• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Volvo S40 T5 SE sport

jenks69

Big Landy Fan
My new machine. Needs some TLC has a miss fire, but otherwise excellent condition and barely paid scrap value for it. Super chuffed.

New.jpg

Has it been standing awhile ? Could be bad tank of petrol .may be worth empty the tank flush it through and then fresh fuel …..
Might be able to sell the fuel 2nd hand 🤣
Also a good fuel additive..

Nice motor, what are your thoughts on the misfire?
Has it been standing awhile ? Could be bad tank of petrol .may be worth empty the tank flush it through and then fresh fuel …..
Might be able to sell the fuel 2nd hand 🤣
Also a good fuel additive..
It took a slurp from a deep puddle a few weeks ago and stalled. It has run fine since and has been used everyday. There's no horrible rattles or bangs on tick over or high rev when idle, but under load it hesitates when you boot it (like you've hit a wall) then pulls until the next gear change or boost drop.

Best case is one of the coil packs and spark plugs. Worse case valve damage to a single cylinder. Fingers crossed for a chance to have a fiddle tonight.

It took a slurp from a deep puddle a few weeks ago and stalled. It has run fine since and has been used everyday. There's no horrible rattles or bangs on tick over or high rev when idle, but under load it hesitates when you boot it (like you've hit a wall) then pulls until the next gear change or boost drop.

Best case is one of the coil packs and spark plugs. Worse case valve damage to a single cylinder. Fingers crossed for a chance to have a fiddle tonight.
Let’s hope it’s the coil and plugs then ..

Had a small play. Disconnected each coil in turn and engine wobbled on tick over. Revs up perfect to 6k rpm with no missing. So at this point none the wiser.

New plugs on payday next week.

Took it out today. Misfire isn't as bad. I picked up new plugs and 1 coil. I'll do all the plugs and then for the coil I will try it in all five pots or at least until the problem goes away. Noticed the undertray is floopy I'll look at that when I have a day to potch about.

Had a spare hour this evening, so changed the plugs. All 5 were badly scorched on the threads and badly tainted / chunks missing off the tip. Gaps were massive! Two plugs had oil inside the coil insulator boot. Freak series of events I think. The oil has been split on the engine at the end of the oil filler and it's sat happily where it was. When the car went through the puddle it was enough of a wash over the engine for the oil to be washed down the coil holes. The air box was full of small bits of leaves and mud etc on the fine gauze. Took it out for a test drive and it pulls exceedingly well.

Half hour of spirited driving and I am seasick... it needs new shocks ASAP.

So glad my gut feeling of the problems not being mechanical / terminal paid off!

Had a spare hour this evening, so changed the plugs. All 5 were badly scorched on the threads and badly tainted / chunks missing off the tip. Gaps were massive! Two plugs had oil inside the coil insulator boot. Freak series of events I think. The oil has been split on the engine at the end of the oil filler and it's sat happily where it was. When the car went through the puddle it was enough of a wash over the engine for the oil to be washed down the coil holes. The air box was full of small bits of leaves and mud etc on the fine gauze. Took it out for a test drive and it pulls exceedingly well.

Half hour of spirited driving and I am seasick... it needs new shocks ASAP.

So glad my gut feeling of the problems not being mechanical / terminal paid off!
That’s a bit of a result, apart from the shocks! :)

Used it on the weekend for a tip run and shopping trip. Ran really well pulled as it should no hesitations etc. Littlest kid fell asleep in the back after shopping in under 2 miles! 😍

Misses had nothing at all nice to say about it. Whinge about the boot size, complained about seat comfort.

Tickled 160 miles yesterday effortless for the S40. Although at 70 in top it has absolutely nothing to give, however at 80 you're just into turbo pressure and if you floor it, it's totally mental gives the same amount of acceleration as 0-60. (on a private road of course). Averaged just under 40mpg. Super chuffed. Just needs a tow bar and a few tweaks and I'll be sorted :)

Tickled 160 miles yesterday effortless for the S40. Although at 70 in top it has absolutely nothing to give, however at 80 you're just into turbo pressure and if you floor it, it's totally mental gives the same amount of acceleration as 0-60. (on a private road of course). Averaged just under 40mpg. Super chuffed. Just needs a tow bar and a few tweaks and I'll be sorted :)

Private road, umm :sneaky:. Colin

Further messing / use / spirited drives later I've still got odd behaviour. If I park pointing downhill it's fine - starts and drives ace. If I park leaving it nose uphill, it runs like an absolute dog until I can park either nose down or flat turn off the engine for a bit then off we go and it's again a rocket!

I'm wondering if there's crud in the fuel tank or the fuel filter needs changing. Diagnostic laptop shows nothing out of the ordinary and none of the live sensor graphs show even a blip when it hesitates.

Back
Top Bottom