• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Engine died- crank shaft fault

Yer I complained every day with ombudsman and solicitors I went back to the original garage where I purchased the car they started to look into it,didnt getback so I tracked down the group director on LinkedIn and sent him my complaint who passed it back down to head of aftersales who between them and JLR customer care offered 60% car now getting repaired not back yet....
Some info on Trading Standards website regarding recalls, https://www.tradingstandards.uk/new...ed-or-risk-prosecution-dvsa-warns-car-dealers

Dear All
As mentioned earlier I am starting a legal action against JLR.
i have spoken today to an expert lawyer in consumer laws and he confirmed we can use a Group Litigation Order (GLO) to sue JLR. To constitute this GLO we need several claimants and the more the merrier so all disappointed customers who have the same problem of crankshaft defect are welcome to join. Do not worry about financing the claim as initially just a small contribution will be requested to start the action but there are other ways to finance the claim such as a CFA whereby our lawyers will accept not to charge us or eventually a small amount and they will get paid on the damages allocated to us so each one of us would have to pay them a small fee.
I will in this respect start collecting contact details of the claimants. If you are happy with this and are willing to claim please send me a PM. @ moderators is it ok if I create a specific thread?
Thanks everyone
Can you provide more details please if this is going ahead ?

Hello, I also just had a crankshaft / bearing failure on my Discovery. We were on the motorway and had to swerve suddenly to reach the hard shoulder. Having read through lots of forums/youtube etc I'm shocked to see that it is such a common problem and that LR continued to churn out these engines for so many years while well aware of the inherent fault. My car is a late 2015 Discovery HSE SDV6 with 55k miles and full LR service history. Land Rover Italy, where I live, have offered only 30% after weeks of discussions, leaving me with a bill of 8k + VAT for a reconditioned engine. I've had a quote for a 9.5k +VAT for a brand new engine from a trusted independent which would probably be a better long term choice - ridiculous if you consider that the responsibility lies firmly in Jaguar Land Rover's hands. In that case I will be making a detailed video of the problem for youtube as have others. It's only right they get the negative publicity they deserve if this is their attitude. Does anyone have any suggestions and what about the aforementioned legal action?

I think this is the sad trueth: If you buy a massive wagon with an engine designed to work for the duration of warranty it's like leasehold. You renew it
I think that JLR will go hard for the lease car market and promote leases up to 5 years will full warrenty cover then put them to auction and use that to cut any liability.
I see the new Def comes with a 5 year warrenty - so you buy new, are guaranteed 5 years use then is written right down. No use if you do low miles. I wonder how much of the new Def price is to fund the warrenty cover?
The land rover website only mentions a 3 yr warranty on the Defender, the same for all models. Where did you see 5 years? I doubt if they would offer that as it would bankrupt them with all the claims!

Hi All,
Similar to most people on this forum, I too experienced a catastrophic crankshaft failure on my 2012 Discovery 4 HSE after 104,000kms on the clock (64,000 miles). Despite a series of technical diagnostics that concluded that indeed the crankshaft failed, Land Rover Australia have decided not to accept any liability or show any good will. Their position is that it is out of warrenty so bad luck.
I'm taking the case to the State ombudsman and it is my hope that they will rule that I as the consumer should reasonably expect a crackshaft to perform for longer than 104,000 kms, given there's a full service history and no early failure signs.
Can anyone tell me how many crankshaft failures this particular engine has had? I am aware of the Technical Service Bulletin but don't have any hard numbers regarding the size/frequency of the problem.
Also, I'd be more than happy to join a collective legal process.

Regards, Tim

Dear All
As mentioned earlier I am starting a legal action against JLR.
i have spoken today to an expert lawyer in consumer laws and he confirmed we can use a Group Litigation Order (GLO) to sue JLR. To constitute this GLO we need several claimants and the more the merrier so all disappointed customers who have the same problem of crankshaft defect are welcome to join. Do not worry about financing the claim as initially just a small contribution will be requested to start the action but there are other ways to finance the claim such as a CFA whereby our lawyers will accept not to charge us or eventually a small amount and they will get paid on the damages allocated to us so each one of us would have to pay them a small fee.
I will in this respect start collecting contact details of the claimants. If you are happy with this and are willing to claim please send me a PM. @ moderators is it ok if I create a specific thread?
Thanks everyone
Are you pursuing this? My engine on my 2015 Discovery 4 failed in November and I got no where with LR other than a 20% contribution which was still £12k. I got the engine replaced elsewhere for £5.5k as LR were not replying to my emails and I need the car for my daughters wheelchair. I was going to submit a small claims court claim for the engine repair but a GLO would be even better as this needs to be public. I have a statement from the garage that I had it repaired at saying it is a design fault that isn't fit for purpose.

