• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

VW LT 28 campervan

No progress due to Easter school holidays but the boy had a forest school today learning Archery so I managed a bit of fettling .

Large repair piece cut and it almost fits flush, just needs the last bit of shaping .

IMG_0147.jpeg

I’ve made lips on two sides so hopefully with some protection below I can weld where the loom runs beneath without any damage to the loom 🤞

Maybe, for the wiring area, one of those plumbers mats? Cover the cables with it?
This kind of thing

Thank you Sandy . I’d looked at these but unsure how effective they would be .
I’ve ordered one from Amazon which should be here Tuesday 👍👍

I've used them over a joist when soldering with a blowlamp, no charring. My thoughts is a bit of protection will be better than none!

Silly place to run cables isn't it? Though not as daft as the Merc that dropped a load of timber here this morning. I could smell derv, and then saw it dripping on the exhaust, where the fuel line was sitting on the tail pipe, and was happily melting through.

The final bit of repair . Top of the door opening , passenger side. (Left hand side of photo)

IMG_0150.jpeg

It’s quite bad so I’ve bought some right angle steel to help with the fabrication which arrived today . I plan to cut it all out and remake the box .

IMG_0152.jpeg

My thinking is that the rain channel leaked over a number of years, letting water into the frame which is all box sections .

The water has gone both ways so rotted out behind the wheel arch (which I repaired last year - earlier in this thread) ; sat in the door opening and also run through and down into the footwell . There’s an opening all the way into the footwell .

I’ll start that welding when I’ve finished the footwell.

That's an awkward area to repair.... Not curved as well, is it?

I have water ingress on the van.....think it's the windscreen, again. Not into the fusebox this time, thankfully. Going to try Cap'n Tolley first.... It runs down behind the trim on the door, and drips into the footwell. Or, depending on how I park, it drips out above the sun visor. Need dry weather first!

Also got the front crossmember to do this year, big job. Radiator, oil cooler, power steering reservoir, lights, wings.... Dreading it. Worth the effort though.

Oh . Front cross member does not sound fun
Aye... Fortunately it bolts at either end, but is welded to the chassis rails in the centres. T4's are well known for it. Thing is, the headlamps are bolted to panels welded to it, as is the whole bumper assembly. Going to be fun! Been buying parts for months and months, probably up to about £500 worth so far, with gas, more welding wire, paint, etc etc ...

Aye... Fortunately it bolts at either end, but is welded to the chassis rails in the centres. T4's are well known for it. Thing is, the headlamps are bolted to panels welded to it, as is the whole bumper assembly. Going to be fun! Been buying parts for months and months, probably up to about £500 worth so far, with gas, more welding wire, paint, etc etc ...
Sounds like one of those jobs that could go without a hitch 🤞 or just fight you at every stage .

Hope it’s the former for you .

Doesn’t help that it’s a lying down / bending down job either .
Look after your back 👍

Had an hour so me and the boy decided to do a bit more prep work before I start to weld from midweek next week.

I love spending time with him doing fettling .

Starting to prep the floor for primer .

IMG_0148.jpeg

Removing the front grill so we can get behind to run a new earth and get some Waxoyl / Lanoguard into the seams (once I’ve welded) .
IMG_0154.jpeg

He made me laugh today as he told me “righty tighty lefty loosy “ .

Back
Top Bottom