• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Green laning in France - suitable routes

i too am very interested in the overlays, i am organising a trip to the classic le mans next year with some pals and the folowing week some greenlaning around brittany and normandy, willing to contribute some money if required, as finding any routes at all is all but impossible unless we pay someone to take us on a tour! many thanks, kirk [restoring a 1973 109]
ps my e mail [email protected]

Hello Gavin, I am also interested in the overlays as i am planning crossing tha Alps from French - Italian borders - Frejus Area, all the way to Monaco. I would be glad if you can help me! my email is

[email protected]

and don't forget that if you ever visit Greece I can give you details and tracks for the Greek mountains (fabulus!)

Hi Gavin, I would be interested to see your routes for the Loire and the Pyrenees. I lie in the Loire and would like to do some off roading here and in the Spring I want to do a trip through the Pyrennes as a warm up for Morocco in July.
My email address is [email protected]

Hi Gavin,

i know this is an old thread, but we are planning a trip to France later this year and are collecting resources. A copy of you overlays would be very welcome. I'll happily share our route in return.

kind regards

simon ([email protected])

Hi Gavin,

i know this is an old thread, but we are planning a trip to France later this year and are collecting resources. A copy of you overlays would be very welcome. I'll happily share our route in return.

kind regards

simon ([email protected])

How far are you going down in France. I have a few tracks from the Maritime Alps we did last summer.

most are marked on maps etc.

Dan

I should be grateful if you could send me your Alpes Maritime routes. I went there last summer too. Fascinating and easy driving if you have a decent vehicle that you don't want to damage.

Beware the weather can change dramatically, we had a light snow one night, and a couple of days the temperature dropped to zero - in the middle of August!!!

In2011 one of the trans Alpine ballades they had some really heavy snow which made it a bit exciting. So take some warm clothes is the message.

There are several You-tube videos of Land-rovers in the Alps.

How far are you going down in France. I have a few tracks from the Maritime Alps we did last summer.

most are marked on maps etc.

Dan

Dan,

we are still in the planning stage, so not 100% sure how far we will go, but expect to spend two weeks on the trip so will be able to head quite far down.

would be happy to receive your routes ( and will share any we drive too)

Gavin,

thanks for the routes you sent..!

cheers

simon

Hi,

You can see most of our tracks and others on wikiloc at http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/user.do?id=46925 There is some detailed info on our website, which is linked from wikiloc.

Your best bet is to get some ign maps from Stanfords if you are able to pop in or the italian equivalent I forget the name, and just look for the tracks on those as most are marked. We had an idea of where from getting maps early in the year and then spoke to a few locals for the gen when we arrived.

Let me know if you need map names/numbers etc.

If you camp up there take your bog roll home!

Have fun!

Cheers

Dan

The IGN maps are available in all Presse shops(news agents).
I find if you arrive in an area,go to the local Presse,and get the maps there.They are around 8.00€ each.
We are off to Corsica next month,so will pick maps up when we arrive.

The IGN maps are available in all Presse shops(news agents).
I find if you arrive in an area,go to the local Presse,and get the maps there.They are around 8.00€ each.
We are off to Corsica next month,so will pick maps up when we arrive.

I was considering Corsica this year. There are some interesting tracks there. A few friends have recommended it as well have you been before?

We are still debating, the other one I might have a look around is Albania this year. Possibly drive back via Macedonia and Bulgaria. Not sure yet... All look like they have lots of interesting stuff to look at.

No,never been to Corsica before,but had lots of positive reports on it.Deserted beaches,that can only be accessed by 4x4.plus mountains as high as the Alps.
We did the Pyrenees,Northern Catalonia and Andorra last year.
My view is,just get out there and do it.It's a big old world out there.

Wikiloc is a great source of routes, particularly for Corsica.

I discovered that if you download more than about 16 routes at a time you get your account blocked for a couple of days.

No problem importing the GPX format in Memory-Map.

No,never been to Corsica before,but had lots of positive reports on it.Deserted beaches,that can only be accessed by 4x4.plus mountains as high as the Alps.
We did the Pyrenees,Northern Catalonia and Andorra last year.
My view is,just get out there and do it.It's a big old world out there.

Could not agree more. We do our best.

Wikiloc is a great source of routes, particularly for Corsica.

I discovered that if you download more than about 16 routes at a time you get your account blocked for a couple of days.

No problem importing the GPX format in Memory-Map.

Here is a useful tip for Wikiloc:- do your search for trails to include off-road motorcycles and enduro motorcycles. Odd as it may seem 4x4s and motorcycles use the same tracks. This will significantly increase the number of off-road routes that your search will produce.

Incidentally, I made an adverse comment about an off-road route posted on Wikiloc that consisted entirely of motorway and was "Flamed" I think is the nerd expression...

Back
Top Bottom