This problem with Discovery crankshafts has been known about for at least 2 years to my knowledge. Car manufacturers have been notoriously evasive in dealing with design and manufacturing faults throughout the history of vehicle manufacture. They have somehow gotten away with it by being bigger and more powerful and able to tie things up in legal knots for years on end. I hope you manage to get somewhere but I rather fear pigs may learn to fly first. Good luck though.

Are you pursuing this? My engine on my 2015 Discovery 4 failed in November and I got no where with LR other than a 20% contribution which was still £12k. I got the engine replaced elsewhere for £5.5k as LR were not replying to my emails and I need the car for my daughters wheelchair. I was going to submit a small claims court claim for the engine repair but a GLO would be even better as this needs to be public. I have a statement from the garage that I had it repaired at saying it is a design fault that isn't fit for purpose.
HI, did you manage to get anywhere with this ? How did the repairs go ? I am in the same position, LR will offer nothing towards the repair and I have been quoted 7k from the garage, the garage have advised though that its only 50/50 that the repair will last and the vehicle could break down anytime ?

Hi All, the same happened to my engine today.. 2015 RR Sport, 55K miles, engine sounded rough, had an expert look at it and confirmed.. im the 2nd owner, bought it at a BCA auction as an end of lease car in October 20, lovely motor, but this is quite a shock, never had to buy another engine before! not sure where i can go from here except shall out for a new one and next time take out the warranty, although the warranty for this type of thing im sure is wrapped in red tape.

Hi All, the same happened to my engine today.. 2015 RR Sport, 55K miles, engine sounded rough, had an expert look at it and confirmed.. im the 2nd owner, bought it at a BCA auction as an end of lease car in October 20, lovely motor, but this is quite a shock, never had to buy another engine before! not sure where i can go from here except shall out for a new one and next time take out the warranty, although the warranty for this type of thing im sure is wrapped in red tape.
NWS near Whitchurch in Shropshire can rebuild them so maybe worth a call.

I own a discovery TD4 HSE. 8 yr, less than 60k on clock. Fully serviced, Landrover approved, MOT pass in March. Returning from Aberdeen engine completely shut down on duel carriageway. No warning lights nothing. Once recovered garage say diagnostic test found that the crank shaft had seized. Now requires a brand new engine! Mechanic says it’s a component fault. Landrover not willing to contribute to fixing this. Will deliver nothing to us for repair. So disappointed as have had Freelanders/discovery’s for over 20 years. Anyone else heard /experience of this problem ??
Exactly same for me travelling along in fully serviced (2nd Feb) Range Rover Vogue felt a kick and engine shut down. coasted to a halt got out engine oil all over the floor. Catastrophic engine failure bottom end disintegrated. No warning no lights no nothing, just bang and a repair bill in excess of £12K....................................

We have the exact same issue - crankshaft gone and engine seized. Landrover are saying they can't claim responsibility until they've run a diagnostic test at one of their centres which will apparently cost £8000! Has anyone had this same response? Obviously don't want to pay this much money. Can we get a diagnostic test done anywhere else? Thanks!

Land Rover are saying, or the dealer is saying..?

I think thats bollocks personally, seeing as they have a recent history of multiple failures of the same type.

I cant understand why one of the consumer rights programmes hasnt picked this up yet and wiped the floor with them over their piss-poor customer service.

Its certainly doing nothing for their PR or credibility. I wouldnt touch one of the new vehicles with a bargepole now...

HI
Im normally lurking on rrsport forum but thought found this and thought Id join in the fight!

