• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

gally182

In Third Gear
Hi guys my heater was only working on full blast,

So I took the resistor out from the heater, if you pull your glove box down it’s up on the right, one screw holding it in and then pull the plug out. Sorry I didn’t take any pictures as it was dark.

First off all take the 3 screws on the outside cover this will un cover picture 1, take the 2 screws out and flip it over take them 2 screws out, de-solder the transistor. The transistor is the reason your heaters not working.

Ordered a new transistor parts number - MJ11016BG

EBay item nunber - 371566612232

Re-soldered the new transistor and put everything back together and sorted it out. I now have each heater setting👍🏻

While I was the there I did the heater power on and temperature button lights, which are the 3 circled on my pictures. Replaced them with green T4.7 led lights off Amazon. £9 for 10. The top 3 that aren’t circled are t5’s they light up the heater display.

Hope this helps anyone as Land Rover genuine ones are expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1140.jpeg
    IMG_1140.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1139.jpeg
    IMG_1139.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1138.jpeg
    IMG_1138.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1142.jpeg
    IMG_1142.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 43
I found this really helpful - thank you @gally182 . One of my temperature switch bulbs had failed so I took the unit apart and found I had three black bulbs rather than 2 blacks and a grey. I also had a spare unit someone had given me and that had one black and one grey for the temperature switches, and a black for the buttons. Do you know the difference between the 8510251 black bulbs and the JWH100070 grey bulbs? Are they interchangeable?

Attachments

• DSC02384 - OLD.JPG
    DSC02384 - OLD.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02386 - NEW.JPG
    DSC02386 - NEW.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 19
It appears that the fitting is exactly the same. If there is any difference it may be that the wattage (brightness) is different?

I found this on a Russian website which shows very little (if any) difference in dimensions or fitting...

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 09.32.13.png

Thanks for that. I guessed it must be wattage as they seem to be physically interchangeable. Nothing helpful on the bulb itself that I can work out - TSD, V-2 and 15 on the black one I took out. Ours has been working fine with a black where there should be a grey for as long as we have had it so clearly not a massive difference between them.

They are presumably both the same voltage so if you really wanted to know you could make up a little test rig and check what current was flowing through each one and see if one is higher power.
Does it matter if they fit and work..?

They are presumably both the same voltage so if you really wanted to know you could make up a little test rig and check what current was flowing through each one and see if one is higher power.
Does it matter if they fit and work..?
Nope. I'm just curious why Land Rover went to all the cost and effort of having two different parts which are ostensibly the same.

i had all sorts of failed ones in the dash on my D1. at £7 or more each that looked pricey to fix.
I ordered some bulbs up from ebay for a few pounds and while its very fiddly I was able to remove the old bulb and put a new one into the holders.
the little green and orange 'hoods' can be swapped over if you are careful

Back
Top Bottom