• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series III Full Electric Conversion

Looks like G00se78 hasnt been back since May.
I wonder if a lot of the anti-EV sentiment being expressed drove him off.
Shame as it was an interesting project.
I wonder if he ever got it on the road...

There is quite a bit of Anti-EV commentary on this forum, and it is quite off-putting at times.
Could be he's joined a more EV friendly forum or Facebook group. I use this forum for general Landy stuff, and all my EV conversion planning elsewhere.
I think there are plenty of people here who are genuinely interested, but probably not a lot of constructive support, assistance or experience.

Or maybe the project has just stalled. Battery boxes and motor adapter plates are something you can really get stuck into with your existing knowledge & skillset, then when it comes to things like BMS wiring, you're crossing the boundaries of conventional home Land-Rover tinkering and it quickly gets both complicated and tedious, with the potential for costly mistakes if you connect the wrong wires in the wrong order. Also expensive!
276242512_2089739484542235_5862814274644134258_n.jpg

Some more progress on the battery brackets. This pack is damn heavy so I need to make it fairly secure.

View attachment 287482
The picture of the battery bracket made me wonder if the torsion of the chassis has been taken into account.
I would not have thought a battery pack would take kindly to be twisted and/or bent on a regular basis even if the movements are only slight.
But what do I know?
I know very little about how large batteries are attached to modern electric vehicles or their ability to take torsion.

There is quite a bit of Anti-EV commentary on this forum, and it is quite off-putting at times.
Im probably guilty of that (along with many others). I dont want one and I think the current battery technology is unsupportable in the existing infrastructure and a dead end, but Im still interested in the technology.
I think EV have their uses and places where they are superior to ICE, same as horses and mules do. But outside of short commuter or inner city uses (where you are shifting pollution elsewhere, and possibly further from where they cause immediate harm to people) , I dont think they are practical at present.

Edit; Just to say that Im fine with hybrids. All the advantages (range etc) of ICE, but able to drive with zero emissions when required. But I dont think hybrid technology is going to be successfully applied to ICE-converted vehicles any time soon...

The picture of the battery bracket made me wonder if the torsion of the chassis has been taken into account.
I would not have thought a battery pack would take kindly to be twisted and/or bent on a regular basis even if the movements are only slight.
But what do I know?
I know very little about how large batteries are attached to modern electric vehicles or their ability to take torsion.
On conversions, the high voltage batteries should be held within large sealed boxes, (but vented with a moisture proof membrane and that vent point can be raised for deep water as required).

They're usually steel or Aluminium and should be attached to the chassis roughly the same way as a fuel tank.
Several companies have made tanks that fit in the same location as underseat tanks, but have ignored LR's use of single rear bolt with a rubber bushing and bolted it rigidly in place, like a twonk.
At least one company I've heard of had problems with the boxes cracking due, probably due to twisting, and were then redesigned to allow for it.

You can also get forces from different metals expanding at different rates that might have caused cracking, but the solution is the same.

It's not an immediate disaster like it would be with a fuel tank, but allows moisture in that is not good long term.
The battery boxes should not be designed to take Torsion, but mounted in a way where they are not under torsion - just like a fuel tank.
So it can so if it sits on a cradle, that's fine, as long as it's not rigidly bolted in a way that makes a fully stressed member.

Im probably guilty of that (along with many others). I dont want one and I think the current battery technology is unsupportable in the existing infrastructure and a dead end, but Im still interested in the technology.
I think EV have their uses and places where they are superior to ICE, same as horses and mules do. But outside of short commuter or inner city uses (where you are shifting pollution elsewhere, and possibly further from where they cause immediate harm to people) , I dont think they are practical at present.

Edit; Just to say that Im fine with hybrids. All the advantages (range etc) of ICE, but able to drive with zero emissions when required. But I dont think hybrid technology is going to be successfully applied to ICE-converted vehicles any time soon...
I have a plug in hybrid at the moment and the level of integration between the electric motor and engine is amazing. You often don't notice when it switches between the two.
The only was I can see this working as a conversion is to take the whole system from a write-off PHEV, ICE engine and Electric motor, inverter, and control systems. You could use A larger or smaller battery pack as long as it's the right voltage and can supply enough current.

However, I won't be buying another hybrid. I've made several journeys from Edinburgh to the South Coast of England and the Highlands in pure EVs (Camper van and cars) and not had any problems with finding chargers or the time needed to charge on a long journey.
I admit, I'm not the kind of guy who drives for 4 hours without a break. I have a bladder and a Coffee habit, so a 15-20 minute stop every 2 hours is what I already did when driving an ICE vehicle.

Charging speeds, availability of chargers is getting better all the time, and more importantly charging networks are moving away from stupid membership structures where you must register and have their app or RFID card to use a charger to simply having a contactless terminal on the charger. Reliability of chargers can still be a problem, but that is also improving as they get used morea and the networks actually loose money when they don't work.

(I'm not trying to convert anybody, you're entitled to your opinion and preferences, but the fake memes and misinformation do irritate me.)

We are hearing the horror stories of the EV! And now the UK government is waffling! The entire net zero bs is unrealistic. Ask Germany. They are being deindustrialized by their radical green energy programs. If most people would walk away from the main stream media, and do some of their own research, they would realize that they’ve been hoodwinked. Just like the Covid jab.
image000000.jpeg

I have a plug in hybrid at the moment and the level of integration between the electric motor and engine is amazing. You often don't notice when it switches between the two.
The only was I can see this working as a conversion is to take the whole system from a write-off PHEV, ICE engine and Electric motor, inverter, and control systems. You could use A larger or smaller battery pack as long as it's the right voltage and can supply enough current.

However, I won't be buying another hybrid. I've made several journeys from Edinburgh to the South Coast of England and the Highlands in pure EVs (Camper van and cars) and not had any problems with finding chargers or the time needed to charge on a long journey.
I admit, I'm not the kind of guy who drives for 4 hours without a break. I have a bladder and a Coffee habit, so a 15-20 minute stop every 2 hours is what I already did when driving an ICE vehicle.

Charging speeds, availability of chargers is getting better all the time, and more importantly charging networks are moving away from stupid membership structures where you must register and have their app or RFID card to use a charger to simply having a contactless terminal on the charger. Reliability of chargers can still be a problem, but that is also improving as they get used morea and the networks actually loose money when they don't work.

(I'm not trying to convert anybody, you're entitled to your opinion and preferences, but the fake memes and misinformation do irritate me.)
One of the things I enjoy the most about this forum is the open positive exchange of opinions and information. Almost always with no offence given or taken. Long may it continue!

Hi Goose is there any chance you might have dimensions for these battery boxes?!? I am building a Landrover Series 2a with leaf components now :)
We haven't heard from Goose for a while. If you do Facebook, join the 'Electric LandRover and 4x4 EV Conversions' group.
There are a several people there who have completed Leaf based conversions and been daily driving them for a while.

Been wondering about any updates to this thread.. Thanks for the tip about the Facebook group. I personally think electric is brilliant - for the right application.

I don't drive either my S3 or my 90 very much, and when I do it's not big journeys (10-20 miles), so I'm definitely keen to do a conversion on my 90 - it would be perfect, plus, it already needs a fairly thorough rebuild so might as well do two birds with one stone. And it'd make it a damn sight quieter.. Would be great if Goose came back with an update, it's a cracking project and one I'd love to do myself!

That being the case, unless you have a need to use the off-road or load-carrying capabilities of an LR, why not spend the same money on a Leaf and drive in comfort and silence..?
Simples - amongst other more practical things (needing four wheel drive at points of the year) because I like Land Rovers and not Nissan Leafs ;)

Back
Top Bottom