• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

The "normal things going on" thread.

The one we had....prepare for convoluted tale. Got coffee and biscuits ready?

In 1975 we were driving in Manchester, we had an old 1964 Renault 8, rear engine. Well, there was a buxom lass washing a car, and dad was watching her, not the road. Hit an oncoming car and the Renault shrunk by about 3 feet.

So, uncle was a dodgy used car salesman, he sold us this mini traveller as we were moving to Ayrshire and needed a car.

What a trip up the M6 that was. Head gasket leaking, stop at every services to top the header tank up.

Got moved in eventually, lots of adventures, removals lorry got stuck on the road up to the house, driver in fear for his life ..

So Dad decides it's time to sort the head gasket. He undid the bolts, but the head wouldnt come off. He was trying to lever it off, screw drivers, chisels.... Well, a week or so later I went into the garage and he's cursing away at it.... I looked at it and said "why don't you undo 'those' bolts!"

"Bugger off, I know what I'm doing!"

A day or so later, "BANG" one of 'those' bolts had snapped under the strain (yes, really) and embedded itself in the garage ceiling. Undid the other three and the head literally jumped off. We laughed after...

Well, it was a bit pitted, like..😏. So, dad used araldite to stick the head and gasket back on. It worked just fine!

About a week later driving to town, BANG again, rear subframe let go. So traded it in.... The least rotten part of that car was the wooden frame on the traveller bit!

Couple weeks later I'm on the school bus and see the mini driving round having had the subframe sorted ..and there's another BANG and a huge cloud of steam. 🤣

Dad was in the garage where we did the trade soon after filling up the Landy. Owner says "that bloody mini, some silly bugger had glued the head on with epoxy, and it blew up!"

Dad just said "Wow! I got rid of it just in time, then? Lucky escape..."

We didn't fill up there again for a while....🤣🤣

How were your biscuits and coffee?
Great tale that love it 👍

Dad seems a character for sure ,it’s amazing what people did years ago with cars it was a case of a self fix and anyhow to get it going ,bit like with an old land rover and like minded vehicle ownership now …

Don’t know what there missing the young generation now .

Great tale that love it 👍

Dad seems a character for sure ,it’s amazing what people did years ago with cars it was a case of a self fix and anyhow to get it going ,bit like with an old land rover and like minded vehicle ownership now …

Don’t know what there missing the young generation now .
True, dat.

Just got me thinking, that's 50ish years ago. 50ish years of mucking about with Land Rovers! Proof I never learn....

Like they say though, owners manual used to tell you how to set the points, adjusts the tappets etc. Nowadays, set the entertainment system, and don't lick the battery. 🤣🤣

The pool I've spent all winter maintaining - but been a tad slack the last couple of weeks so it had a few dead flies on the top and the sides had algae the misses has thrown out - all it needed was the filter back washing and a dose of chlorine. She's drained it and binned it. What a total waste of man hours + money on the bigger filter setup + electric to run it.

Also I'm very selfish because I haven't setup a funeral plan or palliative care plan yet - I need to do it as it's all too much for her to sort out. WTF here's a few properties and enough money to see you right for a while but you need to make some phone calls to get it. Too much WTAF!

Can't win for trying - giving up F the world!

It's very easy to see how some blokes pop out for milk and never come home and start a new life elsewhere never to be seen again. Its a good job the defender is off the road otherwise it'd be tempting to just grab a few clothes load up the tools and be done.

Would the Series at the back be £125 quid ..love old photos .View attachment 531343
My father had a Ford Consul (base model in the Zephyr range), replaced with an Anglia when it died, which was, itself, replaced with a Mark 1 Cortina.
I have more memories of the Consul than the others. Red vinyl bench seat in the front, column change (three speed?). Back doors held shut with string...even fell out, once. Felt like a huge car but, see one today and it looks tiny compared to modern cars.
Iirc the Consul had vacuum windscreen wipers, which would slow down when accelerating to overtake. Floor-mounted headlight dip switch.
Funny the things that stick in your mind.
I had a steering wheel which stuck on the dashboard with a suction cup, so I could pretend to be driving...

My father had a Ford Consul (base model in the Zephyr range), replaced with an Anglia when it died, which was, itself, replaced with a Mark 1 Cortina.
I have more memories of the Consul than the others. Red vinyl bench seat in the front, column change (three speed?). Back doors held shut with string...even fell out, once. Felt like a huge car but, see one today and it looks tiny compared to modern cars.
Iirc the Consul had vacuum windscreen wipers, which would slow down when accelerating to overtake. Floor-mounted headlight dip switch.
Funny the things that stick in your mind.
I had a steering wheel which stuck on the dashboard with a suction cup, so I could pretend to be driving...
You certainly don’t have as much fun in a new car an all those gadgets working properly ..gone are the days a .

the flatbed truck looks as if its an austin or morris . over the years most of the bigger cars in that photo i probably had a few of the same type if only i had kept them. who thinks in 50 years people will be looking back at photos of some chinese electric crap and saying wish i hat kept that.

