• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1988 110 County Station Wagon

It's been a bit since I've been able to work on the 110. It's currenlty too hot in Phoenix to drive comfortably so I have it in storage. I have a Mexico trip, working trip, in a couple weeks. I will be driving the 110 down. I took delivery of wheels I ordered 6 months ago. They are a set of Hutchinson bead lock wheels. I haven't seen another LR in the wild with these and only a few on the internet. Hutchinson told me they are very likely to be discontinued due to poor sales. It's a pity in my opinion but such is the world. Here are a few pictures of what they are, the parts of the wheel and an assembled wheels or two. I your curious to see more detailed assembly pics let me know and I can post more. I have to assemble all 5 at my house then take them to storage to put them on the 110.

View attachment 292888 View attachment 292889 View attachment 292890 View attachment 292891

Cheers!
I like them I had a set of bead locks on my last defender meant to stop the tyre coming off the rim off road apparently..sounds a fun trip .what year is the Pontiac And model Migz ….
Chieftain going by the hood ornament..🤔

I like them I had a set of bead locks on my last defender meant to stop the tyre coming off the rim off road apparently..sounds a fun trip .what year is the Pontiac And model Migz ….
Chieftain going by the hood ornament..🤔
The Pontiac is a ‘51. You are correct, it is a Cheiftain. It is my sons car, one of the projects I had laying about. He liked it so we are getting it put together for him to drive to school. He is in his senior year. The straight 8 was wasted. Putting a Ford 460 with a 3 speed in it. Hope to have it running in the next couple months.

It's been a bit since I've been able to work on the 110. It's currenlty too hot in Phoenix to drive comfortably so I have it in storage. I have a Mexico trip, working trip, in a couple weeks. I will be driving the 110 down. I took delivery of wheels I ordered 6 months ago. They are a set of Hutchinson bead lock wheels. I haven't seen another LR in the wild with these and only a few on the internet. Hutchinson told me they are very likely to be discontinued due to poor sales. It's a pity in my opinion but such is the world. Here are a few pictures of what they are, the parts of the wheel and an assembled wheels or two. I your curious to see more detailed assembly pics let me know and I can post more. I have to assemble all 5 at my house then take them to storage to put them on the 110.

View attachment 292888 View attachment 292889 View attachment 292890 View attachment 292891

Cheers!

Nice wheels!
Do you mind me asking what they cost over there..?

I've been seeing the temperatures in Phoenix over the last few weeks.. Yikes!
Average daily of 104F = 40C for June... 🥵

The Pontiac is a ‘51. You are correct, it is a Cheiftain. It is my sons car, one of the projects I had laying about. He liked it so we are getting it put together for him to drive to school. He is in his senior year. The straight 8 was wasted. Putting a Ford 460 with a 3 speed in it. Hope to have it running in the next couple months.
Living the dream my friend..👌

Nice wheels!
Do you mind me asking what they cost over there..?

I've been seeing the temperatures in Phoenix over the last few weeks.. Yikes!
Average daily of 104F = 40C for June... 🥵
The wheels were just a tad over $600/wheel. Expensive by any standard but they are the last wheels I'll ever buy for the 110. I have a set of the Hutchinson's on my Jeep that are 17 years old and still in top shape.

Summer in PHX is certainly the worst time of year, weather wise. A couple weeks ago we were around 45 46 for a week or so. I watch Sky News every morning, I see the UK is having problems with heat. I saw 40C the other day. I should send ya a catus. They love that weather. ;)

Living the dream my friend..👌

Just a gearhead trying to get by in an ever more electrified world. :)

For your perusal:

IMG_2395.jpgIMG_2201.jpgIMG_2199.jpg

Just a gearhead trying to get by in an ever more electrified world. :)

For your perusal:

View attachment 292995View attachment 292996View attachment 292997
That’s a cool garage you have there .love that shape car there is a nice one near where I work very similar apart from its painted I think it’s on air ride .
i did an engine swap on my 72 duster years ago it came with a slant 6 and column shift and put a 360 engine and shifter in it ..but must say it went from a pleasant car to drive to abit of F8B9F1CF-AB8D-431F-8145-266633BCF9C6.jpega pig it never ran well after ..🙂

That’s a cool garage you have there .love that shape car there is a nice one near where I work very similar apart from its painted I think it’s on air ride .
i did an engine swap on my 72 duster years ago it came with a slant 6 and column shift and put a 360 engine and shifter in it ..but must say it went from a pleasant car to drive to abit of a pig it never ran well after ..

yeah, doing swaps can be tricky business. It takes a lot of time to comb through the bits and make a good runner. The charcater change you mention from 6 to 360 is one of the reasons I am having trepidations putting the 5.7 Hemi I have into my 110. The 3.5 I have in it now is an under powered fuel guzzling turd but it always works. Always starting when you turn that key goes a long ways to happiness with a car.

