• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

UK Green Lanes

Nice one. I took the misses down a lane on Valentines day. They've all been closed here but this one still has the old signs up and the logging lorries have been using it.
There’s two well known ones around here that have been closed I don’t think they will reopen again .the council’s don’t want you there ...to many idiots spoil it for others ..

There’s two well known ones around here that have been closed I don’t think they will reopen again .the council’s don’t want you there ...to many idiots spoil it for others ..

All of them on Exmoor got closed 15 years ago. Some of them you can't even walk down now as they're so over grown. A couple of them are classed as unclassified roads so you can still use them. Tho the farmers put up signs saying you can't.

The thing is the people that are wrecking the countryside still do. They just buy an old 4x4 and trash it then scrap it.

All of them on Exmoor got closed 15 years ago. Some of them you can't even walk down now as they're so over grown. A couple of them are classed as unclassified roads so you can still use them. Tho the farmers put up signs saying you can't.

The thing is the people that are wrecking the countryside still do. They just buy an old 4x4 and trash it then scrap it.
On the rare occasion that I go if it looks to rutty or torn up I don’t go I can’t see the sense of ripping it up more .and because there is no one to go with ,friends who had them over the years have sold them .
Anyone would think they are unreliable..😁

That me put it this way, I am so glad I started laning in the 80s and really enjoyed it up until about 6 years ago.
Don't get me wrong I still go out, and can't remember the last time I took a map, as it is imprinted in my brain for Derbyshire lol, and I always will until am banned from doing it all together.
I have loads of photos of lanes, information, old books, 1st editions etc etc, and most of all, great memories, and the friends that I have met along the way.
I just cannot cope with all the political shit that goes along with it today.
And that's from all sides!!!

;)

Its a massive pain in the arse nowadays. We have a lovely piece of old roman road close to our village which is still a byway for about 3 miles, but lately there have been a number of vans parked up and people wheel out quad bikes who then proceed to tear down the lane like its some motorsport venue.
Its inevitable that the lane will be closed soon due to the repeated damage, we have heavy cley soil here and the wet winter has meant the lane has suffered badly
Not worth driving it this summer as Ray Clayton points out the agro from both sides on the lane just isn't worth

Its a massive pain in the arse nowadays. We have a lovely piece of old roman road close to our village which is still a byway for about 3 miles, but lately there have been a number of vans parked up and people wheel out quad bikes who then proceed to tear down the lane like its some motorsport venue.
Its inevitable that the lane will be closed soon due to the repeated damage, we have heavy cley soil here and the wet winter has meant the lane has suffered badly
Not worth driving it this summer as Ray Clayton points out the agro from both sides on the lane just isn't worth
The thing is the lanes being closed dosent stop the ones tearing up the countryside. They either go at night or just don't care.

Mmm That's about what Dave Wright, Myself and a few more said.
But not in such a polite way Mike.

I was one of the founder Members of GLASS and spent many a many year fighting for lanes.
Sat on the LARA steering committee, MSA Committee etc etc.
Fell out with the TRF more times than i can remember.
Threatened with court action from my own side, and others.
Seen so many changes, and after stepping back all together from the political scene it as now become.
Will I always support GLASS and remain a member. Yes unless they kick me out.
But I will not always agree with all there polices, and will challenge them if need be.
And still here on my soap box now and again lol.

Bottom line here to remember the LAW.
This is a Road, maintained at public expense.
You have a right to drive it in whatever vehicle, you seem fit and capable to drive with on these routes.
The speed limit on most lanes is the National speed limit.
You can drive in a convoy of up to12 vehicles on any road, after that you need an MSA exemption cert as it is a classed as a rally.

But to be good most of us drive.
No more than 4 drive a lane at once.
Drive at walking pace, so not to upset anyone.
Treat roads with respect to keep them open.
Do work on the Lanes to keep them open.

People are now putting up cameras on Lanes, to catch people out.
(you are entitled to go around any obstruction in a road if you are unable to move it)
So a camera in a certain position, could land you in court for doing the right thing?
Telling people when they can and cannot drive lanes.
What time of day or night you can drive them
What shirt to wear in pubic so not to offend.

All the above true and can be done under English, Welsh Law unless a TRO on the lane says different.
How do you know what it is, every TRO is published in the London Gazette along with all the information that you need to know.
Hers one I found years ago, and still look for them out of interest.
Mam Tor, Derbyshire which as a TRO on it for many many years. But it only every counted for going up the Mam Tor.
Not for coming down it lol. Used to drive it regular and had many a argument about it as well..
They rectified it after we used it for a few years LMFO
What a TRO sign does not tell you is the limits that are to be enforced along with it, that you need to check yourself, before you proceed.

And after all the above in either form you like to take it in.
We all get screwed over in the process!!!!!!!

I get of my soap box for now lol.

:D:D:D

Yes it can be done.
Never been any roads restricted in any law , to be honest. And remember you are on a road, not a green lane, a green lane does not exist in LAW.
As long has the Road you are driving was part of a route for an essential journey then that right was never taken away.
So you have always been within the LAW to drive it.

After all no restrictions ever existed on any other ROW did it?
M / A / B / UCR Roads?

;)

Yes it can be done.
Never been any roads restricted in any law , to be honest. And remember you are on a road, not a green lane, a green lane does not exist in LAW.
As long has the Road you are driving was part of a route for an essential journey then that right was never taken away.
So you have always been within the LAW to drive it.

After all no restrictions ever existed on any other ROW did it?
M / A / B / UCR Roads?

;)
That’s interesting I was thinking about the lockdown rules still in place regarding meeting others outside your bubble ..or car sharing although the guy I go with is my brother in law..so we see a lot of them

That’s interesting I was thinking about the lockdown rules still in place regarding meeting others outside your bubble ..or car sharing although the guy I go with is my brother in law..so we see a lot of them
But no travel restrictions are in place now, so don't see the problem with and off road journey or road journey.
As for passengers outside your household, that's a no no till May 17th i think.

;)

The end of the month is approaching.well nearly 😁 I’m thinking bank holiday Sunday for a drive out .byways around lenham ,ashford,Dover ,deal etc ,or if anybody knows of any ...pilgrims way springs to mind I here people talk about it ..if you fancy let me know ..😁
Take a pack lunch if you want ...should be allowed to mingle together by then ,if anything changes then so be it ..Paul

Back
Top Bottom