• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 3 Hazards working, indicators not

After my most recent foray behind the dash, my indicators have stopped working. I'm assuming I've possibly dislodged a wire somewhere. I have the Autosparks hazard loom which uses the existing 2 pin indicator relay (which clicks when hazards are on) and a five pin relay (which makes no sound). Any pointers please, I'm confused as to why the hazards work when the indicators don't.

After my most recent foray behind the dash, my indicators have stopped working. I'm assuming I've possibly dislodged a wire somewhere. I have the Autosparks hazard loom which uses the existing 2 pin indicator relay (which clicks when hazards are on) and a five pin relay (which makes no sound). Any pointers please, I'm confused as to why the hazards work when the indicators don't.
Not sure which generation of wiring you have but mine is the later Series 3 which has quite a complex hazard switch and 2 flasher relays - one for indicators and the other for hazards... it's possible for either the hazard or indicator relay to fail, usually because one of them is full of water or corroded. The hazard relay has the extra terminal going to the warning lamp in the switch.

They both come off different fused circuits so it's worth checking for constant a 12v on the hazard relay and switched 12v on the indicator relay.

A poor connection in the multiway hazard switch can also cause the direction indicators to stop working. It's basically a 2 way changeover switch.

Last edited:
Just checked all the connections and still no joy. 😥
As the indicator relay clicks when the hazard switch is in operation, could it be the indicator stalk that is faulty?

At the stalk area of the loom, jump the green/brown and the green/white or green/red and see if things happen at the lights. That will bypass the flasher.
If that doesn't work, join the flasher wires together and operate the stalk. The lights should light up to prove everything else works ok.

At the stalk area of the loom, jump the green/brown and the green/white or green/red and see if things happen at the lights. That will bypass the flasher.
If that doesn't work, join the flasher wires together and operate the stalk. The lights should light up to prove everything else works ok.
Thanks, I think that makes sense, stand by for more dumb questions tomorrow afternoon! 😂

Exciting update! After checking every connection was secure (and ordering a new indicator stalk) I have solved the electrical conundrum! I noticed that the hazard switch lamp was sometimes intermittent so I removed it and guess what? The indicators now work! So I need to buy a new lamp and I have two flasher units and a genuine indicator stalk for the stock cupboard - result!

Offending article ⬇️
IMG_9755.jpg

It's more likely that you disturbed an intermittent connection whilst changing the bulb rather than the bulb itself. The hazard switch has a brass barrel open to the elements which engages with leaf contacts for either the hazard circuit or the indicator circuit in a changeover fashion, and if you are lucky the contacts could just be dirty.

The pressure of the contacts on the brass barrel relies on the round spade connector mating socket, and you often find that a poor spade connection has partially melted the plastic in the connector and a contact becomes loose (excessive force from the wiring harness doesn't help). It's important to re-establish a good connection as it can only get worse.
On my hazard switch two of the spade connectors in the socket had melted, and the only option was to solder flexible extension wires to it and secure the base together using araldite epoxy resin. The other option is to pay an obscene price for a super-rare Lucas/Hella switch and/or connector.

It's more likely that you disturbed an intermittent connection whilst changing the bulb rather than the bulb itself. The hazard switch has a brass barrel open to the elements which engages with leaf contacts for either the hazard circuit or the indicator circuit in a changeover fashion, and if you are lucky the contacts could just be dirty.

The pressure of the contacts on the brass barrel relies on the round spade connector mating socket, and you often find that a poor spade connection has partially melted the plastic in the connector and a contact becomes loose (excessive force from the wiring harness doesn't help). It's important to re-establish a good connection as it can only get worse.
On my hazard switch two of the spade connectors in the socket had melted, and the only option was to solder flexible extension wires to it and secure the base together using araldite epoxy resin. The other option is to pay an obscene price for a super-rare Lucas/Hella switch and/or connector.
Thanks, will investigate over the weekend

iv been following this thread as finding electrical faults was one of my most challenging of vehicle repairs and rewarding, im not a series 3 owner and not ofay with the wiring looms of the S3 but thy sound horrendous with possible faults every where, i made my own hazard wiring for my S2A linked into the indicators, personally i agree with Mr Stein and SWB Freeloader possibly the bulb is not the fault.

iv been following this thread as finding electrical faults was one of my most challenging of vehicle repairs and rewarding, im not a series 3 owner and not ofay with the wiring looms of the S3 but thy sound horrendous with possible faults every where, i made my own hazard wiring for my S2A linked into the indicators, personally i agree with Mr Stein and SWB Freeloader possibly the bulb is not the fault.
I have an Autosparks loom which plugs into the indicator circuit, so it's straightforward replacement wise. I will take the hazard switch out this weekend and if necessary I will buy a new one.

Back
Top Bottom