• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2008 TDV6

bedfordlr

Shifting Up
Hi everyone,

Just go myself a 2008 TDV6.... I’ll admit now that I know less than nothing about the car, so bare with me if there’s any ridiculous questions asked.

First things first; I got the car knowing that there was a problem with the suspension. I’ve searched the internet a lot, and have got many different possible solutions, from the simple changing the battery or changing a brake light switch, to replacing the compressor. I don’t really know where to start. Would the HDC error be linked to the fault also?

I also have a serious case or shaking under braking coming from the passenger side front wheel. Possible warped discs? Is this common?

I had a quick look under the bonnet (albeit using my phone as a torch) and saw a couple of leads not plugged in to anything in the battery compartment, any help in identifying them would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Dan

Attachments

• 7B76269F-8B4E-4F13-8F68-761183DA7ACA.jpeg
    7B76269F-8B4E-4F13-8F68-761183DA7ACA.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 225
I can't answer all your queries, but I would suggest the braking problem is as you surmise, worn and/or warped discs. Quite likely cause might be a partially seized caliper, the disc overheats and that causes warping. Brake service on the cards!

The extra plugs in the battery box. If you can't see what they might plug into, then I wouldn't worry overly much. Quite often manufacturers will have wiring in place for items that aren't fitted, an optional extra. It's possible that's what you have there... I have had a few cars in the past with erroneous plugs just like that. Though, never a Land Rover... I've never been able to afford one with electrics beyond lighting and heating!

Finally, welcome to the forum @bedfordlr :)

Hi everyone,

Just go myself a 2008 TDV6.... I’ll admit now that I know less than nothing about the car, so bare with me if there’s any ridiculous questions asked.

First things first; I got the car knowing that there was a problem with the suspension. I’ve searched the internet a lot, and have got many different possible solutions, from the simple changing the battery or changing a brake light switch, to replacing the compressor. I don’t really know where to start. Would the HDC error be linked to the fault also?

I also have a serious case or shaking under braking coming from the passenger side front wheel. Possible warped discs? Is this common?

I had a quick look under the bonnet (albeit using my phone as a torch) and saw a couple of leads not plugged in to anything in the battery compartment, any help in identifying them would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Dan

Hi and dan and welcome

Also a D3 owner , what model have u got please is it a HSE

As @Big Sandy mentions they can be extras that arnt used according to which model u have

With these vehicles u really need a code reader , ur brakes could be worn pads, discs , abs sensor etc etc

HDC error can also cause issues

May i ask what’s ur suspension doing plse

Also have u checked the timing belts have been done and oil pump cover replaced

What’s the mileage plse

Will try and help , had mine 2 x years and have virtually gone through mine after ripping the thing apart :whistle:

First port of call if i may say , is to get the codes read

Thks

@gstuart will recommend a good code reader, I know he has one but I can't remember what it is. (must be getting old. Older...)

Lol, it might help

I’ve got an iid made by Gap, they currently retail at £420 and will virtually do everything required inc calibration of suspension and reflashing / updating ecus etc, live data , read codes , record live data on the move , the list goes on and on , but some settings must be used with caution

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/

Think there a must , considering for example if ur looking for a gearbox fault , as in the picture of the D3s system

Many cheap readers don’t provide live data , ie wheel speed sensors faults etc etc

Must admit know it was a big outlay but blimey has it paid for itself , seeing local dealer charge £180 per hour labour and £100 just to plug a code reader in

1C962158-BC5B-4ABF-933C-8654BB9DE35E.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind welcomes, guys.

The car itself is an XS (won’t tell you how long I searched the interwebs to find the different spec levels, only to find that it’s embezelled on the back of the darn car!). And has 180k on the clock.

I will completely disregard those extra plugs in the engine bay then.

I’ve had a quick look at the car again tonight, took the brake light switch out and seems in good knock, did lock it on and check the brake lights and found that the drivers side is out, so I’ll be replacing that tomorrow - do they HAVE to be LR ones - again, I’ve read various posts.

The service book is fully up to date, so I’m assuming that all belts etc have been replaced as per the schedule.