All Same thing has just happened to me on a 2014 L494 with 41K on it no warnings just a ticking noise that got louder then then it all died lost brakes (no servo assist) luck I could pull over and traffic was light! FLRSH only owned the car just under a year bought end of last may, done 2301 miles in it and its just passed MOT!
Surely this isnt something that LR cna keep ignoring! Its clearly not right I understand a full recall would cost alot of money and not all cars will be effected but anyhting under 10yrs old and less than 100K should be sorted FOC as they should be embarassed by the fault on what is deemed the best brand in the world for rufty tufty off roaders, not much good if you are rolling across the desert planes or clmbering through the green lanes of Wales if the engine is a pile and packs up! I honestly want to support British and love the brand but this has let me down however if they are sensible and rectify the issues at a resonable cost then some faith will be restored but I suspect there will be nothing in reality as its out of warranty!
It was serviced no more than 5miles ago by LR so there are no real excuses, and so im lead to understand that all crankshafts are ultrasonically tested prior to fitting to stop this so how one can just sheer in to pieces is beoynd me and even if it has it shouldnt be the customers job to cover the costs!

If the issue isnt addressed then I think we all need to get together en masse and take it too them as it not only renders the car not fit for purpose but even with a new engine its still devalued as most buyers will be put off by an engine change!

And yet my mums old Ford Fiesta keep chugging away and even my Mrs's Alfa Mito that is abused keeps going! Disgusting really on a premium brand product but more the fact that there seems to be little service to want to put it right when it goes wrong!

Also not sure if you guys have seen this but someone did start a petition on this but I think it ran out of steam! So might be worth helping out

Last edited:
Did the Group Litigation Order ever go anywhere? I think we need to bring this out in the open for JLR. From above it would appear that this is now a regular occurence and not just an odd one or too and JLR are getting away with it! Ive been quoted 13.6K for LR to repalce and others around 7K ish ans till only 1 yr warranty! Surely this isnt right and should be looked into much deeper as it would appear the problem is just being washed aside!

Im happy to help out where I can, I think YouTube could be a good outlet for a full expose on the problem! I got blocked by JLR for asking them the question via Twitter so they blocked me but if enough people also did this if would be hard for them to control as long as we only state fact and are honest there is little they have to fight against.
Is costing owners a lot of money and JLR know of the issue and are choosing to ignore it because they are big and we are small!

HELP / ADVICE NEEDED
We have a Landrover Range Rover Sport 2015 model that has had complete engine failure which we have now learned is down to a crankshaft design problem noted with these models although it has never been recalled by Landrover. Stratstone Landrover have quoted us £19k to replace the engine and all components however given the nature of the problem we thought Landrover would cover the majority of the cost, they have offered us a 10% contribution. We would like to hear from anyone else that this has happened to or anyone that can offer any advice of what we can do, the car was bought at 2 years old and we have owned it for approximately 2 years but there is no warranty on the car now, never the less a car of this cost should not have complete engine failure after just 4 years of being manufactured. Thank you
My LandRover Discovery 2017 has similar problem, my warranty expired 5 months ago (Dec2020) and I didnt drive at all in the lock down and now its Engine failure, I complained about engine noise whilst it was in warranty but they kept saying car was fine and now after warranty period they are saying Engine failure. I paid 50 grand on this now they are asking £20k for Engine replacement and I never thought about the Engine failure for 3 year old car and didnt check the warranty period. I explained the landrover head office about the dealer ignorance and waiting for the outcome !!!

My LandRover Discovery 2017 has similar problem, my warranty expired 5 months ago (Dec2020) and I didnt drive at all in the lock down and now its Engine failure, I complained about engine noise whilst it was in warranty but they kept saying car was fine and now after warranty period they are saying Engine failure. I paid 50 grand on this now they are asking £20k for Engine replacement and I never thought about the Engine failure for 3 year old car and didnt check the warranty period. I explained the landrover head office about the dealer ignorance and waiting for the outcome !!!
Good luck mate let us know how you get on! Ive jsut shelled out £13600 for a new engine in mine too 41K on it only drove 2300 in the last year cos of lock down, also couldnt get it serviced either not that it should matter that much as the car was hardly used! I still intend to fight it but thought it best go with the LR quote as going outside the dealers will be even harder to get any contribution for it!

First my sympathy, this is all wrong and it does seem that carefully driven, fully serviced cars at at the same risk as neglected ones. Taking a step back I think all the major manufacturers are going to play hardball and walk away from their responsibilities. JLR are not alone in having sold some dog engines, BMW have some horrors too. I think the problem now is timing, they are going to push EV very hard and don't much care about the reputation of their IC engines. Goutham: I'll bet that dealer knew exactly what was coming and planned on timing out the warranty, but that's no comfort. I do think we have to name and shame, so far not all manufacturers are taking such a cynical position:

Back
Top Bottom