• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1988 110 County Station Wagon

Just thinking about price difference on fuel ….
The V8's are certainly thirsty, expensive. It was my primary driver while in Europe. It cost a small fortune to drive on long trips with the family. I drove it from Amsterdam to Norway a couple times and a trip from Amsterdam to Isle of Sky.

It is really nice to see blue skys again. The weather in The Netherlands was tough to bear. Grey skies from October to May was hard to deal with. I do miss the proximity to the UK.

Yes, that is a '78 FJ40 in the back ground. We did an expat assignment in Indonesia back in 2007. I bought it in Jakarta and brought it home. It also is RHD, has the original six cylinder 2F motor with 2 barrel carb.

The Torino should be exciting to drive when done. I'm on the fence wether to paint it or not. Once driving, I'm sure it will be clear what to do. A car like that has a lot of personality. If it drives super nice and smooth it may want a nice paint job. If it drives like it wants to kill you I'll probably leave it as is.
I like the patina look maybe rub it down and a few coats of clear lacquer…sleeper look 🙂 can’t remember if they came with chrome bumpers if they did I would re chrome nice set of wheels maybe originals .leave as that .
There fetching good money the Fj40 at the moment i do like them .
Good luck with the projects ..🙂

V8 in... should have it running tomorrow. I need to fab a couple oil cooler lines then hook up the electrical, fuel and linkage. Building the exhaust this weekend.

IMG_1322.JPGIMG_1323.JPG

I like the patina look maybe rub it down and a few coats of clear lacquer…sleeper look 🙂 can’t remember if they came with chrome bumpers if they did I would re chrome nice set of wheels maybe originals .leave as that .
There fetching good money the Fj40 at the moment i do like them .
Good luck with the projects ..🙂
I am thinking the same. They did come with chrome bumpers, however I'm not going to be able to pull off the sleeper look. It is a Super Cobra Jet car with a shaker intake. Any muscle car with a hood scoop has a hard time pulling off the sleeper look. ;)
FJ40 prices are insane.

I am thinking the same. They did come with chrome bumpers, however I'm not going to be able to pull off the sleeper look. It is a Super Cobra Jet car with a shaker intake. Any muscle car with a hood scoop has a hard time pulling off the sleeper look. ;)
FJ40 prices are insane.
Good point with the shaker.I still think the patina look would be nice 🙂 i had a 66 coronet with a hood scoop which was functional the air cleaner sat high on the big block so you couldn’t shut the bonnet damn thing was huge …
You certainly don’t hang around with your engine swap ..wish I was as mechanically minded …
What’s the plans with the FJ ….🙂
9C5C8A42-5500-4068-93B5-84E1756A89FB.jpeg

Good point with the shaker.I still think the patina look would be nice 🙂 i had a 66 coronet with a hood scoop which was functional the air cleaner sat high on the big block so you couldn’t shut the bonnet damn thing was huge …
That Coronet is great! The white car in the first picture, I can't place it. Twin turbo?

Once things start to settle here after unpacking I am going to start a restoration on the FJ.

That Coronet is great! The white car in the first picture, I can't place it. Twin turbo?

Once things start to settle here after unpacking I am going to start a restoration on the FJ.
The coronet was built in the states as a tribute car to a Plymouth satellite that was raced in the sixties then .
The engine was a Ray Barton 580 hp 452 motor bored .060 over, 11.50 –1 TRW pistons, Hemi 8qt oil pan, solid roller cam 603 lift, M-1 intake, 750 Avanti Carburettor, 10 Braided fuel line, 10 Gallon Aero motive fuel cell, Holley blue fuel pump, Aero motive fuel pressure regulator, Hooker Comp Headers with 31/2” exhaust with flow master mufflers, 727 Automatic with reverse manual hurst stick, 4.30 sure- grip rear end with Moser axles, Weld Drag Star Wheels, Mini tubs, Hoosier Pro Rear Tyres. 11.5x15x29, MT Sportsman Fronts New 28x7.5x15, Drag Shocks in the rear, Snubber, Light weight master cylinder, Master Brake front disk brakes, Frame Connectors…..was a 10 second car with slicks and race fuel..
Loved the car and shouldn’t have sold it really but wasn’t street friendly ..

The white one is a 94 Mazda rx7 …mine had a single turbo T51R .ported heads apex rotary tips .hks intercooler .titanium exhaust etc .480 hp at the wheels .good for 165+ but at that speed the front end became light .spent a fortune making it go fast but then it’s not fast anymore and then you go again .the things you do when younger and silly a …
But the fun of it is what it’s all about ..😁

Always loved the FJs if I could find one reasonable I would buy one .but that’s unlikely to happen .collectible now .a few years back they were a lot cheaper..as was everything..but you can’t keep all the cars .

The coronet was built in the states as a tribute car to a Plymouth satellite that was raced in the sixties then .
The engine was a Ray Barton 580 hp 452 motor bored .060 over, 11.50 –1 TRW pistons, Hemi 8qt oil pan, solid roller cam 603 lift, M-1 intake, 750 Avanti Carburettor, 10 Braided fuel line, 10 Gallon Aero motive fuel cell, Holley blue fuel pump, Aero motive fuel pressure regulator, Hooker Comp Headers with 31/2” exhaust with flow master mufflers, 727 Automatic with reverse manual hurst stick, 4.30 sure- grip rear end with Moser axles, Weld Drag Star Wheels, Mini tubs, Hoosier Pro Rear Tyres. 11.5x15x29, MT Sportsman Fronts New 28x7.5x15, Drag Shocks in the rear, Snubber, Light weight master cylinder, Master Brake front disk brakes, Frame Connectors…..was a 10 second car with slicks and race fuel..
Loved the car and shouldn’t have sold it really but wasn’t street friendly ..
That's a proper drag car. Very similar to what the Torino will has. I have a 4.30 with a locker in the rear. Certainly not friendly on the road. I like that RX-7 as well. The first cars I started building to go fast were 240Z's, my first exposure to SU's. The early Hitatchi's were pretty good but are garbage after 72. The was always a friendly rivalry between the Z car guys and the RX-7 crowd.

Got the 110 running again today. I will try and get a vid posted.

The last few days have been very busy getting prepared for the holidays so my computer time has been limited. I finished getting all the lines and accesories hooked up so the 110 is running again. For exhaust I used 2 Flowmaster hushpower mufflers. I am still working out the exhaust will exit the underside of the vehicle. The main question, where to terminate the exhaust pipes. Do both pipes exit at the same corner? Do I run pipes to each rear corner, or combine the pipes and run one 3" pipe to one rear corner? Currently the exhaust terminates under the second row. Here is a picture of the muffler.

A link to a video of the first drive afte the swap.

IMG_1333.JPG

That's a proper drag car. Very similar to what the Torino will has. I have a 4.30 with a locker in the rear. Certainly not friendly on the road. I like that RX-7 as well. The first cars I started building to go fast were 240Z's, my first exposure to SU's. The early Hitatchi's were pretty good but are garbage after 72. The was always a friendly rivalry between the Z car guys and the RX-7 crowd.

Got the 110 running again today. I will try and get a vid posted.
Ive seen a few 240z stuffed with LS7 in them .with wide bodied conversions they look awesome..but I like originality in cars like that .
That V8 does sound sweet ..nice exhaust note ..I think I would do 2 into 1 and have it exciting at the rear corner or have it going through the rear quarter panel .look good a 3 inch pipe ..

With the holidays over I got back to work on the 110. It left me stranded at the market the other day. The ignition module finally died. The module is the old two prong type. I didn't want to convert to the 3 prong module and harness so I installed a MSD ignition box and MSD Blaster 2 epoxy coil. The install was straight forward. I removed the ignition module from the distributor then tapped into the magnetic pickup and ran the two wires to the MSD box. Runs like a top with loads of spark. To avoid dirt and debris I mounted the ignition box under the passenger seat with my 2nd battery. Lest you doubt, the final photo illustrates the power of the MSD coil . The primary coil wire was completely disconnected from the coil and the engine was running when the photo was taken. ( a tad dramatic but fun none the less. I forgot to reattach the primary wire before first start up. The engine ran dispite my neglagence. :) )

For what it's worth the parts are: MSD 6A ingnition box and a MSD Blaster 2 coil.

IMG_1373.JPGIMG_1375.JPGIMG_1382.JPGIMG_1383.JPGIMG_1379.jpg

One of the nice bits on my 110, when I purchased it, is the push bar. I'm pretty confident it is original LR equipment. If anyone could help me confirm it is OEM. I would appreciate it. I have some LR sales literature from the '89 model year. It looks to be correct. My 110 is a '88 so I assume the LR accesory catalog would be the same, '88 to '89.

Last week I sent it out to have the powder coating stripped off. I got a call this morning. It was ready for pick up. There are a couple holes which need to be repaired but othewise it is in good shape.

IMG_1385.JPGIMG_1387.JPG

Finshed up the exhaust today. It took a few days to get the routing right and weld them up. I had to make two more pipes which run behind the mufflers. The merge was difficult to weld. The joint where the two 2 !/4" tubes merge is tight. A #9 pencil torch with a #5 cup worked out well but it was still tight.

IMG_1395.JPGIMG_1400.JPGIMG_1402.JPGIMG_1403.JPGIMG_1404.JPG

With the exhaust done I thought I would take the family out to bivouac in the desert for a few days. Here are a few photos of the camp site and the flora of the area. It’s not Rover specific but the Rover did get me there. British engineering getting the job done.
View attachment 275400View attachment 275404View attachment 275402View attachment 275401View attachment 275403View attachment 275405
But did it get you home again ..that’s the question 🤣
Certainly lookes remote..nice pictures..🙂

It's been a bit since I've been able to work on the 110. It's currenlty too hot in Phoenix to drive comfortably so I have it in storage. I have a Mexico trip, working trip, in a couple weeks. I will be driving the 110 down. I took delivery of wheels I ordered 6 months ago. They are a set of Hutchinson bead lock wheels. I haven't seen another LR in the wild with these and only a few on the internet. Hutchinson told me they are very likely to be discontinued due to poor sales. It's a pity in my opinion but such is the world. Here are a few pictures of what they are, the parts of the wheel and an assembled wheels or two. I your curious to see more detailed assembly pics let me know and I can post more. I have to assemble all 5 at my house then take them to storage to put them on the 110.

IMG_2390.jpg IMG_2385.jpg IMG_2391.jpg IMG_2347.jpg

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom