• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2008 TDV6

Appreciate all your help so far. Unfortunately my regular commute is Somerset to Beds, so you’re not even in passing.

Just lowered the suspension and fronts were at approx 475mm.... the back measured the same as first measured 635mm. Can we assume that we have a problem with the rear setup then?

Tyres are 255/60/18 112V XL.

No worries

Bingo , with ur finding that kind of height ref that rear suspension

U say u lowered the suspension , sorry to ask but that was in normal height , not the lower access or higher off road setting please, hope that doesn’t sound rude

Great tyres are all ok , just seen so many RRS sport tyres that have been put on and there not suitable for D3s, sidewall rating has to be a min of 111T for the D3 , so ur fine there

Try this , plse put the suspension into off road height , drive back and then forward a few metres

Then lower to normal height , the small symbol that u normally get for access and off road height should go out, orange light at the switch should stop flashing when u have it in normal height

Then with the engine running check the heights , then again with the engine off please

Just wishing to check a few things

Bless u and thks and will see if we can pin this down for u and hope the above makes sense

Hi again. Hope you had a good bank holiday weekend.

Just been in the car, highered to off-road mode, drove forwards and back a few times, went to lower the car and it faults on coming down. ‘Suspension in extended mode’ error come up in the screen.

Will attempt to locate the rear suspension exhaust and remove and see if there’s an issue with it. I will report back.

Right, spent the evening under the car with little success. Got to the compressor, and was about to remove it, then suddenly thought that there must be some sort of valve between front and back. So did a little google search and located it... that’s where it all went down hill - that’s a horribly fiddly piece of work. I got no where and will attempt again tomorrow, hopefully with more success.

Right, spent the evening under the car with little success. Got to the compressor, and was about to remove it, then suddenly thought that there must be some sort of valve between front and back. So did a little google search and located it... that’s where it all went down hill - that’s a horribly fiddly piece of work. I got no where and will attempt again tomorrow, hopefully with more success.

Hi

Sounds like that’s the resevour valve that’s next to ur compressor

The compressor goes into that reservoir valve along with the air tank

There’s a full suspension manual somewhere , will try and find it for u as it’s shes the full system and may help showing how the system works

Here u go

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/al...s_and_Testing_Vehicle_Dynamic_Suspension_.pdf

http://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/15405/Land Rover factory D3 air suspension description.pdf

Hope they help u

The extended mode is a fault height sensor or suspension needs recalibration, may even be a bad wire

Easiest way to test the exhaust , with the engine running, lower ur back passenger side window , wait till the compressor stops running , then turn the engine off, u should hear a quick hiss , this is the exhaust valve opening

If i may say there’s no point messing around with the compressor , when it goes into off road height , push the height selector lever down and it will drop

Have a read and see how u get on but can see it requiring plugging into a diagnostic , to see if any fault codes come along with what the calibration is saying

Shame ur not closer as I could have plugged mine in for u and gone through it between us

Last edited:
I am leaning towards taking it to a garage to get the codes read. Always like to make sure I’ve tried everything I can think of (and waste hours of time) prior to it.

The valve I’m on about is passenger side, mounted just in front of the air bag. Seems to be the valve that controls the air to either side? Read a couple of things about them becoming ceased.

I am leaning towards taking it to a garage to get the codes read. Always like to make sure I’ve tried everything I can think of (and waste hours of time) prior to it.

The valve I’m on about is passenger side, mounted just in front of the air bag. Seems to be the valve that controls the air to either side? Read a couple of things about them becoming ceased.

Quite understand where ur coming from, indeed think a diagnostics is the way to go

I bought a reader soon after I got my D3 and best thing I ever bought and saved a fortune with not having to use a garage for diagnostics

Is the valve in front of the air compressor , if so that will be the reservoir valve block , the links will also show where they all are , there’s 3 x valve blocks , drivers front, passenger middle and passenger rear

Plse let us know how u get on

I know what you mean - I’d have been lost without my Audi diagnostics tool at times!

No, the valve is literally 250mm from the air bag itself - this YouTube video shows it quite well.

I know what you mean - I’d have been lost without my Audi diagnostics tool at times!

No, the valve is literally 250mm from the air bag itself - this YouTube video shows it quite well.

Also seeing the outrageous fees that a dealer wants for diagnostics

Ah i see the one u mean now , thought u meant the one next to the air compressor , that valve block indeed just controls the back air struts , gets its message from the back height sensors in telling it when to open and close ,all controlled by the ecu , which simply stores the calibration software etc , I replaced all 3 x valve blocks in the end but has to virtually rebuild my suspension system as it had been neglected

Have a read of those links , good bit reading , lol

There is also near the back a large connector block, can sometimes get a chaffed or broken wire , won’t hurt to have a quick look

Where abouts should I be looking for the connector block, mate?!

When I looked at the compressor, it looked almost spotless. Should it be dirty? Just trying to ascertain if it could have been replaced?

Where abouts should I be looking for the connector block, mate?!

When I looked at the compressor, it looked almost spotless. Should it be dirty? Just trying to ascertain if it could have been replaced?

Connector block is located near the back wheel on the chassis , has about 30 x wires in it

I’m getting there... didn’t have much time this evening. Got back here at 8 and have just managed to take of the electrical connector and one airline. Will persevere tomorrow evening and remove the remaining two airlines.

Difficult is not the correct word to describe how difficult removing and reinstalling that valve is. You have to be a contortionist and be wearing chainmail.

However, I did manage to get it off, disassemble the valve and find what I believe is the fault. The central piston seems to be stuck. It’s free now, and I’ll take it for a test drive tomorrow afternoon!

Attachments

• 5B216687-1488-4FC5-B6BA-59D581E22925.jpeg
    5B216687-1488-4FC5-B6BA-59D581E22925.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 162
Right, I may have unintentionally found a breakthrough. Is this a huge hole in the suspension?

Attachments

• 43A31F6C-D6FF-4263-B417-8D048215F032.jpeg
    43A31F6C-D6FF-4263-B417-8D048215F032.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 155
Right, I may have unintentionally found a breakthrough. Is this a huge hole in the suspension?

Hi

Apologises I can’t quite see, it may just be the outer casing , if there was any leak in the actual bag u would hear it and suspension wouldn’t raise with a hole in the side of the airbag

If u would be so kind to take a better pic plse , thks

Is the back still very high

You’re right. It could just be the casing on second inspection.

Yes the back is still high. Specifically one side rather than the other.

I am looking to take it in for diagnostics.

Attachments

• 2F298701-85F3-4A2C-9825-6094F6BF639A.jpeg
    2F298701-85F3-4A2C-9825-6094F6BF639A.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 152
You’re right. It could just be the casing on second inspection.

Yes the back is still high. Specifically one side rather than the other.

I am looking to take it in for diagnostics.

Hi

Ah bless u, easier to see, that’s the rubber protection boot, u can buy them separately , have to remove the bottom bolt to get them on, they stop all the muck getting inside

May i ask plse , if u put the height into access mode do all four corners drop right down or is the back still high plse

If ur going to keep it for a while u could get ur own diagnostics , alas are £420 but they will do virtually everything that they do at a dealers, save u a fortune , can read and clear faults , does all the suspension calibration, live data , etc etc

Plus very handy to have , works via ur iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth

Indeed plse let us know how u get on , u might also end up with a new rear valve block but won’t know until u get the calibration software plugged in

Back
Top Bottom