My dad's first car was his parents Austin A30, his first purchase was an A35 van I believe. Mum and dad had fond memories of travelling from Arbroath to London in a Morris 1000 traveller. They did 50mph and stopped at every service station to check oil and water.
They also lived out in Kenya for a while and my mum passed her driving test out there. Her first car was a Morris Minor (split windscreen and trafficators). While out in Kenya my dad had several heavily modified Renault including a Renault 5 with raised suspension and sump guard that they took out into the wildlife parks.
Kind of miss the stories of cars my dad used to tell.

My dad's first car was his parents Austin A30, his first purchase was an A35 van I believe. Mum and dad had fond memories of travelling from Arbroath to London in a Morris 1000 traveller. They did 50mph and stopped at every service station to check oil and water.
They also lived out in Kenya for a while and my mum passed her driving test out there. Her first car was a Morris Minor (split windscreen and trafficators). While out in Kenya my dad had several heavily modified Renault including a Renault 5 with raised suspension and sump guard that they took out into the wildlife parks.
Kind of miss the stories of cars my dad used to tell.
That was my mums car an Austin A30 its name was Alice ..little black one …..sound good times .

Normal stuff today:

Add another coat of oil to Samuel's airgun.

1000025781.jpg

Clean out the big fish tank, clean the filter, take some young Bristlenose pleco to the local fish shop.

Buy some food for when the gannet amd his younger sister arrive.

My dad had an old Morris van followed by a Vauxhall victor 2300 estate which he sold in 1974 and never had another car no one else in the family was interested in cars/driving I’m not sure where I get my motoring genes from maybe the postman 😂😂😂

The pool I've spent all winter maintaining - but been a tad slack the last couple of weeks so it had a few dead flies on the top and the sides had algae the misses has thrown out - all it needed was the filter back washing and a dose of chlorine. She's drained it and binned it. What a total waste of man hours + money on the bigger filter setup + electric to run it.

Also I'm very selfish because I haven't setup a funeral plan or palliative care plan yet - I need to do it as it's all too much for her to sort out. WTF here's a few properties and enough money to see you right for a while but you need to make some phone calls to get it. Too much WTAF!

Can't win for trying - giving up F the world!

It's very easy to see how some blokes pop out for milk and never come home and start a new life elsewhere never to be seen again. Its a good job the defender is off the road otherwise it'd be tempting to just grab a few clothes load up the tools and be done.
I feel for you mate. Well done for trying anyway... :thumbsup:

Hi, a few more steam engine pics, I didn’t mean to post the first picture into a monthly competition….
I’m wanting to do some jobs on my puma defender in my garage from now on so I can learn what is where and do my own services.

Attachments

• IMG_8105.jpeg
    IMG_8105.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8106.jpeg
    IMG_8106.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8107.jpeg
    IMG_8107.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8108.jpeg
    IMG_8108.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8109.jpeg
    IMG_8109.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 14
Hi, a few more steam engine pics, I didn’t mean to post the first picture into a monthly competition….
I’m wanting to do some jobs on my puma defender in my garage from now on so I can learn what is where and do my own services.
That is beautiful great work was it all hand built .? Always amazes me how smooth these run .just a purr and puff of smoke .

Having trouble with the Mountfield petrol push mower. Last time I used it it started first pull of the cord. This time it wouldn't start at all. Tipped it upright and found some strimmer wire wrapped around the blade stopping it from turning. I removed the wire and it would then start on the choke and run really lumpy. Found a twig behind the spark plug lead removed the lead and the twig, reattached the lead and it started and ran fine for a couple minutes then it died again. Not its starting on the choke and running really lumpy again. Spark plug lead doesn't seem to make a difference. Help!?

Perhaps the petrol has gone off,
Lots of stories about lawnmowers and gennys not liking being left with the new e fuel in them, my bro in law couldnt start his lawnmower after a few weeks of not being used, he noticed that the petrol smelt 'weak', he tipped a bit out and put a flame to it and it didnt burn, fresh fuel and all was o.k,
The general idea now for storage is to turn the fuel off and run stuff till the carb is empty,

Perhaps the petrol has gone off,
Lots of stories about lawnmowers and gennys not liking being left with the new e fuel in them, my bro in law couldnt start his lawnmower after a few weeks of not being used, he noticed that the petrol smelt 'weak', he tipped a bit out and put a flame to it and it didnt burn, fresh fuel and all was o.k,
The general idea now for storage is to turn the fuel off and run stuff till the carb is empty,
I only put the fuel in about a week ago. The ride on mower with the same fuel in it is working fine.

Back
Top Bottom