• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Green laning in France - suitable routes

I haven't found any routes on Wikiloc that are described as "Technical" (is that the right expression?) i.e. requiring a bit of a challenge needing winch, ropes, pullies, chains and all the other fun stuff that I lug around. Some are called difficult but there is no explanation of the category.

Here is a useful tip for Wikiloc:- do your search for trails to include off-road motorcycles and enduro motorcycles. Odd as it may seem 4x4s and motorcycles use the same tracks. This will significantly increase the number of off-road routes that your search will produce.

Incidentally, I made an adverse comment about an off-road route posted on Wikiloc that consisted entirely of motorway and was "Flamed" I think is the nerd expression...

I can't remember if it was wikiloc mor everytrail, but I made a complaint about the same issue with one user. They asked for the user to re-categorise it.

i do the same when I am looking for routes, on occasion you get a YouTube video. I did find a couple a 4x4 would not fit down. I guess you don't really know to you get there. For us we need to be able to do it single handed and if we get stuck recover with just a hi lift and chains etc. we can always stay the night I guess!

I also have to recover single-handed. The idea of a 10 mile walk to get a farmer to pull one out is not appealing. So being cautious and circumspect is an important. Even with the best intentions, in October, I managed to sink the Landy up to the chassis in mud on what looked like a firm bit of trail, however, fortunately I had one of those nifty fold-up ground anchors to fix a rope to - the only time I have used it in five years.

Gavin,

I have just found this forum and it is what i have been looking for I hope. I am going to French/Italian ALps this June and got some trakc of wikiloc and other sources but not so much of it.
Should you be willing to share some alpine routes please send some info to email removed. You dont want spamming, do you?
Rgds
Greg

Would you be able to send me some info on Alpine routes. I would like to add some interesting more demanding bits to the track I already have.

email is: removed. You dont want spamming, do you?

ta
Greg

Gavin,

I have just found this forum and it is what i have been looking for I hope. I am going to French/Italian ALps this June and got some trakc of wikiloc and other sources but not so much of it.
Should you be willing to share some alpine routes please send some info to email removed. You dont want spamming, do you?
Rgds
Greg
Hi,

You could also have a look o n everytrail which is a website similar to wikiloc. Both are also available in google earth which makes searching easier.

did you grab the ones I linked to earlier in the thread? There is a write up on our site, which is linked in the tracks on wikiloc or everytrail.

another good website is alpenroten.de

Cheers

Dan

I can send you the Memory-Map overlay that i have which has a good week's worth of off-roading in the Alps but none of it is particularly challenging although very interesting.

There are much better demanding routes in the Auverne/Cevennes, several starting around Les Vans and La Bastide-Puylaurent and another starting in Le Chambon sur Lignon which includes some really fun bits as well as part of the Mille Rivieres route approx 2 days worth.

hi Greg,

The removal of email addresses makes it difficult to send route maps to people that request them. Have you a solution?

I am not familiar with this site and seem not to be able to find anything like private message functionality which could be the way
G

Hello Gavin
Currently trying to plan our first off roading trip en famille. While trawling the internet looking for posible destinations your thread popped up. I would be very grateful if you could send me details of some of your routes. Haven't really narrowed down which part of France, we are currently thinking about Pyrenees area or the Atlantic coast up from Spain.
Once we have been somewhere we can reciprocate with details of our routes.
Email address: [email protected]
Thanks.

Hello Gavin
Currently trying to plan our first off roading trip en famille. While trawling the internet looking for posible destinations your thread popped up. I would be very grateful if you could send me details of some of your routes. Haven't really narrowed down which part of France, we are currently thinking about Pyrenees area or the Atlantic coast up from Spain.
Once we have been somewhere we can reciprocate with details of our routes.
Email address: [email protected]
Thanks.
Moi aussi, SVP!....just back from the Overland Adventure show at Stratford and bitten (again) by the bug. Your offer seems too good to be true and the answer to a whole heap of questions. Top marks for your efforts here, Gavin. Best e-mail for me is [email protected].

Hi Gavin, I would be ever so grateful if you could please share your France map with me on [email protected]. Thank you very much from Switzerland. Is there any organisation you'd like me to donate to as a thank you?

Gavin hi
Just found this thread which looks great. I live in burgundy and would be interested in getting hold of your green laning routes and particularly the trans alpine route. Seems really difficult to get this info in france.
any chance you could send them to me at [email protected]?
thanks
Rich

Hi Gavin, you have really started something here !
I would be so pleased if you could send me some off road routes. I am planning to travel in the Liguran Alps next month and would like to do a few days off road en-route.
Kind regards, please mail to 'kit-at-kitmax.com' or use contact page on website www.kitmax.com
Kitmax

Back
Top Bottom