• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Cliff's Disco 2 thread

Refitting the radius arms yesterday. My God, what an absolute pig of a day, after removing the arms it seems that the rear axle had rotated upwards and back. The air bags were pointing towards the rear of the vehicle at about 30 degrees or so. I guess that the vehicle being jacked up at the rear while parked on a slope invited gravity to the party! With a bolt through holding the arms in position at the front bushing, swivelling up to their rear fixings on the axle, the rear bolt holes were hopelessly out of alignment. I cannot describe the struggle to try and move the axle into position to get thing realigned; it was hard and painful. Alone, I had to inch things into place with a combination of 2 jacks, wooden blocks, and a ratchet strap to eventually get one bolt through the rear-most bushing mount. Having managed this on both sides, I then managed to level up and align the front-most bushing by using the D2 bottle jack to push up on the radius arms. So after about 6 hours of abject torture I finally got all 6 bolts through and both arms re-attached. It was now too dark to work and I was too exhausted to contemplate torquing up.
I'm trying to relax today and ignore the pain I'm experiencing in every joint and muscle of my body, I'm not exaggerating when I say this, I'm in agony today. I just hope I can finish the job tomorrow so that I can book the MOT retest.

Ive heard they are an absolute pig to do so well done!
Ive an idea I saw a youtube vid showing the "easy" way but I guess that wasnt including doing it on a gradient!

OMG…..what a series of painful experiences you have overcome.
We must really love these Landrovers.
After seeing the extent of the rot you have dealt with im starting to
A) worry mine will be as bad or worse
B) Understand why people might just think paying 8-10k for a less rusty import D2 is worthwhile…..

The interior on my recently acquired D2 is dry (so far) but its had a patch on the inner rear door arch similar to yours which has been done really hashily. Makes me sorry about what is inside …well….everywhere.

Massive respect for the determined and continuing efforts to keep yours working well.

OMG…..what a series of painful experiences you have overcome.
We must really love these Landrovers.
After seeing the extent of the rot you have dealt with im starting to
A) worry mine will be as bad or worse
B) Understand why people might just think paying 8-10k for a less rusty import D2 is worthwhile…..

The interior on my recently acquired D2 is dry (so far) but its had a patch on the inner rear door arch similar to yours which has been done really hashily. Makes me sorry about what is inside …well….everywhere.

Massive respect for the determined and continuing efforts to keep yours working well.
Did you inspect the body when you brought it?

Yep …..
I knew about the slightly nasty rear arch repairs and the need for some remedial patching on the rear legs.
The worry is always the hidden rot that you haven't seen …its 20 years old so there will be some somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom