• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

My D3 Project

So replaced the shrieder valves with nice new ones

Managed to finally get the glue off the inside of the back door where it had a window tint , couldn’t see out the back of a night time , took about an hour to get all the glue off

Redone the bonnet where I had removed the letters , also left the lights out because of being in the middle of getting the condenser out

Just stuck now of just getting the 4 x torx bolts out

View attachment 144305View attachment 144306View attachment 144307
I thought you’d blacked out the headlights, until I realised they are not there at all!

Great thread! I am massively impressed with your bravery in tackling these jobs.. Just looking at the engine bay gives me palpitations. Just shows though, that if you are determined enough, these things are possible. :)

Great thread! I am massively impressed with your bravery in tackling these jobs.. Just looking at the engine bay gives me palpitations. Just shows though, that if you are determined enough, these things are possible. :)

why thank u as that’s very kind of u to say , some jobs I must admit I’ve had to walk away for 5 x mins as they’ve drove me insane

engine wise I’ll do a lot of the jobs myself apart from the timing belts, that job I don’t fancy doing

other jobs like electrical can take me hours in trying to trace that single bad wire, but suppose that was the same when I was trying to find errors in heating systems/ controls etc , maybe that stood me in good stead

so sanded down the A bar, got just a little more that I need to add filler as it’s not quite right , expect it will take me a few goes , did put a mist coat on with some primer to see where the high and low points were

don’t think it looks to bad and is coming a lot slowly , trying my best to get it as level as possible , plus it goes off with 10 - 15 mins , think that’s could be down to the hot weather , so I’ll mix up very small amounts so not to waste any, the repair is just below the paint skin is a few mm, can just feel it when I rub my fingers over it or a straight edge

but so far quite pleased with it , hope the textured paint will also come out ok , a lot of work before I get to that stage dam just heard thunderstorms, thank god this is under cover

Few piccies to see what u think please as always nice getting feedback
57E1A9AA-A2B9-41B0-90AD-D96E6E40CE92.jpeg
F4C98314-5DB0-4339-A59B-404E088842A3.jpeg
E3F11603-2710-4329-9D6A-64ACEF74ABAF.jpeg
21D66DED-2BFD-42F6-BD93-1872DBEA2FBF.jpeg
5430674A-86F5-4CE3-A1B3-7560BBA9CF05.jpeg
B8AD579E-D9AE-4CDE-909C-A756EB98F8FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Hiya, hope everyone is keeping safe and well

so managed to get hold of some xenon D4 headlights to replace my D3 halogens , at first though it would be a straight swap, silly me, lol,as need to replace the wings and got to replace the headlight plastic covers as they have a crack at the top , hoping a Dremel will work to get the adhesive / old covers off

Bought a a pair of brand new D4 steel wings , however they will need spraying and the last time I sprayed must have been some 20 x years ago with cellulose, colour will be metallic Java black 697 , alas the D4 black is different, that would have been too easy getting a second hand set of wings, lol

do have a compressor , only a 50 x litre , 9.6Cfm which I hope will be suffice to spray the wings, been looking at some HVLP soray guns which only need around 7 to 8 Cfm

looked at pre thinned paint, However what a mindfield in different primers , base coats then lacquers etc

having to add hardners etc , but really do enjoy learning new things , oh and the CCF files in the car will need changing am hoping my gap iid will be capable of doing that

new wings have come with a black primer but would really like to lightly sand them and apply another primer so I know 100% it’s a good sound primer for the base coat to go on and finally the lacquer coat

piccies of the new headlights and do like taking on projects like this, as u do , 😂

sorry am waffling as per usual , 😂😂

many thks as always

7DA817BD-41E8-4177-B7BE-3615A635AC28.jpeg
7ECFA9D6-2F70-4860-B235-3B31287F5EFB.jpeg
C4D3D4D6-B9E4-44A2-A97D-B35F4C9CD7FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Blimey these new paint are like a mindfield, lol, epoxy , etch etc etc

then something where u can’t sand down a metallic base coat , suppose when I messed around with cellulose I lightly sanded down each coat with wet and dry

then when reading one site it contradicts another, but think that might be down to being an American site

also when emailing a countless amount of paint companies to ask for advice of which paints I need none of them reply

all good fun 🤣🤣

So got a battery tester , can’t be left attached like the other BM2 one can but wished to see how the battery / alternator were performing seeing these D3’s rely so heavily on a good battery

just wished to share , also hope everyone is keeping safe and well

1A7DED50-C5D0-43BF-8C9F-2496771B7931.jpeg
1C445A8F-6A2F-488D-88F8-BB9CA5877E28.jpeg
8DAA1918-260F-4009-9133-46E2BC2872F0.jpeg

So wished to update this as I’ve been busy , lol

had a terrible turbo error which flagged up as a MAP fault , I ended up replacing the turbo intercooler plastic duct pipe, along with new silicone hoses and T bolt clamps , instead of spraying the turbo actuator this time I got a grease gun with red Lithium grease as I felt being thicker and better suited to prevent the actuator arm from sticking

did also get a borscope , enclosed a pic of just some clips showing the picture quality , is really sharp and just lugs into my Autel, unfortunately taking a picture of it with my iPad has degraded the quality

had to get a break out box as needed all the help I could get , spent hours and hours testing the ECM connections to each engine sensor

in the end I found an EGR air leak at the throttle body, the egrs are blanked down by the engine block but with the air leak upset the MAF and MAP readings , systems were vibration around 2,000 revs which was just about the scale the turbo starts to come in

fitted some rock sliders as I’ve seen where steps are fitted it can become a water trap

still need to do the small repair on the front A bar , see there becoming quite rare abs some selelrs ask for silly money £500+ , got some 9” spotlights, have DRLs built in if desired

the fault I think must have taken me around 3 x months to find as it wasn’t just the egr pipe air leak , found green build up on the ECM and TCM modules , along with finding the earth posts that the modules used for there 5Vdc reference point , used a dremel to clean the post and connections , on re installation used some coppaslip

must admit at the end of the day I was really surprised with the test drive, it went like a scolded cat and was really taken back as it just kept pulling , looked down whilst on a carriage way and was doing just over 70 mph

hope and prey I never have to do any work around the turbo area and intercooler intake duct tube as it was a complete abs utter pig, imagine there was a massive blue cloud around the D3 as I swore a lot, lol

do have a few items that I need to get done, new brake callipers all round as the near side front and back are sticking , think that’s down to me not using it every day , it can sometimes sit for 2-3 weeks, do keep my CTEK charger plugged in to keep the battery fully charged

also the rear lower wishbones need doing , wont bother replacing just the one bush but the entire wishbones both sides

will do that this year as then I’ll just be onto basic servicing each year

has taken be a good while to get it where I’m happy , , most of the suspension has been totally rebuilt ,

plus hope these pics are of interest

IMG_3526.jpeg
IMG_3522.jpeg
IMG_3512.jpeg
IMG_3511.jpeg
IMG_3510.jpeg
IMG_3509.jpeg
IMG_3507.jpeg
IMG_3506.jpeg
IMG_3504.jpeg
IMG_3502.jpeg
IMG_3501.jpeg
IMG_3500.jpeg
IMG_3499.jpeg
IMG_3498.jpeg
IMG_3497.jpeg
IMG_3496.jpeg
IMG_3495.jpeg
IMG_3494.jpeg
IMG_3491.jpeg
IMG_3480.jpeg
IMG_3475.jpeg
IMG_3474.jpeg
IMG_3469.jpeg

Last edited:
Good update.. thanks for posting the photo's, they speak a thousand words.

many thks and ur so welcome , indeed as u say they say a thousand words, think I broke that limit from swearing as my god the designers were certainly not my favourite type of person in trying to get the new turbo intercollegiate intake tube back in

hopefully won’t ever have to do that job ever gain

many thks and ur so welcome , indeed as u say they say a thousand words, think I broke that limit from swearing as my god the designers were certainly not my favourite type of person in trying to get the new turbo intercollegiate intake tube back in

hopefully won’t ever have to do that job ever gain

apologises due to autocorrect , meant to say turbo intercooler intake tube

Given everything you have done to the D3 would you still recommend one to someone who doesn’t want to get so involved?
hi

from the knowledge I’ve gained from owning mine the last 6 x years I feel that it’s best that u can do a lot of the work yourself otherwise it will become extremely expensive if reliant on garages

must confess is my favourite landy so far after owning land rovers the last 25+ x years , alas though the 2.7 TDV6 is its weakness due to the reports of broken cranks, shells spinning , recon engine are around 5k , many will fit one from a jaguar S Type

there is an improved stronger oil pump casing which indeed should be checked on purchase to ensure it has the later one fitted , did do a purchase write up that’s a sticky at the top of the discovery page which I hope is useful

riming belts every 105,000 miles or 7 s years, which ever comes first , along with annual serving or done around 6,000 miles

do feel that u really need to go into buying one with both eyes wide open, keeping a good 1k in reserves as there’s bound to be something that needs doing , unfortunately mine had been bodged to an inch of its life which has caused me a lot of agro but feel that I’ve now ironed them out

