• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

S2A clutch question

Llansadwrn

Offroader
I know my clutch is near the end of its life, and at 95,000 I'll assume it's been replaced at least once. From what I have read it is fairly likely that the clutch is now 9.5" S3 style, but could of course still be 9". I don't suppose there is any way of telling which plate is fitted without actually pulling the transmission away from the engine? No little spyholes or other clues?
Thanks

i may be wrong but i thought series 1's were 9" and the 2's upgraded to 9.5" the 2's hace the release mechanisum actuated by a shaft doing in the side of the belhousing. where as the 3's have the slave mounted under the starter pushing a rod. it is posible it has ben changed at some point.

i may be wrong but i thought series 1's were 9" and the 2's upgraded to 9.5" the 2's hace the release mechanisum actuated by a shaft doing in the side of the belhousing. where as the 3's have the slave mounted under the starter pushing a rod. it is posible it has ben changed at some point.

The gospel according to Haynes: "The Series II and IIA Land Rovers are fitted with either the 9 inch (standard) or the 9.5 inch (optional) diameter clutch."
The pressure plates are differently actuated, and so I believe it's a matter of totally different clutch kits. Maybe I should just buy the 9.5" kit and install it? Then it wouldn't matter if it had a 9" clutch at present? I'm not going to be doing this until the Spring in any case.

There are also 2 different release bearings on the old mechanism. I have the early one which is cheap and easy to get.
The later one is expensive off the shelf although you could search and get it for more reasonable cash with time on your side.

Depends on your box suffix I think. Mine is a 11a D Suffix. Who knows what you might have in there.

There are also 2 different release bearings on the old mechanism. I have the early one which is cheap and easy to get.
The later one is expensive off the shelf although you could search and get it for more reasonable cash with time on your side.

Depends on your box suffix I think. Mine is a 11a D Suffix. Who knows what you might have in there.

Hey, whoops, wait a moment.... what's the box suffix? Is that something stamped into the box? If so do you know where? All I have seen is that one is 3 fingered, and the other diaphragm, I believe 9" and 9.5" respectively, but could have got it round my neck as usual. I think you are saying that there are 2 mechanisms found on the 9" alone? Nio matter what there is at the moment, am I right in thinking I could just buy the S3 style clutch assembly complete and fit it in? If so is that just friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing? Or are there additional components? I think I know less than when I started now!!

PS curious that this thread appears to have gone to the dogs (avatar-wise)

there's 2 different size clutches for the 2/2a gearbox both operated by the same release mechanism, so if you have a 9" pressure plate you'll want a 9" friction plate, the same goes if you have a 9.5" pressure plate you will want the matching size friction plate

the difference comes in if you have a S3 gearbox as the clutch release mechanism is different and you'll want the later pressure plate, this is the same plate as used in both early discos and defenders/90s/110s

so all you need to know is whether you have a S2/2a gearbox or S3 gearbox if ordering a clutch kit

i know on some series III boxes have a cover plate infront of the gear lever bracket not sure about IIs. but to get to it you are not far off pulling the whole gearbox.

if it has synchro on 1st and second its a series 2a box, i ordered a clutch and i asked for a series 2a clutch and i had no problems what so ever. i have just checked my parts book and it says that there is a 9" three finger type clutch, which i have have fitted on my 2a.
and there is a diaphragm type as well but it is a 9 1/2' one so id say you are after the 9' one, but that is if you have the non synchro on the first two gears .

Tony.

oh and i took the floors off mine and removed the tunnel cover and when i did i found that my 2a has a plate as well, and its a 2a box so that may not be of much help? only thing you could do is check to see if it has synchro on the first two gears.

If you have the slave on the r/h side of the bellhousing then you will usually require a 9" coil spring assembly which will be 2 dowel location to the flywheel, the optional on the fairly late 2a is a 9.5" diaphragm unit which is a 3 dowel location to the flywheel and has a boss in the middle of the diaphragm spring.
If the slave is on the l/h side of the bellhousing then its a S3 assembly thats required.
Look thro the inspection cover in front of the gearlever to see which cover type is currently fitted.
Any questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the slave on the r/h side of the bellhousing then you will usually require a 9" coil spring assembly which will be 2 dowel location to the flywheel, the optional on the fairly late 2a is a 9.5" diaphragm unit which is a 3 dowel location to the flywheel and has a boss in the middle of the diaphragm spring.
If the slave is on the l/h side of the bellhousing then its a S3 assembly thats required.
Look thro the inspection cover in front of the gearlever to see which cover type is currently fitted.

Any questions?

i agree with you

Tony

Replying to various above (all very gratefully received):
"if it has synchro on 1st and second its a series 2a box" ...... no synchro on 1st or 2nd, but the Prophet Haynes says that all synchro only came on S3's. You have a 2A with all synchro? Mine's a '70, which is pretty late.

"If you have the slave on the r/h side of the bellhousing....."
Which I do:

IMG_1519.jpg

"......then you will usually require a 9" coil spring assembly which will be 2 dowel location to the flywheel, the optional on the fairly late 2a is a 9.5" diaphragm unit which is a 3 dowel location to the flywheel and has a boss in the middle of the diaphragm spring. "
So really I could have either, since I have a late 2A. And I'll have to wait until it's off before I know, right?

"These are the 2 different release bearings I spoke of in the first 2 listings for 11a's."
And mine is bound to be the £93.25 one rather than the £3.50 one, I just have this absolute certainty!
"Look thro the inspection cover in front of the gearlever to see which cover type is currently fitted."
There you've lost me, I'm sorry to say. Somehow I have not managed to understand what you mean by "cover type".

It is often misquoted that the ser 3 had the " improved" all synchro box. It actually started with the late 11a.

Scratch around for your box no anyway.

It is often misquoted that the ser 3 had the " improved" all synchro box. It actually started with the late 11a.

Scratch around for your box no anyway.
Mine definitely lacks synchro on 1 and 2, unless my driving technique has deteriorated further than I had realised.

with a 2/2a gearbox it is unlikely that you'll need a new release bearing unless you can actually hear it whining as it is inside a cover in the bellhousing and gets oiled from in the gearbox

the synchro/non synchro difference is a bit of a red herring all you need to know is which type of release mechanism you have, all you need to do is look under the gearbox/bellhousing , the S2/2a clutch slave is mounted in a cage with external linkages, the S3 gearbox has the slave cylinder bolted straight into the bellhousing above the gearbox crossmember

being as your vehicle is a late 2a i would suggest that you most likely have the 9.5" clutch (often mistakenly referred to as a diesel clutch) which has the diaphragm pressure plate with an integral boss

as listed in this link http://www.totalparts.co.uk/category-3/571228-AL.html

Last year I sold a 2a gearbox that had synchros on all four, and the buyer told me it was rare, he got a bargain, £20 for a box in boxes.

Back
Top Bottom