• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

My D3 Project

sooooo clever ;)😎

ah shucks, that’s so kind of u to say , plus I must say wouldn’t have stood a chance without all the fantastic help I’ve had over the years from so many kind souls from here , really helped as when I first bought it I had never owned a Discovery before only series landies and freelander

thks again

ah shucks, that’s so kind of u to say , plus I must say wouldn’t have stood a chance without all the fantastic help I’ve had over the years from so many kind souls from here , really helped as when I first bought it I had never owned a Discovery before only series landies and freelander

thks again
here is the most amazing help i knew nothing, dint know what a con rod too a thrust bearing as ,,, now i kow how my engine works , its soooo good too havr wonderful help from our landy lovin family, all thr best , Jo x

So my new brake kit arrived , this was after a lot of research and reviews etc

At the end of the day I wished to at least try for myself drilled and grooved discs, really pleased with the quality , fingers crossed the days of hairline cracks have gone, went with terrafirma along with there ceramic brake pads , calipers , fitting kit , new pins and wear sensors

will have to get them fitted as there’s no way I can lift the discs let alone get the wheels off, front disc weighs 21 lbs , rears 16 lbs , few pics as well of the new brakes

as always a massive thks for the fantastic help , hopefully this will help others in the future , will take some more pics when there fitted , more than likely mid sep

quote from there web site

Terrafirma brake discs offer increased bite from cold, and excellent fade resistance in most 4wd Braking applications. Whether its a steep rocky decent, ploughing through mud and water or just daily driving these brake discs will give excellent stopping performance in all conditions. Quality machining to high tolerances using the correct materials ensure that Terrafirma discs will withstand any test.

Grooves are machined into the brake disc to force away the dust and gasses that build up between the pad and the disc, keeping the brakes cooler and reducing fade. The cross drilling contributes to cooling and head dissipation and allows the gasses to escape.Of course they will fill with mud when off road , its been found that the grooves will clear themselves well, its best to unsure these are clean and clear when washing and maintaining your vehicle to maintain their effectiveness.

With overweight four-wheel drive vehicles and oversize tyres its important to find a set of brake pads that really do perform. A heavily laden expedition vehicle for example will quickly overhead brakes, with larger wheels requiring more effort to stop them turning. Many ‘performance’ pads are better suited to sports type driving where heat is required and can be maintained to enable the pads to really work. Even some well known brands need some heat build up to really perform effectively.
IMG_5496.jpeg
IMG_5499.jpeg
IMG_5504.jpeg
IMG_5507.jpeg
IMG_5509.jpeg
IMG_5510.jpeg
IMG_5511.jpeg
IMG_5513.jpeg
IMG_5515.jpeg
IMG_5516.jpeg
IMG_5518.jpeg
IMG_5519.jpeg
IMG_5522.jpeg
IMG_5523.jpeg

Excuse my ignorance, but why do these callipers only have pistons on one side?
Does this make the pads wear more on the piston side of the disc?
sliding calipers most modern ones are the same. the piston pushes the pad and then pulls the caliper containing the other pad onto the disc. i hope that sort of makes sense.

Many thks @paul123 as indeed I also thought that with regard to floating calipers where it provides equal pressure and therefore even wear

as a side note the other type, ie, fixed calipers where it has pistons both sides I understood them to provide more force over floating calipers

another reason I got all new sliding pins , retentions clips etc

along with ensuring ceramic brake grease is used over copperslip

Plus still unsure if I should paint the calipers or not seeing there all new , mainly to protect them from road salt etc , have got a tin of red brake caliper acrylic paint

IMG_5471.jpeg

Shiny!
I do wonder how many of these disks are manufactured in the same factory though. These look identical to the (Mintex?) ones I fitted.
Same surface marks and finish etc. I would be cautious about the "head dissipation" though... :D

I painted mine with caliper paint aerosol. Did very little prep tbh, they attract a lot of dust and get grubby very fast. Its mainly to slow down any corrosion etc.

Please let me know how the pads work out? Ive been trying different pads on mine to try to improve the braking. So far the Ferodo are working out best.

Shiny!
I do wonder how many of these disks are manufactured in the same factory though. These look identical to the (Mintex?) ones I fitted.
Same surface marks and finish etc. I would be cautious about the "head dissipation" though... :D

I painted mine with caliper paint aerosol. Did very little prep tbh, they attract a lot of dust and get grubby very fast. Its mainly to slow down any corrosion etc.

