• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Hello from Glasgow and some noob questions about buying

marineengineer

In Third Gear
hi guys,

ive finally decided to buy a Defender 90! hopefully should be buying one next week! ive seen a couple that im looking at and i just have a question regarding 1 in particular.

im looking at a 1988 defender 90 which has been restored. questions i have so i can confirm this at the inspection:

1) How can i tell if the doors are off a 2008 model?
2) How can i tell if the axels are from a 2010 model?
3) How can i easily tell if the engine has been rebuilt?

From my understanding - there is a inspection plug on the underside of the timing belt housing which would tell if any oil is leaking through. there is also an inspection plug on the clutch casing which would indicate if any gearbox, clutch or engine oil is leaking through?

one other point on the note of paranoia! : my knowledge is that these are the highest stolen cars in the UK! I have done an HPI check and no problems, however , aside from the VIN there is no other way of telling if a vehicle has been stolen? (not that i think it has, just out of interest)

Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for the help!

Just make sure you get the guys name and address on a proper receipt and buy from his house rather than a carpark. If he is a normal seller this is no problem at all. Check fixings around vin plates are not looking new and no damage in that area.
As for the rest if parts have been replaced it's been looked after. If nothing has been replaced then look for rust instead.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum :)

Back
Top Bottom