• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

3.5 V8 Efi from a K-reg Disco

Looking forward to seeing the results! Bet you are too! :D
Not counting any chickens, trying to be Zen about it......it'll be ready when it's ready.......:cool:
Anyway at this rate I have it in time for my hols in August - with the current glorious weather if I'd had it before now I'd been tempted to skip writing research papers, funding bids and next term's lectures.......... "I'm just popping out to do some 'fieldwork'" vroooom burble burble :whistle:

Nearly there......................... :rofl:
All last missing parts (propshafts, exhaust sections, PAS hoses and new reservoir, autobox oil cooler, AFM hose and O-ring, air-filter box and accelerator cable) now arrived and being assembled.
Although it should be together and running by end of this week they want at least another couple of days for driving it, testing, tweaking and snagging. As Phil said the first runs following a conversion are when problems may show up and he'd rather the 90 was with him if it plays up than with me 40 miles away. So he won't sign it off until he is happy with it. I've waited this long so another few days for peace of mind won't matter. Just in time for my annual leave.......:whistle:
Please keep your fingers crossed for me......;)

Weird how you can read that, isn't it? :D (just got left hand fingers crossed now ;))

I'm getting quite antsy for you! Really looking forward to hearing how pleased you are at the end of it all!

Weird how you can read that, isn't it?

It deson’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod aepapr, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. S1m1l4rly, y0ur m1nd 15 r34d1ng 7h15 4u70m471c4lly w17h0u7 3v3n 7h1nk1ng 4b0u7 17. :whistle::rofl:

Re the conversion, the RRC V8 accelerator cable doesn't fit, far too short so ordered one for a V8Disco1 which looks about a couple of metres rather than 0.5m. That wont arrive until next Monday so another week to go at this rate :sleepy:

Had to postpone the first week of my leave because one of my PhD students is ready to submit her thesis and I have to proof read and check it first and the funding I have for a project on micro-plastic pollution of marine sediments runs out at the end of the month so I have to do more sampling and lab work to get it done and the report written by end of August. The myth that academics have all summer on holiday is just that; I get 28 days plus the 8 Bank/public holidays per year, and my work priorities have to take priority so it I usually grab some leave when I can :( Sometimes it feels endless...I'll have a couple of weeks off then back for the autumn resit exams and coursework, then prep for the new academic year, then it'll be start of term again. Not complaining as its par for the course but this year has flown by (again) and it gets to feel like groundhog day/week/month/year :eek:

Ha! gets worse............Phil just phoned and he can't find the RRC air-box. I called the vendor who said it was taken by DPD last week and that he'll check and get back to me. He did....DPD did not deliver it and cannot find it :eek: bunch of utter to****s, not the first time DPD haven't delivered/delivered to wrong place/left stuff in the dustbin on collection day(!)/said there was nobody in when I was etc. The vendor refunded me over the phone but now I have to look for another RRC air box p/n NTC4408.:mad:

DPD are just one of a bunch of shysters. That happens here so often, you reach the point where you expect it and you're surprised when it doesn't.

Record is 2 weeks. For 48hr delivery....

Trouble is the RRC dustbin with a trumpet air boxes are hens' teeth; saw a new one from Famous Four for £202.16+VAT, LRSeries (Genuine) for £356.59 :eek:; the one 'lost' by DPD was £35 inc PP & VAT. That was the only one I've seen on eBay.......:mad:
0c2aee0131ca[1].jpg
Oh well, a note I the Wanted Section' now.......

Looking at my notes, that's what I used in my 110 - fitted with no mods IIRC.
My previous V8 90 had a long cable and I thought it the same as the RRC but this one is only 0.5m long.
Think I used one from a 50th Anniversary Defender, people tend to forget about them, AFAIK they run the same air filter as well
I've ordered one for a Disco1 V8 efi since the engine is from the same; it looks much longer, so perhaps will do. 50th stuff seems to be very pricey though.
I might have possibly sourced a RRC airbox from a guy on LZ, I'll know this weekend after he's rummaged through his spares parts bin :D
Sorry to see you're having troubles Capo, mine will be done before yours at this rate !
Mo
Hi Mo, yes you might beat me to the off :p two weeks was the original estimate but I expected problems in such a conversion :whistle:

What has shocked me after a gap of about ten years between owning Landys is the price of spares now. I was chatting to a chap at Total Parts and he said when Tata took over the prices of LR spares doubled overnight; the 'thinking' was that prices for spare parts should be in line with those for other luxury cars :rofl:

Getting there...:cool:

Longer DiscoV8 accelerator cable (ANR5328) fitted ok :)

Some recent fabrication - gearbox crossmember to account for prop and exhaust ready for painting, auto selector cable bracket, auto shifter bracket, and mounting bracket for ecu and clutch cover plate in one:
Fabricated crossmember waiting paint.jpeg selector cable bracket.jpeg autoshifter bracket.jpeg Fabricated mounting bracket for engine ecu and clutch cover plate in one.jpeg
2nd air box should arrive tomorrow :rolleyes:
Just got to find the stupidly expensive auto box reverse and inhibitor switch cable; it was sent with the gearbox but they can't find it :confused: New ones are a couple of hundred £££!
Inhibitor Switch - RTC4937.jpg

Whoo hoo! Autobox inhibitor/reverse switch found in the box of bits and now fitted. Now looking for the HiLo/Difflock bracket; they agree it was delivered and signed for but it has also gone astray too :rolleyes:! If they can't find it in the back of the Landy or in the stores they will get buy one for me (which is only fair!).:cool:
8558a.jpg
We had a chat about the work so far and the quality of it and he is adamant that he will only do things properly, even if that means that it takes longer and requires making things specifically e.g. the exhaust brackets and holders were modified to fit the exhaust as standard so when it needs replacing I don't need a custom one made. When he makes brackets or fixings the edges are rounded off to prevent injury in the future, and they are primed and painted before installing. SS fixings were possible, genuine parts too....he said he likes to do a job as if it's his vehicle......good enough for me :D

Sounds good, except that I have this vision of the cash register spinning round faster than the money readout of the petrol pump :eek:
For my 110 I ended up going and getting a stainless system made for it - "lifetime" warranty for the original owner :) Then I had to sell it, and ended up taking less than the value of the exhaust :whistle: I can imagine it getting pulled out and replaced when they bastardise it with a diseasel :evilstare:

Sounds good, except that I have this vision of the cash register spinning round faster than the money readout of the petrol pump :eek:

I don't want to go there :rolleyes: ........
The engine and box were not too dear but I've probably spent more on parts to fit them than they cost. Good news is most of the running gear and ancillaries are new so I'm hopeful that there won't be any (many) issues for a while. Still within budget but getting close to the red line :whistle:
It'll be worth it though and I'm beginning to get little pangs of anticipation :cool:

Back
Top Bottom