• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

UK Back In The Day Green Laning Photos

this was my fav we called Little Disco Before and after

Attachments

• DSC00794.JPG
    DSC00794.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00793.JPG
    DSC00793.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 34
  • red disco 1.jpg
    red disco 1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 33
For better or for worse, Preston is not an area I now at all. If no one else has any suggestions try a local (ish) 4x4 club or a 4x4 response team as they will have a good feel of the area.

I’m new to off roading, is there a ranking system in the uk where I can see the difficulty of each lane?
Hi James. No there is not. The best way to drive green lanes you are unfamiliar with is to walk them first. Then decide whether your vehicle and driving skills are capable of travelling the route.

James the advice from Geobloke is totally correct. The other option is to join a club or group. someone like Manchester and District who do organise laning days (They have a Facebook Group MAD - Manchester and District Land Rover Club). Cheshire have a club and I am sure Lancashire have a club so plenty of options. By joining a club you can learn from experienced members of not only which you should be capable of doing but also which lanes are legal.

Not much in the Preston area but you are not far from teh Yorkshire Dales and there are plenty there but you need to know which are legally driveable and which are not. Most of our difficulties are caused by those who ignore the rules. They have led to a lot of lanes being closed.

Peter

Standard os map is good enough just make sure you get the right area they are set out in grids “ area’s “ you can buy online or WHS ..but I’m sure if you do a search you can download for freeeeee …
Not a good time of year to be honest they shut many of because they cut up to much which is good .last time we went out my friend had them on his phone but not sure what site they were on .will find out next time I speak to him .

Not a good time of year to be honest they shut many of because they cut up to much which is good .last time we went out my friend had them on his phone but not sure what site they were on .will find out next time I speak to him .
Thanks, been keeping my eyes open when out driving too.

Join GLASS (https://www.glass-uk.org/) and use the trailwise2 website https://www.trailwise2.co.uk/ (exclusive to GLASS members) for legal byways overlay and news if currently open or not with Temporary closure, Perm closure or voluntary closures and so on.
OS map to preliminary plan a route, Then check the legal status of the byways on the route via local council definitive map or 3rd party like trailwise2. Then OS map as a navigation guide but preferably electronic moving OS map with planned route overlay. Just going out with an OS map is not good enough without first checking status, especially on lanes that are in high contention with the anti's.

Back
Top Bottom