The shop is barely functioning at the moment. I'm not getting much car work done the shop/garage is currently full of kitchen cabinets and all my time is being consumed by a home restoration. I do miss the setup I had in the Netherlands.

'72 Duster, nice. I've never had a Mopar but I do appreciate that they totally embraced and defined the Muscle Car thing. 426 Hemi, the 440, and 360/318 how could you go wrong.

That a '70 Mustang? Do you still have the Duster and the Mustang?

yeah, doing swaps can be tricky business. It takes a lot of time to comb through the bits and make a good runner. The charcater change you mention from 6 to 360 is one of the reasons I am having trepidations putting the 5.7 Hemi I have into my 110. The 3.5 I have in it now is an under powered fuel guzzling turd but it always works. Always starting when you turn that key goes a long ways to happiness with a car.

The shop is barely functioning at the moment. I'm not getting much car work done the shop/garage is currently full of kitchen cabinets and all my time is being consumed by a home restoration. I do miss the setup I had in the Netherlands.

'72 Duster, nice. I've never had a Mopar but I do appreciate that they totally embraced and defined the Muscle Car thing. 426 Hemi, the 440, and 360/318 how could you go wrong.

That a '70 Mustang? Do you still have the Duster and the Mustang?
No to neither the duster I had when I was around 21 the mustang is a 69 Mach 1 …I had around 25 ..picture below is how it looks now a guy restored it a few years back a friend of mine recognised the No plate and told me about it .
when I bought it the car was stripped of the interior just a cage and bucket seats .Perspex windows .raced on the strip I ran a best of 11.9 sec 126mph with a touch of gas ..
543A1DB8-32A5-4994-A066-9BBCFA8C7F64.jpegI’ve had quite a few over the years this 66 coronet being the best one .a 482 cu Ray Barton built big block .ran 10s on a good day .

it was built in the states as a replica of a 60s race car a 426 Hemi coronet called the silver bullet .
B96FDC1C-DD4A-4734-85B1-0125FFCFACB9.jpeg
89E96C7C-5EEF-4BDF-970C-88C4AC3FE264.jpeg

I won 2nd prize here best modified at a car show ..

Last edited:
He liked it so we are getting it put together for him to drive to school.
God I love that line .such a cool car to take to school ..kids nowadays don’t know what there missing .🙂

'69 Mach 1 Boss 429 is one of my dream cars. If ever I hit the lotto thats what I'll be shopping for. I know of the Silver Bullet. A 10 second car is damn quick. It takes a lot of work / money to get there. Good on you. A 482 back in the day must have been a challenge to build. Nowadays there are tons of stroker combos you can buyout of catalogues. I have a 385 Series big block I am building and I'm blinded with options. Do I build a 429, a 460 or a 514. The displacement difference is only the crank.

He liked it so we are getting it put together for him to drive to school.

God I love that line .such a cool car to take to school ..kids nowadays don’t know what there missing .🙂

I wish more kids were into cars also. We need fresh blood to keep the hobby going. My kids have always been around cars, mostly old 4x4's and wagons . So it should rub off on them to some degree. He is certainly starting to figure out that a car is freedom. The Mom and Dad bus doesn't run much after 10pm, much to his and his girlfriends disappointment. He is self motivating to do more on his car. The other day he went out to rebuild the rear brakes on the Ponch. He comes to get me when he gets stuck on something. It's pretty good. He is also starting the learn the frustration and misery of getting the wrong parts.

Here's a couple shots from years past. I did a road trip with the kids few years back in my '66 Ford Country Sedan- 408 with a T56 6 speed and 4.11's. We were driving through Utah and had to stop at Bonneville.

IMG_0941.JPG

This is a family trip we did in Baja Mexico in my '78 Bronco.

IMG_1966.JPG

I still have both cars.

'69 Mach 1 Boss 429 is one of my dream cars. If ever I hit the lotto thats what I'll be shopping for. I know of the Silver Bullet. A 10 second car is damn quick. It takes a lot of work / money to get there. Good on you. A 482 back in the day must have been a challenge to build. Nowadays there are tons of stroker combos you can buyout of catalogues. I have a 385 Series big block I am building and I'm blinded with options. Do I build a 429, a 460 or a 514. The displacement difference is only the crank.

