• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Catastrophic engine failure?!

Thing is once you have it repaired/replaced you know exactly what you have under the bonnet , before you really havenā€™t a clue apart from a service history ..a fella I knew years ago worked at a print for a tenner he could print whatever you wanted šŸ˜ so basically you never know .

Firstly lets hope JLR cough up for the replacement engine in full, not some quibbling penny pinching deal. Then once you've had it a short time sell it on as having a new engine. This should get you a decent price. The problem is that there is no pattern or warning to these failures so a thrashed/no history one could be as reliable as driven carefully FSH. The failures posted on here are mostly FSH vehicles with modest mileage, perhaps the thrashed high mileage ones just get scraped?
The problem is that a second failure is as likely as the first since JLR have made no changes and have never explained the cause. The bigger problem is that while the probability of a second failure remains the same my bet is that the probability of getting JLR to pay up a second time gets rather smaller. I may be wrong, but who wants to be finding out?

lt's stopped me from buying the pristine 35,000 mile 2016 D4 that my friend will be selling when he gets his Defender.

I just can't take the chance on it. I wouldn't be able to afford Ā£10,000 for a new engine and there's no guarantee LR will contribute.

lt's stopped me from buying the pristine 35,000 mile 2016 D4 that my friend will be selling when he gets his Defender.

I just can't take the chance on it. I wouldn't be able to afford Ā£10,000 for a new engine and there's no guarantee LR will contribute.
Why would they contribute on a 2016 vehicle; it's now 2022?

Because it's a design fault with the unit?

ls it acceptable for a Ā£50,000 vehicle to be scrap after six years and 36,000 miles because of an inherent design flaw in the engine?

Agree its not acceptable, but it could be reality. I've never seen a persuasive explanation of the failures that provides any reasonable advice on how to predict them or what to look for in a vehicle. I've never seen any published investigation from JLR with any cause or any evidence that there have been engine modifications to reduce the problem. That's a pretty unusual situation and suggests to me that the JLR strategy is let it run out and pay only when they have to. It doesn't seem to be affecting sales (yet?) and they make take the view that any Disco sales lost to this can be gained back as Defender sales. If an owner makes a big fuss they pay, if not then they don't. There's no bad publicity from owners who keep quiet.

The other element is probably that as far as JLR are concerned, so long as It makes it past its first owner/leaseholder without too many failures it isn't a problem.
What happens on the used market only becomes a concern if it has an approved warranty

Because it's a design fault with the unit?

ls it acceptable for a Ā£50,000 vehicle to be scrap after six years and 36,000 miles because of an inherent design flaw in the engine?
Absolutely not, but unfortunately, car manufacturers have been getting away with this sort of thing forever. The engine is I believe, Peugeot supplied, so if that's the case, it isn't necessarily a "design flaw" per se, but more a misapplication. Quite frankly, I think that engine is the wrong power unit for the application and that's why they break; just not strong enough.
To successfully bring JLR to task would take a considerable amount of money to take it through the courts. That would require a committed, strongly financed, group of affected individuals who could stay the course. JLR (and other corporations) has the time, money, and motivation to keep this type of legal fight going on for years and thereby preventing the plaintiffs from winning their case. It's also IMO why JLR do cover or contribute to some cases, as it stops those disgruntled customers from getting together and organising themselves into a credible group that could mount a formal legal case against them.
A prima facie case that the engine is flawed design wouldn't get far, a ton of supporting evidence to back the claim would be required and that would require a lot of money spending to compile. Engineering reports on the overall design, of the components used, the various other parts suppliers and sub contractors involved, full technical analysis and inspection of the good engine and again, for the failures. It would cost thousands and then millions, and take years.
It's not going to happen!

The engine is I believe, Peugeot supplied, so if that's the case, it isn't necessarily a "design flaw" per se, but more a misapplication. Quite frankly, I think that engine is the wrong power unit for the application and that's why they break; just not strong enough.
Completely agree, French Peugeot owners thrash these things mercilessly and there's no reports of this problem. Ditto Jaguars. JLR got something wrong (my hunch is its torsional resonance, but that's another debate).
The other element is probably that as far as JLR are concerned, so long as It makes it past its first owner/leaseholder without too many failures it isn't a problem.
What happens on the used market only becomes a concern if it has an approved warranty

I was working at Ford in the 1980s when they had a terrible (and deserved) reputation for rust and engines that failed at 100k. They did a cost benefit of improving rust protection and engine quality. They were especially concerned about the Granada vs Mercedes and the Cortina. They concluded that since 95 of Fords were fleet or company sales they had changed hands by 3 years and Ford owed no duty to the used car market so they did nothing. Of course it all went wrong, Mercedes got the luxury car market and Ford lost it.

Back
Top Bottom