• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

VW LT 28 campervan

I find that if I stress over a job, sleepless nights etc, then it's usually easy. It's the easy jobs (in my head) that bite the hand that pokes them!

I'm oft bit. When will I learn.....
I’m sure I’ll get there . I just like to understand stuff before I start 🤔

Had to order a 30mm spanner so that was a good excuse to buy more tools 🤣🤣

Thanks for the links , I’m reading through bit by bit 👍

I think my radius bush bolts are 28mm. Need to check that....

I did some bushes on the front, that join the anti roll bars top and bottom, using new poly bushes. Good old LR technology getting the old ones out, plenty practice with chassis bushes! 🤣

I think my radius bush bolts are 28mm. Need to check that....

I did some bushes on the front, that join the anti roll bars top and bottom, using new poly bushes. Good old LR technology getting the old ones out, plenty practice with chassis bushes! 🤣
Thank you Sandy .

It’s this one I’ve measured at 30mm
IMG_0104.jpeg

It’s not even a nut - just a circle with two flats . Oh and it’s says it’s not moving 😡😡 I’m trying to fabricate something to give me more leverage.

It's this bit, isn't it?

Screenshot_20240306-114852.png

So, in theory, most of it's threads should be covered, as the 'nut' is a female fitting, I think.

Awkward, being two flats and not hex. Maybe get the welder on the top and put a good blob on it, should heat it up enough to loosen it? Can grind it off again later. It will melt the bush though.

No doubt there is a VW specific special tool....

So my time today was spent derusting the joins between the thick washers, but and female end at the front end of the rod with the Dremel and my new burrs which Santa bought me . They worked really well at cutting through the corrosion / muck at the bush end. Soaked them in plusgas , had a coffee. Repeated 3 times and I can now see the join. No attempt to see if they will loosen today as Amazon hadn’t delivered the 30mm spanner by school pick up time. The adjustable will fit but I didn’t want to round them off.

The other end disappears into the lower wishbone? and I couldn’t see the nut end of the bolt. Helpfully the picture @Big Sandy posted (above) got me thinking .
It seems that the flat end is threaded so the bolts don’t have nuts .

Hoping to get the drivers side rod off tomorrow 🤞

Got some time today so finished the drivers side bushes . Trickiest part was setting the front “nut” and rear nut on the radius arm to get the right length to maintain the castor angle , whilst ensuring the both the fixings lock together inside the bushes .

New bushes in place.

IMG_0111.jpeg

The old bushes , well past their best .
IMG_0112.jpeg

Now to do it all again 🙄

Well done, especially lying on your back doing it. So much easier for a garage with a lift or a pit. Will you get the tracking checked once you have the other side done? Them bushes was well fubar!

Steelwork looks very good. 🙂

Well done, especially lying on your back doing it. So much easier for a garage with a lift or a pit. Will you get the tracking checked once you have the other side done? Them bushes was well fubar!

Steelwork looks very good. 🙂
Thanks Sandy .

I’m lucky with the underside, a bit scruffy but solid . A friend bought me some Lanoguard for Christmas so planning on giving it all a spray when it warms up .

Yes the bushes were bad. Only the steel ring holding one of the together .

Ah tracking - that is a good shout. I’ll add that to my list

Some progress today however , one step forward and two steps back .

Passenger side radius rod and old bushes off after a battle with the fixings and me sat with a heat pad on my shoulder tonight ☹️.

A little poke with a screwdriver underneath into the floor pan revealed this
IMG_0114.jpeg

It looks like there was an old repair that had been siliconed / pop riveted in place from underneath and it had slowly rotted away (I’ve had the van 9 years) .

I’ll continue to scrape the original black mastic off inside until I’ve got clean steel all round then cut out the rusty floor pan and make a repair panel and weld in place . Serves me right for poking my screwdriver in a rusty bit 🤣🤣

Always something isn't there? Still, looks like a relatively flat bit to repair. Glad you got the other radius arm off okay!

I was looking for T4 parts, and came across these for the LT ..

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/vw-...-sill-repair-panel-infront-of-rear-wheel.html.

That's just one panel, but it seems they have a few common needed panels, shown at bottom of page. Might be worth bookmarking.

I didn't find what I wanted though! 🤣

Always something isn't there? Still, looks like a relatively flat bit to repair. Glad you got the other radius arm off okay!

I was looking for T4 parts, and came across these for the LT ..

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/vw-...-sill-repair-panel-infront-of-rear-wheel.html.

That's just one panel, but it seems they have a few common needed panels, shown at bottom of page. Might be worth bookmarking.

I didn't find what I wanted though! 🤣
Handy link - thank you . Bookmarked 👍

Progress today . Starting cutting out the rot .
IMG_0117.jpeg
IMG_0118.jpeg

A quick check underneath showed that just about every wire ran under the floor , probably because the fuse box and relays are just to the left of the photos.
This slowed me down as I had to make “wire guards” out of 2mm steel to protect each part of the loom as a cut that part. Annoyingly they each go through the chassis so moving them is not really an option .

Two more pieces to cut out (top left and right) then I can make one large and one small repair piece and make a plan to get welding whilst protecting the looms.

Back
Top Bottom