• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Steering Relay

Satancom

Staff member
Mines got more play than the play bus... Seems the aftermarket ones are made of cheese and rebuild kits are not much better. Any thoughs what I can do? Are there any good aftermarket ones?

How much of a struggle was it getting the spring back in? I have seen some scary looking solutions involving cable ties.. That said I do have a press available so shouldnt be to much drama

Mines got more play than the play bus...

Showing your age there Mr Jolly...:)

Easy enough to weld up a tool to compress the spring in with, looks a bit like a thread cutting die holder (you know, taps and dies)

I bought a replacement relay from paddocks. Seems okay...so far. Not much to choose from any of the suppliers in price, tbh.

I used this which I had knocked up since made the second one but looking for and old relay to test it on , think it needs a collar underneath to stop spring sliding.
IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

Attachments

• Steering relay spring compressor tool.pdf
    181.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
I made one with a collar similar to the second image. Collar ran at 90° to the flat round plate. Worked okay, but found that the shaft I removed was U.S. and the casing actually had a hairline crack in it! Hence the replacement.

Thats great, thank you for the pictures. I think the best course of action for me will be put an aftermarket replacement in and rebuild mine at my leisure. I only have the ramp at the weekend, so if something goes wrong with the rebuild (like its cracked or i destroy it taking it out) I would have to roll it out into the yard and it would gt in the way. Don't want to take the mick as im lucky to get the use of the workshop when I want.

Least I know there is someone out there running an aftermarket relay without dramas

I've just put together a big order of bits for my chassis swap. Spoke with Craddocks about brands of hydraulic brake bits and steering relays. They sell both aftermarket and genuine. Advice from Craddocks was that the standard aftermarket relays were absolutely fine.

AP Lockeed are the best wheel cylinders and bits i have found yet quality wise. Price wise there affordable, but not the blue bootom of the barrel affordable :)

AP Lockeed are the best wheel cylinders and bits i have found yet quality wise. Price wise there affordable, but not the blue bootom of the barrel affordable :)

I regularly use AP Lockheed brake bits on the various vehicles I work on and have never had a problem. Also use Drivetec parts without issue although I don't know if they do land rover parts.

gill

I seem to remember reading on here about a Britpart relay on which the shaft actually sheared off!! Can you remember that and is there any truth in it?

Back
Top Bottom