• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 3, 2.5n/a exhaust

ypcmarshal

Overdrive!
hello all!
im going to be putting a proper exhaust on my series 3 at some point but was wondering what exhaust should i use?
its a series 3 with a landrover 2.5 n/a diesel, at the moment it has the main down pipe from the manifold running straight into a cherry bomb or similar box. and its unbelievably loud at 'speed' just wondering if a normal series exhaust will fit, and if it will would it be to restricting?
its 3 bolts on the manifold if that makes a difference.

thanks - ben

A standard 2.25 series exhaust will fit but it will restrict the engine. Steve Parker does a proper exhaust conversion for a 2.5NAD in a series. I won't go back to the smaller bore system.:)

as much as i would love the steve parker system, i looked at them first before asking on here, 213 squid is alot of money for a poor student!! specially as i can get a standard setup for 35 quid!

is it just the silencer thats restrictive or the whole pipe?

ben

I have a Sherpa 15J 2.5 N/A engine in my 88 and it has standard exhaust drives ok and does not seem that restricted does 70mph losses a bit speed on hills but think thats because its getting a little tired and breaths heavy.

Most small exhaust fitters and garages are happy to let you look through there old take-offs. Many systems on their scrap pile will have good boxes and pipes and with a bit of cut and shutting a good system can be made.
Go for the heaviest gauge steel and match the diameter to the 2.5 and you wont go far wrong.

I have a Land Rover 2.5na in my 109" with a petrol series system and 2.5 front pipe stub welded to the smaller series pipe. Performs well to 70 mph + :D

The problem with diesel exhausts they seem to last for ever , so I will be using a larger bore when it rots out. In practice - I don't think there can be much additional resistance , possibly more so with the turbo version :eek:

hello all!
im going to be putting a proper exhaust on my series 3 at some point but was wondering what exhaust should i use?
its a series 3 with a landrover 2.5 n/a diesel, at the moment it has the main down pipe from the manifold running straight into a cherry bomb or similar box. and its unbelievably loud at 'speed' just wondering if a normal series exhaust will fit, and if it will would it be to restricting?
its 3 bolts on the manifold if that makes a difference.

thanks - ben
I have fitted a 200Di (200Tdi minus the turbo ((but it may be going back on)) ) anyway i made my system out of a std series system with the front pipe made out of flexi exhaust pipe. I cant report on what its like as its not on the road yet BUT next summer whether i fit the turbo or not i will be building a 2.25" or 2.5" system that comes out of the PTO hole in the rear cross member. ( I will stop talking about me now:rolleyes::D)

As for your exhaust why not just start by replacing the cherry bomb with a silencer and see how you get on? You should be able to do that for free if you pick up a used silencer.

Brian

The problem with diesel exhausts they seem to last for ever , so I will be using a larger bore when it rots out. In practice - I don't think there can be much additional resistance , possibly more so with the turbo version :eek:

Same here. I got a 2.5NAD in my 109. Exhaust at the minute is 2.25 diesel front with 2.25 petrol rear sections. I have a Steve Parker big bore pipe waiting to go on once the old one has rotten through. Being a Steve Parker pipe I bet it probably won't fit properly first time either!

Most small exhaust fitters and garages are happy to let you look through there old take-offs. Many systems on their scrap pile will have good boxes and pipes and with a bit of cut and shutting a good system can be made.

Yup this is where most of my exhaust system came from :) Transit van, Honda accord estate, and a corsa :eek:

unfortunatly no welder so boding and building is a bit out the question atm!

ivej sut been down to my local landrover parts place - york landrover services - and they are telling me it wont fit. he will order the parts in for me but wont say whether they will fit. has anyone got any part numbers for the front pipe? as thats the one thats causing the issues.
apparently is got a 2.5 front pipe on it now, but its been cut and clamped into a felxi pipe. exiting under the ns door. (illegal?)

thanks - ben

its been cut and clamped into a felxi pipe. exiting under the ns door. (illegal?)

thanks - ben

Nope legal.. As long as it exits behind the windscreen I believe.. something like tht.. under the door is legal, maybe not sensible though with the windows open!

unfortunatly no welder so boding and building is a bit out the question atm!

ivej sut been down to my local landrover parts place - york landrover services - and they are telling me it wont fit. he will order the parts in for me but wont say whether they will fit. has anyone got any part numbers for the front pipe? as thats the one thats causing the issues.
apparently is got a 2.5 front pipe on it now, but its been cut and clamped into a felxi pipe. exiting under the ns door. (illegal?)

thanks - ben

Where abouts are you, not far away from YLS

Aidan

hi there, im in selby, or at weekends i am anyway. - yo83na -

from what he was saying its the petrol front downpipe. to the diesel system. its the front pipe thats causing the problems.

thanks - ben

Ben

Not far indeed, there is Cabbie in the area as well, I do know a chap who might be able to improve the exaust for you, he has a number of potental doners for parts (series/Defenders/RRC and Discos) ... its worth a thought, drop me a PM

I would offer to help but my welding skills look more like a woodpecker!

Aidan

If the 2.5 has its correct exhaust manifold still on the series front pipe wont marry up as the flange and olive end are bigger on the 2.5. Hence your 2.5 down pipe cut and modified. Std series 3 bolt manifold will fit the engine perfectly and then a standard series exhaust fits the vehicle. This is not perfect as the pipe bore is a bit restrictive with a 2.5 but if you are not racing about it will suffice and the exhaust is totally std as a benefit.
'Petrol front pipe to diesel system' bunk, see above, the difference between petrol and diesel systems is just the down pipe shape at the manifold end, middle pipe and silencer are the same parts on both.

thanks for that massive help!! it has teh standard 2.5 manifold on at closer inspection, as its painted in the same exmod green paint as the rest of the block, leading me to assume its standard.
now on the hunt for a series diesel manifold!

many thanks again!
and ive a mate with a series 3 diesel in bits in thorpe willoughby, im borrowing the new exhaust off him tomorrow to see how things look

cheers - ben

All you need to do to make a 2.25 diesel exhaust fit the 2.5NAD manifold is swap the triangular clamp piece that bolts up onto the manifold. I did it by cutting the new 2.25 exhaust, swapping the flanges over and rewelding the 2.25 exhaust back together.

think ill keep my eyes open for a manifold. so if anyone has one in hull york beverley or anythign in between that theyre willing to part with for a few beer/petrol tokens let us know!

thanks - ben

All you need to do to make a 2.25 diesel exhaust fit the 2.5NAD manifold is swap the triangular clamp piece that bolts up onto the manifold. I did it by cutting the new 2.25 exhaust, swapping the flanges over and rewelding the 2.25 exhaust back together.

Well i found out the awkward way that the olive end is also bigger on a 2.5.

Well i found out the awkward way that the olive end is also bigger on a 2.5.

Really? I found it to be a good fit, well, it doesn't leak gas anyway! 2.25 diesel downpipe fitted with 2.5 triangular mounting flange bit is what I run.

I think the 2.5 exhaust come with either an olive end or ring ended. I wonder if the manifolds are different to correspond to the differing downpipe options.

Back
Top Bottom