• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Diesel Engines Can you run a 200TDi on a mix of 50/50 Straight Forecourt Diesel, to SVO?

lordklp

In Second Gear
So, i have read a few posts across the wondeful world wide web.....

Is it possible to run a 200Tdi on a mix with straight diesel and straight vegatable oil WITHOUT ANY ENGINE mods.....?

What sort ratio is safe / best to use?

Thanks,

It depends on your particular engine and the temperature outside!

I've known some 200 Tdi's that won't run 15% veg to 85% diesel, and some that will run 100% veg with no problems!

The only way to find out is to try, Personally I would start with 15% veg and slowly increase it.

With my 200 I am able to run 85% veg in the summer down to 50% veg in the winter. Some REALLY cold days (minus 10) it could be a problem to start but overall no problems.

I do now have a twin tank system to fit to my 300 so I can run 100% veg, but will continue to mix in my 200.

Note your mileage when you start, and after 1000 miles change your fuel filter, then normal servicing after that.

It appear that at some point in its life, my Disco must have run on veg oil - there is an odd looking heat exchange under the bonnet which is just connnected to the diesel, it looks like the pipes are in situe for a twin tank set up - (changover switches are missing mind) - I'd love to get it all connected up again, but wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Do you you use the mix in your 200 in a unmodified engine? Also, do you mix the fuel before putting it in the tank or just add it all in and let it mix itself up?

Thanks,

Sounds like you are half way there!!

I just bung the veg oil into the tank then go fill up usually, works fine. Engine is totally unmodified.

There is a forum site called something like "veg oil motoring" that should be able to help you with the heat exchanger etc.

It appear that at some point in its life, my Disco must have run on veg oil - there is an odd looking heat exchange under the bonnet which is just connnected to the diesel, it looks like the pipes are in situe for a twin tank set up - (changover switches are missing mind) - I'd love to get it all connected up again, but wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Do you you use the mix in your 200 in a unmodified engine? Also, do you mix the fuel before putting it in the tank or just add it all in and let it mix itself up?

Thanks,

No engine mods whatsoever..... I started by filling my 90's tank 3/4 full of diesel, then topped up to the full mark with "rapeseed oil", it started fine, after a few minutes of driving the engine sounded smoother (as in not as rattly tractor sounding). The following day it started again no probs...although it coughed/spluttered a bit until engine was warm(apparently veg oil drags any gunk out of the tank/pipes). As mentioned above look at changing the fuel filter (personally i'd change it after 500miles, but thats up to you). I only ever used rapeseed or sunflower oil. You will notice your engine will run smoother.
The following week (next fill up) i went straight to 60/40 diesel/veg oil mix and kept it running that ratio no probs (never attempted any greater ratios).

All I would say is go and do some proper research BEFORE you pour veg oil in.....

the 200/300 Tdi engines are Direct Injection.
which means especially when cold, the veg oil can easily reach the cylinder sides and cause ring gumming.
its also MUCH easier for the veg oil to get into the sump.

either problems are not good for the engine....

Indirect injection diesels however, use a prechamber which is connected to the cylinder by a small connecting tube.
because of how much further the fuel has to travel from the injector to the cylinder wall sides, its VERY unlikely you will get ring gumming.
which is why IDI diesels are much more suited to running veg oil....

I am not trying to put you off, by any means....and at the end of the day, its up to you...its your engine.

But please do some more research first.
I know a lot of people do run DI diesels on veg happily....but similarly there are quite a few people who have blown engines up running it.

The only way I personally would consider running a DI diesel on SVO/WVO is using a secondary tank and a heat exchanger.
when the SVO/WVO is nice and hot, then switch to it.
and remember to purge the system before you switch off...
but there is still a small risk of oil contamination and ring gumming.

then arises the problem, of whether you do long enough journeys to heat the oil sufficiently.

as for how the setup is done, the most popular method for a twin tank is as follows:

\/----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\/
diesel tank --> diesel filter --> selector tap --> lift pump --> injection pump --> return line --> return selector tap
SVO tank --> SVO heated filter --^
/\----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\/

I hope that makes sense :)

good luck :D

EDIT:
I have already done lots of research into running SVO/WVO either in mixes or straight heated....
personally in a DI diesel, I would be tempted to look at making homemade biodiesel.
a DI is fine running on 100% bio, and it doesnt need to be heated

Back
Top Bottom