• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Engine immobilisation - Cant turn key

Børge Pedersen

In Third Gear
Hi
My problem started as an engine immobilisation issue, i suppose.
It seems to work in mysterious ways!

However, no I can't even turn my key around in the ignition.
Thus I can's start the car and I can't even open the steering wheel lock.

Any ideas?

Børge
LR Disco 2 - 2003

Assume it's just happened, as Japanese and NAS spec vehicles have an ignition key interlock, u don't have one of these do you :)

You will find the lock barrel is worn out, these are quite easy to take apart. There is a small brass pin about 6mm in diameter you need to take out of the switch body, this holds the barrel into the switch. I just use a center punch on the ally case to get the pin out.
When the lock barrel is out you will find it has lots of tiny brass slides that retract into the barrel when you insert the key, when they are worn they do not fully retract. You could insert the key and then file the bits of brass off that are sticking out and reassemble the swtich or do what I have done before and rip all of the slides out so any key will fit!
Only down side with that mod is the key can be removed/fall out with the engine running.

Back
Top Bottom