they do take more upkeep mainly due to the weight and electronics , , ie, bushes, brakes etc , there sublime to drive as there extremely comfortable , remain well planted at motorway speeds eating the miles up

next time round I’ll buy a petrol one seeing the jaguar 4.4 V8 is a considerably stronger engine than the 2.7 , not without its issues but a lot less than the TDV6

plus feel diagnostics is a must , they do occasionally like to throw up an error code , many times can just be a low battery , so having ur own with help greatly , they range from £50 up to the gap iid which is around £450:, that will basically do everything u need one to do

multimeter , clamp meter as well is a great addition to ur tool box, if not used the battery will last around 28 x days , having a CTEK charger is very useful if not used all the time , along with a good selection of tools ,

hopefully that’s been useful to u , if u get a chance plse have a test drive of one and you’ll see why it will make u smile as there gorgeous motors to drive, if thinking of purchasing one best to take someone with u that know them

I've printed off the details you posted on what to look for when inspecting a potential purchase, that's very handy and I will make sure I use it to the max.
Somebody put up a YouTube link to a video by a German guy looking at the problems with TDV6 engine and why it was causing so many issues.
Particularly talking about the problems with the oil pump, very informative. Is it possible to see the body of the oil pump without taking the covers off the engine?
There was a nice petrol D3 that came up at Matthewsons a couple of months back, you don't see them very often. One lady owner, low milage always garaged, well maintained, it went for 6.5k. I was very tempted but unfortunately importing into Ireland from the UK has now become prohibitively expensive. We get hit for a Vehicle Registration Tax (the amount is made up by someone at Revenue on the day, I kid you not) NOX and VAT, eventhough it's a secondhand purchase. All of which means that a 8k to 10 k Disco will end up costing another 8 to 10k in taxes.......robbing bastards.
I thought I had found the one a couple of weeks back, but after I had done a background check on the car it turned out it had 7 owners in the last 7 years and was an insurance write-off in the UK before being brought over to Ireland and registered over here. It looked a really nice example and had everything on it that I was looking for, shame. Needless to say I didn't go any further with that one.

I've printed off the details you posted on what to look for when inspecting a potential purchase, that's very handy and I will make sure I use it to the max.
Somebody put up a YouTube link to a video by a German guy looking at the problems with TDV6 engine and why it was causing so many issues.
Particularly talking about the problems with the oil pump, very informative. Is it possible to see the body of the oil pump without taking the covers off the engine?
There was a nice petrol D3 that came up at Matthewsons a couple of months back, you don't see them very often. One lady owner, low milage always garaged, well maintained, it went for 6.5k. I was very tempted but unfortunately importing into Ireland from the UK has now become prohibitively expensive. We get hit for a Vehicle Registration Tax (the amount is made up by someone at Revenue on the day, I kid you not) NOX and VAT, eventhough it's a secondhand purchase. All of which means that a 8k to 10 k Disco will end up costing another 8 to 10k in taxes.......robbing bastards.
I thought I had found the one a couple of weeks back, but after I had done a background check on the car it turned out it had 7 owners in the last 7 years and was an insurance write-off in the UK before being brought over to Ireland and registered over here. It looked a really nice example and had everything on it that I was looking for, shame. Needless to say I didn't go any further with that one.
Good to hear its useful to u and blimey that’s a massive price increase with indeed the robbing gits lol

plse let us know how u get on and always around if I can help in any way

Lots of work done there Gary, nice job. Beyond my tech abilities, that electrical stuff, I reckon.

Many thanks and very kind of u , must confess I think my days of repairing and wiring up heating system helped me a lot when it came to wiring issues

don’t mind admitting has been a very steep learning curve but feel it’s at least a little bit more knowledge that I’ve gained , along with being able to pass it on in helping others that may get stuck

thks again

So this years plans are to resolve the issue with my sticking brake calliper's and the rear lower wishbone bushes

therefore priced up 4 x new calipers which come out around £250-300 , on searching I came across brake kits which includes , calipers, brake discs , pads etc for not much more @ £350 so Thinking that will be best value for money

this is the kit I looked at and see they do kits for discovery TD5 and defenders , plse see what u think

rear lower wishbones I’ll just get complete arms as indeed not worth messing around with re bushing them

all I need then is to get it serviced , been using millers engine oil , along with genuine filters , even though I do low mileage I’ll still get the transfer box , front - rear diff oils replaced

will get my local garage to do all the work for me

Back
Top Bottom