• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Defender 2002 TD5 not turning

PaulE54

In Second Gear
Hi, try not to ramble too much but central locking not working, all dash lights show inc. Fuel pump whirring, glow plugs, Engine light, headlights, interior, etc., but when turning to ignition 2 - nothing, no clicking nowt. Checked all fuses and relays bar one. This is a Lucus Relay in Engine bay, no idea what it does or how to check (see photo). Replacement fully charged battery fitted but makes no difference. Factory fitted alarm only but immobiliser light not showing.
When turning key battery loses about 1v, any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220919_115840.jpg
    20220919_115840.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 169
I’d suspect an CDL/Immobiliser issue. Got to ask - have you tried a different key fob or new battery in the fob you are using?

I can’t imagine that relay is anything to do with it, more likely to be for supplementary lighting, it looks very ‘after market’.

Only way to know for sure is to follow the wires. I'd suspect headlight wiring.

For it not starting you need to see if the exciter wire (small red cable to the spade connector on the starter motor) is being made live when you turn the key. Easiest way is with a test bulb (be careful not to short anything).

If you need to get it running you can connect a jump lead to the big red cable on back of starter then touch it to the + on the battery with key in and on. If it turns over but doesn't start I'd suspect immobiliser or fuel pump. If it starts my money is on dodgy starter solenoid.

Had a problem like that on my Td5 2004 turned out to be the contact spades on the starter motor. Quick wiggle on them and try also check your earth wire contact points all round. Check your voltage on the battery and see if you have enough power to turn it over.

Had a problem like that on my Td5 2004 turned out to be the contact spades on the starter motor. Quick wiggle on them and try also check your earth wire contact points all round. Check your voltage on the battery and see if you have enough power to turn it over.
Mine has a habit or working lose :( last time I had the starter off I "was" going to solder on a length of cable with a more robust connector than a spade connector - didn't happen as couldn't find the soldering iron - settled for crimping the spade slightly to make it harder to push on - barely touch it and it slips off :(

Thanks guys, I tried the other keyfob and checked the batteries in both but that gave the same result. It could well be the Starter or Solenoid, but getting to it is a right pain. I'm puzzled why that would affect the central locking. I'm thinking of getting my local mechanic to run his diagnostics box on it to see what that throws up.

I'm still leaning on an issue with the alarm ECU, it seems too much of a coincidence that you've lost CDL and can't start it.

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 10.31.04.png

DynaVT, thanks for that, fuse 8 I've checked. Do you know whereabout's the Anti-Theft Alarm ECU is located, is this a remove dash job?

DynaVT, thanks for that, fuse 8 I've checked. Do you know whereabout's the Anti-Theft Alarm ECU is located, is this a remove dash job?
It's behind the instrument panel, a real sod to get to. Steering column shroud will probably have to come off as well to make life slightly easier.

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 13.11.34.png

If you don't have air conditioning you can access through the speaker hole, if you have air con, good luck....
Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 13.13.51.png
Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 13.14.00.png

Back
Top Bottom