• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 3 2.25 Petrol ‘83 Steering Drop Link Fitting

beagle2

In Fourth Gear
Hello,

I’m trying to fit the steering box, following a rebuild.

The steering drop link arm nut tightens up ok but there is a seemingly large amount of spline left. (See pic)

Is this normal? Looks odd to me.

Torque spec is 60 - 80 ft lb, so not massive.

I’ve pulled the rod back off and cleaned the splines with a small triangular file etc.

Still seems to sit far out… any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• 5F0A3BB5-2DDD-47CC-81DA-23D6D23F6045.jpeg
    5F0A3BB5-2DDD-47CC-81DA-23D6D23F6045.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 57
The splines are tapered, and the nut wedges the taper futher into the straight (?) splines of the arm, making sure it can never develop any play.

Thanks, the drop link is ‘sided’ as it angles out slightly and the other end is tapered for the ball joint.

Worth considering certainly, but it is fitted the correct way.

Not sure if drop link splines are tapered. I’ll take off and check.

Would anyone be able to glance at their steering box to see if this distance is normal? I might just be being paranoid :)

I've got all the bodywork, engine etc out of the way at the moment so I can get you a really good picture of mine. Just a daft thought, isn't there a "master" spline?
Just as a by the by it normally takes quite some effort to pull that drop arm off.

Thanks Neil, re master spline, I wondered this too.

There is a sort of flat groove (basically a spline missing) on the steering box end. However the drop arm has splines all the way around its inner circumference.

Drop arm and steering box are original.

Back
Top Bottom