The suspension issue is as follows; picked up car, drove a mile or so before orange light came on the dash and warning saying suspension failure, drove for a while longer then orange light became red. Turned the car off and on, lights disappeared and the same sequence occured. When I was back home, it was sat on the drive a while, I turned the car on and lowered the car - drivers side lowered but passenger didn’t. It will now not lower or rise using the switch.

Again, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the kind welcomes, guys.

The car itself is an XS (won’t tell you how long I searched the interwebs to find the different spec levels, only to find that it’s embezelled on the back of the darn car!). And has 180k on the clock.

I will completely disregard those extra plugs in the engine bay then.

I’ve had a quick look at the car again tonight, took the brake light switch out and seems in good knock, did lock it on and check the brake lights and found that the drivers side is out, so I’ll be replacing that tomorrow - do they HAVE to be LR ones - again, I’ve read various posts.

The service book is fully up to date, so I’m assuming that all belts etc have been replaced as per the schedule.

The suspension issue is as follows; picked up car, drove a mile or so before orange light came on the dash and warning saying suspension failure, drove for a while longer then orange light became red. Turned the car off and on, lights disappeared and the same sequence occured. When I was back home, it was sat on the drive a while, I turned the car on and lowered the car - drivers side lowered but passenger didn’t. It will now not lower or rise using the switch.

Again, thanks for the help.

Glad it’s helped a bit

Have u looked on ur screen and entered into the secret section of it, think u press the top left hand corner , if not please let me know and can find the exact way to get access to it

Sounds like a compressor has gone, however getting the codes will save u going round in circles

If u look at the raise and lower switch with the engine running is there an orange light showing next to the switch plse

Shame ur not nearer as I would have happily plugged my iid in FOC for u and read all the codes and had a look for u

Hope I don’t sound like a broken record, lol

Indeed get the rear bulbs replaced first as things as simple has this can cause all sorts of errors, yes fit genuine bulbs

Please let us know how things go

PS, ref ur service book, plse double check ref the oil pump cover has been replaced and belts also done, would assume they’ve been done but always best to double check

Hi Stuart,

Have fitted replacement bulb and errors are still occurring.

HDC error is occurring without the engine running, just with ignition on.

Haven’t had a chance to get codes read yet. Need to find a local indie with the right equipment.

Regarding raise and lower switch, when I select raise or lower an orange light illuminates, it’s when I press the switch in that direction a second time does the suspension fault error raise its head.

Does the compressor lift the front and rear each side, or are all four corners powered by their own compressor? Where should I be looking to inspect / remove it?

Thanks
Dan

Managed to access the hidden menu and had a play with it. Noticed that the battery voltage was at 11.5v. Is that a sign the battery is on the way out?

Attachments

• E17BFD7E-0B20-4F32-8C04-D89C4E6587BA.jpeg
    E17BFD7E-0B20-4F32-8C04-D89C4E6587BA.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 192
Hi Stuart,

Have fitted replacement bulb and errors are still occurring.

HDC error is occurring without the engine running, just with ignition on.

Haven’t had a chance to get codes read yet. Need to find a local indie with the right equipment.

Regarding raise and lower switch, when I select raise or lower an orange light illuminates, it’s when I press the switch in that direction a second time does the suspension fault error raise its head.

Does the compressor lift the front and rear each side, or are all four corners powered by their own compressor? Where should I be looking to inspect / remove it?

Thanks
Dan

Hi

Try a hard reset , disconnect the battery, ensure the battery posts are protected, use a hump lead and connect the positive and negative leads together for around 10 x mins

Of course Don’t short out the battery posts , just the 2 x leads ,

Is the HDC fault like a green symbol at an angle , sounds daft it’s not pressed on is it

Enclosed a picture of the centre console to make life easier when explaining things, know ur not daft just trying to make it easier, lol

Ref suspension, think it’s back axle first then front , air compressor controls all 4 x corners

U have 3 x heights that u can control, access, normal, off road, if it gets bottomed out it will go into extended , then will yet up again into super extended giving 21 inches clearance from ground to sill

Ref ur battery voltage , get a multimeter and see what the voltage is with the engine off then on please

See how u get on with the hard reset and please let us know

If there’s still issues u will need the codes rear I’m afraid

F53DC399-5B14-48F8-B055-42B9320F07CC.jpeg

Managed to access the hidden menu and had a play with it. Noticed that the battery voltage was at 11.5v. Is that a sign the battery is on the way out?

There is a slight difference I think between testing at the battery and that screen, use a multimeter at the battery posts and see what it is with the engine off and then on

Plse then let us know what the readings are

Many thks

Gary

Ps, if u get time , can u take a pic of the faults of ur dashboard lights plse, thks

Wait, the HDC switch isn’t just a twist knob? It’s supposed to press? I can tell you now without going out there that it has no press and return movement. Will have to check that tomorrow.

I had a fiddle with the ride height earlier, and had movement from passenger side, does that rule out a dodgy compressor then? Perhaps some splits in some hoses? There was a message that popped up on the dash at one point along the lines of ‘extended range’ and ‘check for obstructions’.

Appreciate all your help so far, cheers,
Dan

Just realised that we’re talking about the giant yellow button. I’ll have to have a look tomorrow and see the state of it.... I clearly need some sleep now!

Wait, the HDC switch isn’t just a twist knob? It’s supposed to press? I can tell you now without going out there that it has no press and return movement. Will have to check that tomorrow.

I had a fiddle with the ride height earlier, and had movement from passenger side, does that rule out a dodgy compressor then? Perhaps some splits in some hoses? There was a message that popped up on the dash at one point along the lines of ‘extended range’ and ‘check for obstructions’.

Appreciate all your help so far, cheers,
Dan

Hi dan

Extended normally means u have a height sensor sticking , go round and see if they move ok and spray all of them with some contact cleaner and they move freely , with the engine off of course, lol,

With a code reader and getting live data u can see what the compressor is outputting in the way of pressure

Enclosed some pics as an example

FFAA146E-339F-48E7-968D-8A33AC742BB2.png
57642163-72D2-4427-8942-C4C7B671DD48.png

You sir, are a genius. Took the button out, cleaned up a little and re-assembled. HDC fault is no longer present.

I have been around all the height sensors and checked and sprayed, but the suspension still reporting error “suspension in extended mode”.

Right, I’ve taken her out for a ride, and suspension issue still exists. It seems that it does rise both sides, but the driver side appear to be a lot lower than the passenger....

That post was completely false. Think my eyes were playing tricks on me. Both front wheels read 20” from wheel centre to arch bottom, and the back read 23” passenger side and 22” driver side - drivers side appears to have low tyre pressure.

Both sides have risen and fallen on command, however the extended error still raises its ugly head every so often.

Glad it helped and got one fault out of the way :thumbsup:

Right , suspension ,

Fronts should be 465mm rears 485mm , set in normal height setting , measured the same , from middle of wheel centre to bottom of wheel arch , put some masking tape on the centre caps, u can then get the tape measure back on the same spot

With the engine off, check the wires on the sensors, if u want to check them with a multimeter u need 5 volts on the wires

The system may need re calibrating, with the engine off u can unplug the height sensors, checking the pins, spraying some electrical cleaner inside , then plug them back in , might be better to even disconnect the battery to prevent fault codes coming up , not always but they can sometimes be strange beats

What sizes tyres have u got please and what is the weight rating , will be 107 109 111 etc

Shame ur a distance otherwise I could have plugged mine in for any fault codes and live data , alas is locked to mine so can’t adjust the heights but everything I could tell u

Tyre pressures are on ur drivers door at the bottom there should be a label

Also got a link of how the full suspension works, will try and find it for u, so then it gives a better understanding

Will try and help as much as I can

Appreciate all your help so far. Unfortunately my regular commute is Somerset to Beds, so you’re not even in passing.

Just lowered the suspension and fronts were at approx 475mm.... the back measured the same as first measured 635mm. Can we assume that we have a problem with the rear setup then?

Tyres are 255/60/18 112V XL.

Back
Top Bottom