• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

S2A clutch question

Last year I sold a 2a gearbox that had synchros on all four, and the buyer told me it was rare, he got a bargain, £20 for a box in boxes.

without knowing the gearbox number and suffix this gearbox can't be guaranteed to be a fully synchro 2a one (although as you say they are out there), there has been quite a few gearboxes built using the 2a bellhousing and release mechansm onto a S3 gearbox by home and aftermarket builders

with a 2/2a gearbox it is unlikely that you'll need a new release bearing unless you can actually hear it whining as it is inside a cover in the bellhousing and gets oiled from in the gearbox
============== Thanks for that, no whine I can hear over the other noises!

the synchro/non synchro difference is a bit of a red herring all you need to know is which type of release mechanism you have, all you need to do is look under the gearbox/bellhousing , the S2/2a clutch slave is mounted in a cage with external linkages, the S3 gearbox has the slave cylinder bolted straight into the bellhousing above the gearbox crossmember
================ Then I definitely have a 2A.

being as your vehicle is a late 2a i would suggest that you most likely have the 9.5" clutch (often mistakenly referred to as a diesel clutch) which has the diaphragm pressure plate with an integral boss

=================But I`ll still need to at least pull the gearbox away from the engine enough to get a gander before buying my clutch, unless I go the way of buying both as suggested elsewhere above, it seems.

being as your vehicle is a late 2a i would suggest that you most likely have the 9.5" clutch (often mistakenly referred to as a diesel clutch) which has the diaphragm pressure plate with an integral boss

=================But I`ll still need to at least pull the gearbox away from the engine enough to get a gander before buying my clutch, unless I go the way of buying both as suggested elsewhere above, it seems.

You might be able to see what clutch you have before you remove the gearbox. You will have to remove both floors and the gearbox cover, then the inspection plate on top of the gearbox possibly with the gearstick itself. You should then be able to peer down into the bellhousing and see the pressure plate. I am assuming that the 2A has a similar inspection plate to the 3, which is all I have available to look at right now. You should see a diaphragm spring plate with a large boss in the middle (9.5inch) or a 3 finger coil spring plate (9inch). If you do it this way you can easily make the Landy drivable temporarily while you order the right parts.

David

You might be able to see what clutch you have before you remove the gearbox. You will have to remove both floors and the gearbox cover, then the inspection plate on top of the gearbox possibly with the gearstick itself. You should then be able to peer down into the bellhousing and see the pressure plate. I am assuming that the 2A has a similar inspection plate to the 3, which is all I have available to look at right now. You should see a diaphragm spring plate with a large boss in the middle (9.5inch) or a 3 finger coil spring plate (9inch). If you do it this way you can easily make the Landy drivable temporarily while you order the right parts.

David
===============
Yes.... I notice people talk with gay (old style) abandon about whipping out floors and tunnels, as if it is a trivial affair much like pulling the dipstick. I`d imagine that if a person is in the habit of doing so, and screws and bolts are nice and free, it must be that straightforward. My floor plate fasteners look quite rusty at present, so I shall start making libations to the WD40 god...... I`m spraying a lot of it around at present, on to things I think I shall have to try loosening in the near future.

One slight point i forgot earlier is that a 2a with the 9.5" diaphragm cover(with boss) should have a 1/4" thick spacer under the slave cylinder.

One slight point i forgot earlier is that a 2a with the 9.5" diaphragm cover(with boss) should have a 1/4" thick spacer under the slave cylinder.
That`s interesting. Is it this (red arrow)
clutch slave detail.jpg

................ and looking at the adjustment here, it is obviously at one extreme of its adjustment, and I`m assuming that the clutch plate is at the end of its life, but am prepared to stand corrected.

without knowing the gearbox number and suffix this gearbox can't be guaranteed to be a fully synchro 2a one (although as you say they are out there), there has been quite a few gearboxes built using the 2a bellhousing and release mechansm onto a S3 gearbox by home and aftermarket builders

I stripped it down first, and saw all the synchro rings, so did the buyer ,and he checked the serial number to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom