• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2020 defender

New Land Rover Defender SVX spotted with performance upgrades: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-...ver-defender-svx-spotted-performance-upgrades

"... The big changes come beneath the window line however. The flared wheel arches are needed because they house some chunky BF Goodrich all-terrain tyres on a new alloy wheel design. The suspension has also been raised up for extra ground clearance and it’s almost certain the spring rates have been adjusted for off-roading too.

At the front there’s camouflage covering the front bumper and grille - suggesting this SVX model will gain a new face, in a similar fashion to the SVX versions of the old car. The front and rear lights look unchanged from the standard model.

The powertrain sitting underneath the beefed up bodywork is a mystery. The most obvious choice is the supercharged 5.0-litre V8 from the Defender V8, producing 518bhp and 625Nm of torque. Our images show a quad-exhaust tip set up, but the backbox looks different to the Defender V8 and the tips are set a little further back into the body work. Only time will tell if this Defender has actually made use of Land Rover and BMW’s engine partnership, borrowing the German firm’s 4.4-litre, twin-turbocharged V8. ..."

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-6.jpg

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-2.jpg

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-4.jpg

Yes, the ZF8HP, probably the best auto box ever. Better than a manual even :rolleyes:
When the 8HP was put in the Audi A8, it was coupled up to google maps and it would change gears in anticipation of corners so you were always in the optimal gear. I haven't had the chance to drive a car with the 8HP but the 6HP is also a brilliant gearbox. If the oil is changed every 60-80k miles they last forever and stay smooth as silk.

My Puma is obviously manual, and my Sport has the ZF8HP. I'll take the latter over the former every day: gearchanges in milliseconds, smooth as butter, and it will even tell you when it's in trouble :D
How about the fuel consumption ? it used to be autos were always more juicy than a manual.
think the reason I like a manual is off road I feel like I have more control over what I do in certain situations.
But should imagine for highway cruising you can’t beat an auto .🙂

The modern ZF autos and I'm sure most other "proper" automatics (torque converter and epicyclic geartrain) have better fuel consumption nowadays than manuals. More ratios coupled to clever torque converters that have lock up clutches that are very cleverly controlled and work in all gears make them very efficient.

Dual clutch automatics may or may not be better fuel economy than manuals, I've not driven one or had any real life experience so don't know. Also clever the way they work but you can't beat a good old fashioned planetary set.

How about the fuel consumption ? it used to be autos were always more juicy than a manual.
think the reason I like a manual is off road I feel like I have more control over what I do in certain situations.
But should imagine for highway cruising you can’t beat an auto .🙂

But you also have full manual control of the ZF box as well, so that argument is moot. And it's actually better because the gear changes are in milliseconds, as opposed to you having to clutch in/out, which in certain situations makes you lose control/momentum, e.g., in sand.

But you also have full manual control of the ZF box as well, so that argument is moot. And it's actually better because the gear changes are in milliseconds, as opposed to you having to clutch in/out, which in certain situations makes you lose control/momentum, e.g., in sand.
From my own experience I have found automatic gearboxes a better tool to use for towing (and power steering 😁)

Manual control as in how …still no clutch .how would you use clutch control .🤔 I have a 12 speed auto Scania at work which you can shift manually but no clutch .it’s still go with the accelerator no control ..if you see what I mean .
Plus side to what your saying the gear changes are super quick .
Think I’m digging a hole here 🙂

Manual control as in how …still no clutch .how would you use clutch control .🤔 I have a 12 speed auto Scania at work which you can shift manually but no clutch .it’s still go with the accelerator no control ..if you see what I mean .
Plus side to what your saying the gear changes are super quick .
Think I’m digging a hole here 🙂
The zf boxes lock the TC up in manual select mode until the engine is pretty much at idle bit they will unlock and go to normal slipping TC of they feel the need. In my experience they do have a habit of thinking they know better than you and will change the gear down if they feel the need.
Caveat, I have only used them in road cars. I would hazard a guess that in low range, there will be enough engine speed to keep the TC locked up to maintain traditional control (or only using engine braking) and I can only imagine the auto being far superior in anything other than downhill.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway, anything LR fitted with that gearbox will have super duper electronic hill descent control that takes all the driver skill out of the equation anyway.

The zf boxes lock the TC up in manual select mode until the engine is pretty much at idle bit they will unlock and go to normal slipping TC of they feel the need. In my experience they do have a habit of thinking they know better than you and will change the gear down if they feel the need.
Caveat, I have only used them in road cars. I would hazard a guess that in low range, there will be enough engine speed to keep the TC locked up to maintain traditional control (or only using engine braking) and I can only imagine the auto being far superior in anything other than downhill.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway, anything LR fitted with that gearbox will have super duper electronic hill descent control that takes all the driver skill out of the equation anyway.
Electronic gizmos are taking over .Extremely clever but does take the driving experience out of it ..
Love to have a drive of the new Defender off road .

Electronic gizmos are taking over .Extremely clever but does take the driving experience out of it ..
Love to have a drive of the new Defender off road .
Nah, bugger that I'd fall asleep. Gimme an uncomfortable seat, knees round my ears and steering wheel jammed into my gut while I double declutch into first while careening off down a hill with grabby drum brakes, all while being showered with condensation and freezing cold. 😂😂

Nah, bugger that I'd fall asleep. Gimme an uncomfortable seat, knees round my ears and steering wheel jammed into my gut while I double declutch into first while careening off down a hill with grabby drum brakes, all while being showered with condensation and freezing cold. 😂😂

me thinks you need an ox wagon :rofl:

New Land Rover Defender SVX spotted with performance upgrades: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-...ver-defender-svx-spotted-performance-upgrades

"... The big changes come beneath the window line however. The flared wheel arches are needed because they house some chunky BF Goodrich all-terrain tyres on a new alloy wheel design. The suspension has also been raised up for extra ground clearance and it’s almost certain the spring rates have been adjusted for off-roading too.

At the front there’s camouflage covering the front bumper and grille - suggesting this SVX model will gain a new face, in a similar fashion to the SVX versions of the old car. The front and rear lights look unchanged from the standard model.

The powertrain sitting underneath the beefed up bodywork is a mystery. The most obvious choice is the supercharged 5.0-litre V8 from the Defender V8, producing 518bhp and 625Nm of torque. Our images show a quad-exhaust tip set up, but the backbox looks different to the Defender V8 and the tips are set a little further back into the body work. Only time will tell if this Defender has actually made use of Land Rover and BMW’s engine partnership, borrowing the German firm’s 4.4-litre, twin-turbocharged V8. ..."

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-6.jpg

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-2.jpg

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-4.jpg
According to the DVLA website, it is black and it is taxed. Trivial details like type of fuel, cubic capacity and other items are not recorded.

Back
Top Bottom