• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 3, 2.5n/a exhaust

Yup different manifold dependant on olive or ring joint, i have both.
The olives are different sizes as the way i found out was that i only changed the flange on my 2.25 diesel front pipe and initially it did seal but the flange was fully home against the manifold, after a few months it was leaking but the flange was still tight.
The fix was a strip of steel banding cut to form a spacer between the back of the olive and the inside of the flange. Not perfect but at the time it was the only answer. At the time of modifying the front pipe I did not use the olive from the flange donor pipe as it had been bent distorting the olive beyond usefullness.

The correct diameter pipe for a 2.5 is 2". The 2.25 exhaust is well under sized and is very restrictive. The reduction in power and torque is not large, but one large manifestation of the undersize exhaust is the inability of the engine to keep cool when working hard, ie up a long hill in 4th gear. the temperature rises and takes a very long time to cool again unless the engine is driven with high revs in a low gear (that was with a brand new water pump, thermostat, 4-row rad and pipes). Fitting the correct size exhaust cures this overheating problem instantly.

thanks for the help everyone! ive managed to acquire a full exhaust for a tenner, inc hanger kit. (how does it all go together as ive nothing for refence, my lightweight is different!) just on the hunt for a manifold, going passed blanchards tomorrow on the way back to college, ill try them see if they have a second hand one kicking about. then time to **** the landlady off and take it all appart on the drive!

thanks - ben

oh yeah it doesnt look muich smaller than the 2.5dp thats on now. should be alright (i hope!)

Back
Top Bottom