Please let me know how the pads work out? Ive been trying different pads on mine to try to improve the braking. So far the Ferodo are working out best.

hi mate

many thks and indeed with regards to manufacturers used across various names , was also told the drilled holes are countersunk on discs to prevent them from getting hairline cracks , time will tell if that’s true or not

that’s also my thinking regarding the painting of them, the calipers and if it’s worth doing the disc hubs at the same time , got a cheap set of 1/2“ and small brushes from Amazon , did also look at 2 x pack caliper paint but started to get pricy at £60 , but didn’t mind spending £23 for the one above seeing it’s 1 x litre so plenty for all 4 x corners

more than happy to report back to u , pads are ceramic

How uncanny is that @mikeau as just seen this on the terrafirma web site

Terrafirma has teamed up with some leading manufacturers to give you more than just reduced stopping distance.

Terrafirma Premium Ceramic Brake Pads are suitable for all types of brake disc including Terrafirma CDG cross drilled and grooved brake discs

The comparative new kid on the block is the ceramic brake pad. Terrafirma Premium ceramic brake pads are composed of a dense ceramic material (like pottery fired in a kiln) with embedded copper fibres. In use since the 1980s. ceramic pads were developed as an alternative replacement for organic and semi-metallic brake pads because at the time of these types produced too much noise and dust. Ceramic pads are also generally easier on the discs than semi-metallic pads.

Besides being quieter, ceramic brake pads handle extremely high temperatures with little fade, allowing them to recover quickly and cause less damage to the rotors. Also, when ceramic brake pads wear down, they create a finer, lighter dust than semi-metallic pads, and the dust doesn’t stick to wheels. Finally, studies have found that ceramic brake pads have a longer life span without ever sacrificing noise control, rotor life or braking performance.

One con of ceramic brake pads is the cost. Ceramic brake pads tend to be more expensive than semi-metallic pads. Also, ceramic pads aren’t suitable for all vehicles, so always be sure to check your owner’s manual before making a purchase

talking of heat have heard that various D4 owners have fitted standard non drilled / grooved new discs and shortly after the actual disc warps causing terrible run out, often wonder if thats maybe just down to pad choice ?

am looking forward to see how these compare over standard discs/ pads , before I forget drilled / grooved discs are supposed to be better in the rain

How uncanny is that @mikeau as just seen this on the terrafirma web site

Terrafirma has teamed up with some leading manufacturers to give you more than just reduced stopping distance.

Terrafirma Premium Ceramic Brake Pads are suitable for all types of brake disc including Terrafirma CDG cross drilled and grooved brake discs

The comparative new kid on the block is the ceramic brake pad. Terrafirma Premium ceramic brake pads are composed of a dense ceramic material (like pottery fired in a kiln) with embedded copper fibres. In use since the 1980s. ceramic pads were developed as an alternative replacement for organic and semi-metallic brake pads because at the time of these types produced too much noise and dust. Ceramic pads are also generally easier on the discs than semi-metallic pads.
They sound too good to be true! :thumbsup:

every day is a school day if you have a disco 3 . great cars but always trying to think of new ways to make you swear. it was gstuarts write up that changed my mind about having one. my wife says its the best runabout she has ever had.

hi Paul

great that the write was useful to u as indeed think it’s always nice being able to pass any info on to anyone thinking of getting one so at least then u know what ur in for

admittedly when I first bought mine I thought oh Christ what have I done seeing it turned into a nightmare with airbag , suspension fault codes

but as time went on along with getting fantastic help I learnt it’s quirks so to speak and adore the disco , seeing it’s such a delight to drive , particularly down the motorway ,also not having much sway through tight B roads

is my favourite land rover so far I’ve owned , not had a Range Rover yet but seeing the D3 shares a RRS platform don’t know if there’s much improvement in ride quality

looking back I wished I had more diagnostic tools which would have made life alot easier

They sound too good to be true! :thumbsup:

indeed, as they say if it sounds too good to be true it isn’t, lol

can only hope , plus don’t know how long it will take to get a true braking experience after the bedding in process

saying that I’m wondering if my Autel MX808 will have the facility to read the braking systems gyro , if so could then take data pre and post brake fitment

So D3 passed it’s MOT on 13th oct, advisery the rear lower wishbones need replacing

had my new brake kit fitted , ie discs, calipers , pads, sliding pins , clips etc , so that’s one thing out the way

so next year will be my timing belt , rear lower wishbones , tie bars and under seal all done next year

timing belt wise I’m hoping to find a local mechanic that can do it for me as garages are quoting me around £1400 , gulp

IMG_7286.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom