• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series III

krazyhorse

In Second Gear
Hi all,
I have taken the decision to replace my original 2 1/4 petrol (its just given up after clocking up 184,000) with a rover V8. my question is because I would like to keep the original recently refurbed gearbox, which rover v8 should i choose?

I have seen various engines on ebay and I dont mind if I have to rebuild one but there are lots of different variants. So any advice would be welcomed.

welcome to the forum!

I'm not really that clued up on this but, i think the general impression is that unless you are very careful with your right foot you will ruin the box fairly quickly.... i think many change to the lt77 / lt95 gearbox.....

you would easily be able to sell your current gear box!

ben

a series box will handle a v8 if driven carefully. its been done since v8's first appeared. as long as you dont do fast getaways, and only use the power in 4th gear so it doesnt go through the layshaft, then it should last a good few miles. yes an lt77 is a stronger box, but there are complications with fitting one. i would choose a nice 3.5 litre, nothing bigger, with carbs, probably an old range rover one, or a p6 for a bit more grunt. you will get twice the power for the same economy, but a much much bigger grin factor.

Mine was from a 1994 Disco I believe, but I swapped the efi for Twin SU carbs. It a lot of fiddling around - satancom did a very good thread on his conversion. You'll need conversion plate, bulkhead mods, remote filter, and new exhaust. Flywheels need work - I sourced an old Rover SD1 but any can be adapted.

Worth it though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3yWF46K6A

3.5 on twin SU's would be my vote. keep the series box, as people have said its fine when treated carefully (especially as your box is newly refurbed). changing to the lt77 is a good conversion, but adds extra complications, and will take more money and time to complete.

Thanks for the info.
I really want to keep the box and am only choosing the V8 for the Noise Factor. the landy is a weekend car so wont be used on a daily basis and im sure if I drive it should serve me well. So i will back on the search for a 3.5. is there a company that makes the adapter plate, if so could anyone recommend.
Thanks again. Keith.

look on the bay mate. theres always adaptor plates on there for not much money. several companies made them. engine mount wise, you can get them that bolt onto the v8 and pick up on the standard chassis mounts, or weld v8 mounts onto your chassis. the pasenger bulkhead footwell needs a bit of surgery and the standard rad will cope so long as its good.

Back
Top Bottom