• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

The "normal things going on" thread.

E5? Posh...
;)

The fact that it was running fine for a few minutes before stopping means there nothing much going wrong. My first thought would be some crap got in the carb...

E5? Posh...
;)

The fact that it was running fine for a few minutes before stopping means there nothing much going wrong. My first thought would be some crap got in the carb...
Only a 5 litre can. :)
I suppose it could be. This is the 3rd time it's been run this year so I thought all the crap would have been pulled through the system.
I had it running rough at lor rpm then increased it and it suddenly burst back into life for a few seconds then died again.

Have you checked the air filter ?
Air filter seems clear if a little dirty.

Is it chucking out smoke, and has the fuel consumption of the Exxon Valdez?

In which case I would suspect the carburettor diaphragm. It's a Briggs and Stratton engine, isn't it? Leads to difficult starting, lots of smoke and won't run without choke.

Is it chucking out smoke, and has the fuel consumption of the Exxon Valdez?

In which case I would suspect the carburettor diaphragm. It's a Briggs and Stratton engine, isn't it? Leads to difficult starting, lots of smoke and won't run without choke.
No smoke at all.
Pretty sure it's a Briggs engine though it's a cheap B&Q model so it might be a cheaper engine. It's a Mountfield SP536 if that helps.

I was starting to wonder if it could be fuel starvation but I'm not so up on petrol engines. Will have to have a look at the carb tomorrow I suspect.

The whole carb should only cost about £20 anyway.

Mountfields own engine on the sp536 I think. They used honda and Briggs and Stratton on various models. First thing I'd do is take the air cleaner off and spray a load of carb cleaner into the intake. Will smoke like a smokey thing...give the sponge a good clean out and re oil it.

If that's not doing it, time to look deeper, check for a decent spark etc.

I bloody hate lawn mowers! We used to have lots of Briggs and Stratton engines about the place, bale elevators, spate pumps, gennies, a vibropiler, and the only one that ever gave any trouble was the one in the bloody Flymo.

We got a Mountfield mower given to us by the neighbour. It wouldn't run and tinkering didn't improve it. A new £16 carb off ebay fixed it though. It's a Briggs and Stratton engine. David
I know most are Briggs and Stratton but had vague memories of the B&Q ones being built different. Most annoying as it started first pull of cord last use.

The whole carb should only cost about £20 anyway.

Mountfields own engine on the sp536 I think. They used honda and Briggs and Stratton on various models. First thing I'd do is take the air cleaner off and spray a load of carb cleaner into the intake. Will smoke like a smokey thing...give the sponge a good clean out and re oil it.

If that's not doing it, time to look deeper, check for a decent spark etc.

I bloody hate lawn mowers! We used to have lots of Briggs and Stratton engines about the place, bale elevators, spate pumps, gennies, a vibropiler, and the only one that ever gave any trouble was the one in the bloody Flymo.
Hmm don't have any carb cleaner. Will put that on my shopping list. Will clean the filter too.
The spark plug does seem to have a rather dirty top, maybe I should give it a clean?
We ended up buying a cordless electric mower for the front lawns to minimise maintenance but still use the old petrol one for rougher areas.
Got a generator but its only used when the power goes out. Real pain to start the machine is light but the pull cord is stiff so whenever you pull it you end up moving rhe generator instead of starting the engine. 😆

Been shopping at Ann Summers..?
Tut tut. No, I think that might do a bit of damage. Though I reckon I know a few wenches that it would fit....😏

One of these...

Screenshot_20240509-105904.png

But with an 8 foot Flexi shaft and a 2 foot vibrating poker. Great for whitehand.

Flexible shafts and vibrating poles? Sounds like someone's having a good time.

Checked over the mower again this morning, tried it with the fuel cap off to see if lack of air was an issue. It made no difference. Then tried with the air filter off, which also made no difference. Left it in the sun for a while and tried again. It started and ran perfectly for about a minute then died. 3 times it did this and now its back to running lumpy again. Must be the carb so that's my next stop.

Tis the season to lay eggs.... This collared dove is right outside the back door. Tia milling around in the background.

Initially the dove flew away every time I went in and out, but guess she's used to me now.

The thrush is a bit peeved though, she had to nest round the corner this year! (No pic of her, nest is about 3 ft off the ground, so can't let the dogs out round there, and I'm trying to give her space.)

View attachment 529595
Remember the dove nesting outside the back door....?

Babies last week...

PXL_20240510_192238216_copy_1024x768.jpg

Here's her babies now.
PXL_20240513_173030429.MP_copy_1024x768.jpg

Won't be long until they leave.

Mrs Blackbird has 4 chicks in the nest, but as they are about 2 feet off the ground I'm giving her plenty peace.

I finished last weeks job off today as last week was a 4 bank holiday another small bathroom with wall panels a huge difference to the old one with shity painted wall tiles and old battered suite

Attachments

• IMG_6261.jpeg
    IMG_6261.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6260.jpeg
    IMG_6260.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6259.jpeg
    IMG_6259.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6258.jpeg
    IMG_6258.jpeg