• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

UK Green Lanes

If it says byway then it’s legal. You can get maps on line or on a app for byways . You can also see them on a paper map!! You’re car needs to have tax, mot and insurance. If it says restricted byway it means you can only travel so far then turn back.

If it says byway then it’s legal. You can get maps on line or on a app for byways . You can also see them on a paper map!! You’re car needs to have tax, mot and insurance. If it says restricted byway it means you can only travel so far then turn back.

Definitive map at the relevant council is THE only foolproof way of checking what's legal/illegal to drive....

Restricted byway DOESN'T mean you can only drive so far....
It means there are restrictions in force (usually applying to powered vehicles)

Screenshot_20200220-145327_Drive.jpg

If you are a member of GLASS (green lane association) you can use trail wise site that gives you a good basis to start from legal wise.

I did a little bit if gentle green laning a couple of years back, because the route I planned was gentle I went alone (well myself and then 9 yr old son). All was well until one rut suddenly got a lot deeper. OK I'm sure we were within lean limit but we had a loaded roof rack and camper top and I realised in that moment how easy it would be to topple and spend the rest of the day there. I'd checked the rout on map and google earth for steepness and condition but of course the lean did not show up. A reminder to never go alone!

There are a couple of lanes near me which are popular. Living in the east mids the terrain is not that challenging. Its mostly gentling rolling stuff.
One day I came across a fully kitted out disco on its side. it had toppled over in a wash out rut left by heavy farm plant on the side of a mild hill.

That was when I realised how easy it is to come to grief and get stranded. Never gone alone since then

Back
Top Bottom