• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Voltage Reg with Alternator?

I binned ammeter and went to volt meter, its much more use with an alternator. Its simpler wiring, gets rid of some high current connections too. Its also usefull as it shows if the alterntor output is down - mine was recently and I found a loose battery connection.

In an ideal world I would fit both. I like the immediacy of knowing that I have charge flowing either in or out of the battery, but I also like having a voltmeter which gives a better indication of the health of the battery.
I have two digital voltmeters (one on each battery) and no ammeter though, as it wasnt really worth the additional wiring, complication and expense of adding one.
I did consider one of these, but decided against at the time;
Yes I know where you are coming from.
Personally I prefer mechanical analogue meters, I find they are faster to read at a quick glance and their display is less prone to erratic changes so common with digital displays when the current or voltage is fluctuating.

I like the old gauges too.. I didnt mention that I still have an old analog voltmeter mounted in the pod as when I fitted the digital ones in the Mud dash, I didnt bother to remove it. It may come out at some point to install a tacho, but I quite like it... :)

I took my ammeter and aftermarket temp gauge out soon after buying my landy the ammeter didn't take much removing as it wasn't wired up and I kept hitting the temp gauge when I changed gear as they were mounted below the dash in front of the gear stick šŸ˜‚

Back
Top Bottom