• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now
  • Hi Guest,

We restrict posting in the sales areas to members who have made more than 10 posts and been registered here for more than 10 days, this is to help reduce the amount of scammers and fraudsters who may join up for that purpose.

Once you meet the requirements you will be given the ability to post in here.

Use of an Engine Crane - Bath/Bristol

MBessent

In Fourth Gear
**EDIT; CRANE NO LONGER REQUIRED**

Hello,
Clutch issues are stopping my enjoyment of my Series 2a, as such, the gearbox needs to come out.

While I've been told that a 2x4 and some determination can do the job, an engine crane seems to be the more appropriate technique. Current living situation in an upstairs flat does not facilitate me getting my own crane at the moment, plus I don't really want to shell out a few hundred quid for what """should""" be a relatively quick job.

As such, is there anyone in the Bath/ Bristol area who would allow me to borrow an engine crane for a weekend or two to get the gearbox out, workout what's wrong, hopefully fix and reinstall it?

I don't have a particular date in mind at the moment but Ideally I'd like to get this done in the next few weeks.

Happy to come and collect, and can return same day/weekend if required.

Thanks very much!
(If this sort of request isn't allowed here or would be better suited somewhere else please let me know!)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't find anybody to lend you one on forum, have a look at your local machine hire place, hss, that kind of place.

I hired one for a weekend once, it was about £50 I think. Then I bought one from Clarke tools, for about £130. Which is okay if you have somewhere to store it after!

You'd be welcome to borrow that, but it's a long way away.....🙂

I had to do something similar and it was less hassle to buy the crane…use it till it wasnt needed….then sold it on
Nett cost was less than the hire cost and i got to use it for as long as needed

Just looking at eBay, and they seem to be selling at about £180 average for a 1 tonne crane. That's three or four days hire give or take.

Problem I had with hiring, you pay the money, you get it home, then it pysses down and you can't get the job done.

Hopefully though this is academic, and there is someone on here local to you that can lend you one. 🤞

Reactions: URX
A local lend would be ideal, just saves the faff of purchasing and reselling, but if I don't get a response I'll definitely look into rental or or other pathways.

I figure it's very much a "don't ask, don't get" situation so I thought I'd try my luck!

Either way, I'm sick of having that car stationary outside my house, I need to get it driving again.

Just looking at eBay, and they seem to be selling at about £180 average for a 1 tonne crane. That's three or four days hire give or take.

Problem I had with hiring, you pay the money, you get it home, then it pysses down and you can't get the job done.

Hopefully though this is academic, and there is someone on here local to you that can lend you one. 🤞
this is exactly why I ended up buying then reselling the crane.
I was lucky and bought well and resold for just a few pounds loss plus ebay fees.
bargain...it also took the time pressure of me to get the job done before I ran up a big hire bill.

I figure it's very much a "don't ask, don't get" situation so I thought I'd try my luck!

Either way, I'm sick of having that car stationary outside my house, I need to get it driving again.
Absolutely, it never hurts to ask.

I've been there and still have the stained overalls, though I had off road parking, so not quite the issue.

Fingers crossed you get sorted!

It is doable on your own without a crane . I did mine on my gravel drive on my own just with ratchet straps using the chassis as the brace .
As a complete lump it’s very heavy but you can break it down to manageable lumps at the roadside .

The faff is more the stuff to undo / take off but you can do this bit by bit . I’m not sure where you are but you could be close to me and I could help you for a few hours for the final push if you are close by . PM me with your address .

Whether you hire, borrow or buy, try to get one with swivelling front wheels (as well as rear wheels). As you need to go sideways with it once you have the weight on it (to withdraw the box from the clutch). Like @ Big Sandy sorry I am so far away from you.

another cheap way of getting this done is if you can get scaffolding tube to make an A frame and an electric hoist or a chainfall....Ive got one in the garage rated at 250kg or double if the cable is doubled. done jobs this way too

Back
Top Bottom