I wish more kids were into cars also. We need fresh blood to keep the hobby going. My kids have always been around cars, mostly old 4x4's and wagons . So it should rub off on them to some degree. He is certainly starting to figure out that a car is freedom. The Mom and Dad bus doesn't run much after 10pm, much to his and his girlfriends disappointment. He is self motivating to do more on his car. The other day he went out to rebuild the rear brakes on the Ponch. He comes to get me when he gets stuck on something. It's pretty good. He is also starting the learn the frustration and misery of getting the wrong parts.

Here's a couple shots from years past. I did a road trip with the kids few years back in my '66 Ford Country Sedan- 408 with a T56 6 speed and 4.11's. We were driving through Utah and had to stop at Bonneville.

View attachment 293036

This is a family trip we did in Baja Mexico in my '78 Bronco.

View attachment 293037

I still have both cars.
Love the sedan proper surf wagon ,roof rack with a surf board ,looks great with the centrelines .would love a road trip across America to see all the old towns and strips if there are any left .must of been a blast back in the day of hot rods muscle cars and street racing.

The coronet was a 452 not 482 …misprint 😏 .060 over

I have a boy who when growing up had no interest in any of the cars I had bought but now older wishes I had one .
older and wiser as they say .nice to see the younger generation taking interest in old things so they realise it’s not a buy new and throw away when you finished with it culture .
I will buy another when funds allow me to there getting so expensive now the old car market has gone crazy .so just the Land Rover now to keep me fiddling .
i keep an eye on the American car market in the states and you do get some bargains turn up sometimes so when the time comes I shall import something.not to expensive to bring across the water .

i like the 60/70 broncos ..typical American 4x4 .

the Pontiac should march along with a 460 up front he will definitely be getting to school on time 😄 love that .

I got the bead locks on the 110 this weekend. Here’s a couple shots of what they look like.

605159DA-A394-494E-A1DC-765CEB6C5EAC.jpegB175D958-98F7-47E3-BDB2-FDFD2567B025.jpeg8F3E4EEB-72C1-4B69-A9C8-F2EADAF9B12F.jpeg

I had the 110 in storage for a couple months. I had a bit of trouble with the carbs. The petrol here in Arizona is awful. We have a blend that is mandated and it is the worst on carbs. It destroys any the rubber like material in diaphragms and accelerator pumps. It also coagulates and blocks passages. I had a problem with some of that junk plugging the fuel mixture nozzles in the SU’s on the 110. I had to pull them off and clean the float bowls to get it running again.

79AE24D4-B1FA-4C40-8293-BA0C7D28F8DB.jpeg

Here are a some random photos from Mexico. I drove the 110 loaded with supplies from Phoenix, Arizona to Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. About 200 miles or 4.5 hours driving in 40°C weather. No AC, just 6 windows and 2 bulkhead vents opened.

I figure there has to be a few other sailors on the forum.

For the next couple weeks I will be working on my boat. It has been in storage for the last 3 years whilst living in The Netherlands. Loads of work to do inside and out. Over the next week I have to repair and fair the keel to stub joint, resurface and paint the rudder then repaint the whole hull. Miserable job but must be done. Aiming to get it back in the water beginning of October.

IMG_2508.JPGIMG_2512.JPGIMG_2513.JPGIMG_2520.JPGIMG_2521.JPGIMG_2523.JPG

I am still in Mexico with the 110. The RHD blows the locals minds. It's quite the novelty item. For those that are curious, I am currently in the Peurto Peñasco / Bahia de Cholla Mexico area. On the way home from the boat yard today I took a detour, drank a couple beers at one of the estuarys of Bahia de Cholla, then ran the 110 up the locals "Competition Hill". Couple hundred meters tall maybe a 15 - 20 % grade, its the hill in the backgound of the first pic, passnger side. Easy enough, 1st gear, locked t-case, 15 psi in the tyres... piece of cake. Some random pics.

IMG_2767.JPGIMG_2771.JPGIMG_2777.JPGIMG_2785.JPGIMG_2796.JPG

Fantastic. Had to look up where you are. I would absolutely love to tour North America. Such incredible scenery. And what better vehicle to do it in than a Defender :)

Keep posting :)

Back
Top Bottom