• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Catastrophic engine failure?!

There's a very salutory lesson on Landyzone at the moment. Broken crank, owner takes vehicle to dealer (independent), LR agree to pay 25%, dealer thinks they can do better and sends the vehicle to a repair garage for an engine rebuild. The repair garage is a scam and the vehicle is lost. its all in the hands of solicitors and the Police, but it a lesson in how badly things can go wrong.
That is sobering! From looking at the timeline of my original posting of this thread I see that there has been a number of others that have had the same issue. Obviously a lot more common than I originally thought.

Oh yes, all repaired and now since sold I as have an Disco 5 now.

I approached Land Rover head office and they contacted the dealer and honoured the costs, but that was over 4 years ago now. The dealership were not at all helpful until they were leant on from above.

Has anyone heard of anything like this, I've searched the forum but ther doesn't seem to be any specific trend amongst the Disco4 family.

I have a disco 4 XS that is literally just had its 4th birthday (warrantee ran out on the 28th October), it's done 45k miles and has a full landrover service history. It is due a service about one, the little reminder came on a week or two ago.

I went to drop my son off to school and I heard a slight noise that I couldn't figure if it was my imagination or not. Once it got a little louder I realised the noise (knocking) was inline with engine revs so I stopped and had a listen. It was not that bad, just loud enough now to make me realises I wasn't just making it up. Elected to drive off the main drag to go on a parallel road where I could stop for a short while and check the oil with the new non dip stick version.

Never got there, noise became massive for about 3 secs and the engine seized - to be verified!

Any thoughts experiences would be gratefully received - I know this is going to be expensive!
hi, I bought disco 2017 with 2 year warranty and the warranty expired on DEC2020, though I didnt drive much (38k miles) in the lockdown and finally gave my disco 2017 for last free service with the dealer, it was well serviced on 20MAY2021 with £700 bill and then on 31May2021 suddenly it flashed red light with engine oil critically low and then I stopped the car immediately and dropped the car with the dealer. Now they are saying Engine is gone and I need new engine which costs more than 10k. Important thing is ever since I bought the landrover I have been complaining about the noise in engine and pickup but they kept saying its all fine and once the warranty period is over they are revealing all the things with huge bill , I am now speaking to Landrover Head office to get this sorted out.

Advice welcomed - I have a 2016 disco sport. C58k mileage. Purchased from main dealer c4 years ago. Had a situation yesterday - red triangle on dash, restricted performance flashed up and billowing white smoke out the back. No Big Bang, but power diminished - found a lay-by within half a mile (we were on the a30 near whiddon down, Devon). Recovery have got the vehicle and we have a courtesy car right now but I’m soooo worried as to what this fault is going to be and the likely cost to repair. Any suggestions? And any advice on whether we shd approach Land Rover? I expected better from a ‘premium’ brand!

Was the engine still running? You didn't get a warning of low oil pressure? The engine is probably fine.

lt's more likely a failed turbo which is not so bad.

Once we stopped, it turned over but wouldn’t start again. No other warnings.
Was the engine still running? You didn't get a warning of low oil pressure? The engine is probably fine.

lt's more likely a failed turbo which is not so bad.

I have every finger and every toe crossed!!! Thanks for responding!

Hi people, I had another thread on here which I have updated. It’s a very very long story but I managed to get Landrover to pay for all repairs. It was diagnosed as ‘internal component failure’ . I have no idea what the internal component was but I think it’s something called the engine cooler as they pressure tested this and it was cracked. I fought a good fight - I felt truly aggrieved that a 5 year old vehicle should encounter such serious faults. They replaced 6 parts including the engine air cooler, dpf filter, cat, turbo, intercooler, back box on the exhaust. Originally they offered to fund 47% of turbo costs but as their investigations went on it became clear it was much more serious. They had the car at Harwoods, Basingstoke for 4.5 months. I had a great assistant at Harwoods called Shelby who kept me fully updated. An independent garage and Harwoods both said it needed a new engine but JLR insisted it was not required. When I got the car back they wouldn’t warranty the parts as I had not paid for them. I had lost confidence with the vehicle and we traded it through a garage for a Seat Ateca (don’t snigger) which is new and will hopefully give a few years of trouble free motoring. I miss the handling of the landrover, but reliability is top of my wish list. Sorry to be so long updating!!!

Hi people, I had another thread on here which I have updated. It’s a very very long story but I managed to get Landrover to pay for all repairs. It was diagnosed as ‘internal component failure’ . I have no idea what the internal component was but I think it’s something called the engine cooler as they pressure tested this and it was cracked. I fought a good fight - I felt truly aggrieved that a 5 year old vehicle should encounter such serious faults. They replaced 6 parts including the engine air cooler, dpf filter, cat, turbo, intercooler, back box on the exhaust. Originally they offered to fund 47% of turbo costs but as their investigations went on it became clear it was much more serious. They had the car at Harwoods, Basingstoke for 4.5 months. I had a great assistant at Harwoods called Shelby who kept me fully updated. An independent garage and Harwoods both said it needed a new engine but JLR insisted it was not required. When I got the car back they wouldn’t warranty the parts as I had not paid for them. I had lost confidence with the vehicle and we traded it through a garage for a Seat Ateca (don’t snigger) which is new and will hopefully give a few years of trouble free motoring. I miss the handling of the landrover, but reliability is top of my wish list. Sorry to be so long updating!!!
Good you got it sorted but it’s a shame you sold it after all the aggravation but loosing faith in the brand is an all too familiar talking point on here .end of the day it’s not going to do JLR any good .
and not giving you a warranty on the parts they replaced because you didn’t pay for them is the last straw I guess ..
enjoy the new car .🙂

That's a great result, really pleased that you didn't have to pay for the repairs.

l was looking at the D4 because l can't afford to go ahead with my Defender order, but it's put me off the vehicle. lt seems that this engine failure can happen at any time without warning, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it happening.

We have a 2017 discovery with £52k miles, full LR service history and no previous concerns with the vehicle. The engine light appeared on the dash and said the oil level was critical. We stopped at the nearest dealership and filled up with two bottles, the light disappeared and all seemed ok. A few hours later, the red engine light appeared and the car then completely cut and the vehicle was recovered by LR. We’ve been advised it’s most likely a catastrophic engine failure with both turbos also failed, costing about £20k!
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to proceed?
Also if we replace the engine, does this affect the value of the vehicle and will it need declaring on DVLA documents?
Thanks in advance 🙏🏼

You and a lot of other people apparently.

I'd suggest reading this thread from the start and the others on this forum covering the same issue;

(etc)

will it need declaring on DVLA documents?
If you replace like for like then you'll probably only need to change the engine number on the document. Not hard to do, just requires you to send the V5 off to the DVLA, howeveryou mightneed to send proof of the change like a receipt of the work. Did it with my 90 when I realised the previous owner hadn't changed it when they put the new engine in. Otherwise you might need to declare a change to the listed engine cc and/or fuel type.
But of course that's only if you want to do things by the book. Would probably cause less headaches when selling it in the future if the paperwork all matches.

You and a lot of other people apparently.

I'd suggest reading this thread from the start and the others on this forum covering the same issue;

(etc)
Thank you, I did have a read yesterday and it’s quite worrying. I’m also concerned that if we go ahead with the repair then the same thing could happen down the line with the replacement engine!? There’s no guarantee and nobody seems to have any significant warning.

Back
Top Bottom