• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Tyre choice on Wolf Rims

TRR Motorsport

Overdrive!
I've just bought a set of new wolf rims and Goodyear G90 tyres for my 110 off E-bay. An absolute bargain at £300 the lot. I bought them to replace my standard 110 steels and Michelin tyres as I've always been a fan of Wolf rims and used to have a set on my old lightweight.

The G90 tyres are a bit knobbly (and narrow) for my everyday driver so I thought I'd get some BFG A/Ts or Goodyear MTRs but will 265/75/16 tyres fit on the 6.5" Wolf rims or will I have to run 235/85/16 tyres?

Also Series IIB forward control rims as used on Camel Trophy Land Rovers. What width are they?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Where'd you get them from?
I'd go with 235's.
You could probably get away with 265's but it's not ideal on a 6.5" rim.

2B rims are also 6.5" wide, but have 1/2" more offset than a Wolf rim. If you're looking at buying a set of 2B rims make sure they're not just a 2A/late 1Tonne rim. They're the same dimensions as a Wolf rim and are not worth anywhere near the same sort of money.

swag

why are 265's not ideal? surely the 1/2" difference between a wolf and the majority of 16x7 rims wouldnt make that much difference? better not anyway... we've got wolfs on the way and i want 265s on them eventually lol

Because a 265 is more or less 10.50" wide. That makes 2" of tyre hanging over each side of the rim.
LR are already pushing it by pinching the 265 onto 7" Freestyle alloys.
Yeah, it's only 1/2", but then the next guy thinks "Yeah, it's a 6" rim. That's only 1/2" less than those Wolf rims. Can't make that much difference....."

The wider tyre you fit to a rim the less stable the side wall gets. Running them over inflated means the tread face bulges across the tyre...meaning the centre of the tread wears quicker than the edges...so you have to run them at lower pressures to get all the width of the tread to hit the floor properly which makes them less stable again. (That's why you re-inflate your tyres if you've been running them low for low speed, off road traction.) .....then because you're running them at lower pressures that increases the sidewall flex even more.....which means the tyre runs hotter.......which means it wears quicker, becomes less stable again......and is more likely to destroy itself by delaminating and blowing out on you.

Extreme scenario, but that's why tyre manufacturers have fitment and pressure guides so the right tyre goes on the right wheel goes on the right vehicle.

swag

Loads of people fit 235's on lwb 5.5" rims without problems, but again it not ideal. LR only fitted 235's to 110's with the alloy wheels for the reasons above.

I'm not a "Tyre Nazi"......honest!

swag

ok i see what you mean, but when you say extreme scenario, are we talking not really likely to happen? if it would cause a big problem then id just have to stick with 235's, but id rather have wider ones..

well we wont be doing anything really heavy with them, so i shouldnt see there being a problem.. but hey we will see! got 235/85s to go on them at the moment anyway until we can afford er... anything.. nevermind tyres :p

i wouldn't worry about width too much.

i've seen several 285's on 6.5" rims and none with any trouble.
i run 285's on 7" rims, half inch shouldn't be too bad.

downside is on handling might be a bit worse as the tyres will squirm more.

to be honest i didn't notice any difference changing from 265/75's on 7" rims to 285's on 7" rims though.

land rover or whoever built the sas 110's used 9.00" tyres on both landie 5.5" and 6.5" rims.

I've got Goodyear Wrangler MTRs on my Wolfs. A fantastic tyre for all surfaces. They're not as aggressive as most other MTs but because of the softer compound to give them good road holding, they do appear to wear a bit quicker (you can't have it all ways :( ). And they look god too.:D

AJ

9.00" width tyres actually usually recommend a rim width of 6.5". A 9.00" tyre is usually around 255mm wide, so is less than a 265 or 285.

You could go with a 255/85R16, but I'd go with 235's if it was me. Actually if it was me, I'd go for an imperial size if possible, 750 or 825.

Man there's been alot of discussion on the forum about tyres & rims lately...I love it! :D

Cheers

8.25's get my vote every time!

swag

Attachments

• 100_0520 (Medium).JPG
    100_0520 (Medium).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,766
  • 100_0522 (Medium).JPG
    100_0522 (Medium).JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 485
8.25's do look good on a One Ten!

I like 7.50's on a Ninety :D Just need to change those Rostyles for some 5.5" standard rims & I'll be happy!

I wish the decent Michelin patterns were more common over here. They are like rocking horse sh*t here! We really only get the pavement-cruiser tread patterns.

Cheers

PS. I like that colour Swag ;)

Attachments

• Ninety After Resize.JPG
    Ninety After Resize.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 984
If it's just a case of tyres looking good, whatever the safety advice, why not fit Nova tyres?

I've seen plenty of 285s, so 265s must be OK...

I've seen plenty of Nova's going through red lights, it must...

Just an observation

ahhh. so the general feeling would be that 265s are ok, and even 285s? whatever... if (when we finally get some..) they come off and we end up in a ditch upside down, we'll know they weren't ok :D

hinsonberger said:
8.25's do look good on a One Ten!

I like 7.50's on a Ninety :D Just need to change those Rostyles for some 5.5" standard rims & I'll be happy!

I wish the decent Michelin patterns were more common over here. They are like rocking horse sh*t here! We really only get the pavement-cruiser tread patterns.

Cheers

PS. I like that colour Swag ;)
Are those SAT Crossplies I see on your 90!? :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom