• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 2A Sprayed Black with a White Roof???

ste2006

Shifting Up
Hi All,

So now i am thinking of taking a different approach to my Series IIA (Future Series IIA),

I was thinking of spraying it black while leaving a white roof on it,

Swap all of the lenses for clear lenses around it and put in suitable colour bulbs where needed,

Add an A bar or Nudge bar to the front with two spots on it, Roof Rack and Ladder also at the back,

Spare mounted up on the bonnet,

What people think of this style?

I know you cant get the Series in Black / White so just wondering what people would think about my design idea??

Thanks,

Also if anyone thinks this would look well, Any ideas on the wheels??

At the moment they are white steel wheels, Should i just tidy up these wheels and leave them as white??

Should i spray them silver or black??

Also forgot to mention i was going to put Silver Chequer plating at the sides of the bonnet
for standing on??

Thanks,

I think 40 year old landies have enough character and all have become unique over the years. To me, nothing looks smarter than a near to original classic truck. Start adding 'out of era' bits and bobs and it's like putting a mini skirt and boob tube on your Gran.

Ste2006. Looks like a similar reaction to your last thread!. Dont be put off. Do whatever you feel looks right, and is what you want.

Personally I'd skip the chequer plating. Never liked it, other than to line the bed.

Black. Horrible for showing every last imperfection, and there are many on a Land Rover. Satin black however.....Love it, and very forgiving.

If you're determined to add your chequer plate, then why not black checquer plate over satin black paintwork.

Clear lenses. Yea why not, and look good against black.

Wheels. Gloss black mods. Nice subtle contrast with the satin paintwork.

All of the above pretty reversible if you suddenly get bitten by the rivet counting bug, except maybe a few extra holes where you fixed the chequer plating.

And......I've seen your Gran in a mini-skirt and boob tube.......she looked great!

Thanks for the advice lads,

I might try it anyway and see what it looks like anyway, Ill post some pictures when its done,

Dont worry ill be looking for more advice soon about what to look for before buying one etc,

Thanks again,

Also when you say Satin black, Can i just buy that and spray it on like any normal paint or is it a special paint that has to be put on a special way,

What do people think about rolling on paint instead of spraying it???

if i was you, i would use a NATO matt/satin black - as the finish will be more hard wearign than any other black dull paint you will get on a DIY budget.

if youre not bothered about a perfect finish, then go for it - but an imprefections will be highlighted....

for wheels - either white ot match the roof top - of black to match the body..

I roller painted my landy :)

looks nice, and gives a fine mottled effect :D

as for the paint work, nothing wrong with black.
Rustoleum might be a good option for it.

as for the chequer plate....personally, I would fit the chequer plate, but paint it the same colour as the body.
it will strengthen the wings, but wont stand out (or blind you if the sun catches it!)

wheels.....
Black modulars, or black discovery steel rims.

an A bar would probably be the better option up front, unless you do a lot of off roading.

roof racks are always useful :p

as for the spare on the bonnet.....
it restricts visibility a fair bit (depending on tyre size and bonnet type)

but you could put it on the roof rack, or fit a swing away carrier on the back, if having it inside is a problem.

We arent being nasty about you modding your landy, its just most of us on here love the series landy look...thats part the point of owning one......
so please understand why certain ideas arent welcomed on here :)

Gloss Black and silver has always been a classic look especially on the very early vehicles of the 20's. If done properly it should look good with the cappings & grille silver and most bodywork black. The lights on the 2A have a large chrome rim and you could go for chrome mirrors, lights etc.
Wouldn't work with a white roof though. :D90_BLK_TC:

....of course you would have to wear a top hat and carry a black cane to top it off.

I think 40 year old landies have enough character and all have become unique over the years. To me, nothing looks smarter than a near to original classic truck. Start adding 'out of era' bits and bobs and it's like putting a mini skirt and boob tube on your Gran.

My Gran's 101 years old on the 24th of this month. Thank's for painting this picture for me!:D

mine looks ok! but it will go back to sand colour after the rebuild.

177.jpg389.jpg388.jpg190.jpg

I would agree with the others abouth satin paint - I did my 88 with satin nato green with a roller and it came out great, I also painted the wingtop checker - it is subtle and looks as if it is standard fit.

Wheels should always be black - I've all ways thunk white wheels are a bit like white socks - cool when it was the 70s but a bit naff now.

I await the onslaught!

Back
Top Bottom