• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1988 110 County Station Wagon

Fantastic. Had to look up where you are. I would absolutely love to tour North America. Such incredible scenery. And what better vehicle to do it in than a Defender :)

Keep posting :)
Glad you like the posts. They aren't for everyone. I realize it's a long way from the UK and not UK centric but I drive the guts out of the 110 in parts of the world not many from the UK get to see. There is an increasing chance I will drive the 110 the length of Baja California in November. I have done the length of the Baja several times with one of my other vintage 4x4's but the prospect of doing it in the 110 has me excited. Of all my 4x4's, I have driven the 110 in the greatest number of counties, my '78 FJ-40 coming in second. Baja California is truley one of the last wild places on earth.

Glad you like the posts. They aren't for everyone. I realize it's a long way from the UK and not UK centric but I drive the guts out of the 110 in parts of the world not many from the UK get to see. There is an increasing chance I will drive the 110 the length of Baja California in November. I have done the length of the Baja several times with one of my other vintage 4x4's but the prospect of doing it in the 110 has me excited. Of all my 4x4's, I have driven the 110 in the greatest number of counties, my '78 FJ-40 coming in second. Baja California is truley one of the last wild places on earth.

Well keep posting and allow us Brits to live the best of Defender life through your Baja adventures. Love seeing other peoples adventures. Love the Fj-40 too. It was my family 4x4 in Sarawak back in the early 80s. Simple, strong and what an iconic vehicle. Cannot believe the price of them these days too. Crazy. Mind you Defenders are just as bad now... It's a crazy World at the moment.

I have been back home in Phoenix the last couple weeks. Taking a break from boat work. The weather is finally cooling off so I am catching up on a few LR items. Here are a few pictures of my first crack at duplicating the County stripe. It is off in a few places. This week I took the 110 back to the shop doing the art work and had them tweak the artwork for a better match. Should have updated stripes to try out in a couple weeks.
Once I get a stripe that matches as close as I can get it I will make the PDF file available to whomever would like it. The file will have all the information needed for any shop decal shop to print out a copy. Minus the spider of course.

A0EAF76F-0F41-49FB-800C-5F88EE710FC3.jpeg
582DE103-A8D5-4624-A071-05BD17EF4D46.jpeg
44B564A8-0DD0-435C-B979-EF3ADA74F1FF.jpeg

Been a bit since my last post. With holidays and cold weather there hasn't been much LR stuff happening. I thought for sure there was a "what did you do with your Land Rover today" topic but I was mistaken, it is "what have you done to your Land Rover today". I found in the local adverts a big block Ford 460 which had some parts I need so I used the 110 for the retrieval. So I guess, in the spirit of what have I done to my LR to day, I punished the rear springs. A 460 weighs in at about 650 to 700 lbs. The 110 handled the task without protest.

IMG_3412.JPGIMG_3413.JPG

I just took my 110 out of storage again. The weather is nice, finally. It was a long hot summer. It is time to tackle a R380 install. The previous owner put in an auto trans out of an RRC. I want to go back to a 5 speed gearbox. I had this all figured out a few years ago but I have lost notes and parts list. I need some help getting re-educated so I can get the needed parts.

- I have a "J" suffix R380 - out of Disco, IRC
- I have a long stick shifting assembly, from Defender

Where I need help is the bellhousing / gearbox input shaft. I am not sure of part numbers for the bell housing or input shaft. I have some notes from emails I traded with Dave Ashcroft:
------
R380 excluding bellhousing is 387mm

There are 3 possible R380 configurations

V8 pinion 285mm
TDi pinion 290mm
TD5 pinion 365mm

V8 bellhousing 275mm
TDi bellhousing 255 mm
TD5 bellhousing 370mm

-------

From reference material I have access to, the correct bellhousing should be FTC3922. The input shaft FTC5044. Can anyone verify that?

Not sure but I think this requirement is determined by engine type and where it's mounted on the chassis

I might be wrong but depending on that will determine the distance from engine to transfer box gap giving you fitting sizes for the 5 spd manual

...if that makes sense

Can you work that out by measuring the length of the auto box from engine to xfer case and deducting the length of the R380 should give you the correct bellhousing?

Back
Top Bottom