a choice of yellowish sort of black, reddish sort of black or blueish sort of black maybe. Admittedly each of the above leads has a yellow identifier sleeve to let you know what it should do, trouble is after 50 odd years the writing is both tiny and illegible, then there's my rheumy old eyes. Well they're my excuses so I'm sticking to them.
Got some gaskets and shims for the steering box on the way, I suspect my "just no end float" might be a bit too a bit too tight. We'll see.

Ahh, the wipers strike again.

The steering box certainly does need some 'slack' in it or it 'winds up' down the shaft and can create the same problems I had with a tight relay just further up the linkages.
Well worth following the good book on setting up the box, it is a bit faffy, but then you're sure.

No, no, no, no. Iyam not buying another one, I'm not!
Although, just maybe, I could be tempted by this. Y'know a straight 6 diesel based on the 2286

I love the santana one, that is awesome.

Also love "putting this advert on for a friend, , he tells me the landrover is in excellent condition and a genuine army police example" well, he would, wouldn't he. lol.

I'd buy the 16k one. If I had 16k and room for another vehicle.

I agree, I'm selling it for a mate/relative who cannot be contacted, no 'phone, no interweb, no more information, no more pictures.
Rings false.
I wonder why land rover didn't explore the straight 6 diesel, even if it was only for the forward control models.

Last edited:
Well Neil you will soon have lot's of time on your hands, just think you could end up decorating and the light nights are coming 😉
Oh you are such a jester, speaking in riddles. Time on my hands ho ho ho.
I have a spare gearbox to rebuild, ditto a spare diff, need to sort out the fault on the wipers, attend to anything the MoT shows up. Buy petrol, lots of petrol, got a long weekend away planned for end of June, a first service after 500 miles.

fault on the wipers
If they self park, then that's on the motor, and that will be what's gone wrong. Mine did the same in the 2a, but for the life of me I can't remember which wires it was. Cut them off anyway, and then had to time switching the wipers off. Got quite good at it!

Rip off the green...and perhaps the brown and green for good measure. Those deal with the park.
This is the point you sigh lustfully at those without the 'built in' park switch like I recall you have. I can unclip and reclip on a new park switch in less time than it took me to write this reply.

Not that i'm rubbing it in or anything :p

presumably the green is the power?
Anyway, I intend to get to the bottom of it tomorrow. I have spent the last couple of nights either woofing my cookies or sweating like a very sweaty thing, followed by days of being feak and weeble
The wipers used to work and I stripped the park switch, all contacts spotless. But they have always been reluctant and the wiper motor grinds like an old grindy thing despite stripping it, cleaning it, fitting new brushes and replacing all the old grease

Back
Top Bottom