• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

HOT START problem ('04 TD6 vogue)

LOVELYBOY

In Fourth Gear
Hi folks,

My rangey has developed a hot starting problem. From cold it starts fine, no problems at all. If I run it up to temperature, turn it off and then leave it for a few minutes it cranks for ages before reluctantly drifting into a lazy idle, (for example stopping for fuel or popping to the cash point) It eventually starts after about 30-40 seconds, but it seems to be getting worse.

Once started it runs fine, no flats spots or other bad symptoms, no clouds of black smoke etc.

After reading other forum posts I've replaced the low pressure fuel pump (under the fuel tank) but this has had no effect.

I'd welcome some advice, if anyone has any ideas.

Many thanks in advance

LB

Hi LOVELYBOY, it could possibly be a faulty injector, low fuel pressure will stop engine from starting when warm.
pm me your number I can go through how to check them.
Thanks Ash

Update on the situation.....

I had my local Indie (Mike Harding Land Rover) look at it for me, and after a lot of discussion he replaced the high pressure fuel pump back in Feb....£1,100.... ouch! This sort of cured the problem, it was no where near as bad. Just recently it has started to get worse again. Today I have had to resort to a squirt of 'easystart' to get the old girl running. As before... once it has fired and is running it is absolutely fine and drives as sweet as a nut.

Going to ring Mike Harding tomorrow to get it booked back in, just in case the new pump has failed. Landyash (above) spoke about injectors. I can't quite understand the mechanism for the injector stopping the engine from firing.... if it an injector was faulty wouldn't it run very lumpy?

Iy anyone's got any thoughts it would be appreciated?

BR
LB

From my experience, fuel problems in these engines mostly relate to LP and HP pumps, but as you have changed both of the these it is unlikely to be them. As these are common rail (fail?) engines, you should also check fuel rail pressure when hot (and that it is maintained), as the rail pressure is actually the injection pressure (injection time dictates fuel metering). In addition, injectors can become dirty especially if the car has not been routinely serviced and the final filters religiously changed. The injectors can also "leak" and can cause fuel to pass into the cylinders and eventually into the sump contaminating the lub oil. So, check the rail pressures hot and cold if possible, and then start looking at injectors if you find the rail pressure OK.

Back
Top Bottom