• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Power Loss

timbob

In Second Gear
Hi all,

Running my H reg 200tdi disco on a veg oil 50-50 mix. Been running fine for 3 months+ and I always buy the UCO from the same local supplier. I add Vplus7 additive at the recommended dosage.

I had an electrics problem which is now solved (go here)

I also had power loss (particularly on hills) and so we replaced the lift pump and fuel filter which solved the problem for a couple of days. I had also poured some STP diesel injector cleaner into the tank as well at the recommended dosage.

The power loss came back this morning and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what this could be or how I could fix or diagnose the problem.

Cheers in advance :eek:)
Tim

By way of a bit more explanation,
By "Power loss" I mean, when I'm going uphill there is a "choking" of the engne, as if its runnng out of juice.
On the flat I'm OK til I get to about 3000rpm and then it wont accelerate further. Uphill its more like 2500rpm, and then dropping a gear just makes the truck the slowest thing in the world....

I dropped in on my local garage who have a good reputation and they said that there is an initial filter under he rear wheelarch just after the tank which can be drained (more of a "crap catcher" than a filter) so I'm going to have a look in there as they said that could be the problem if it's full of muck from 20 years motoring...

I'm just hoping that I haven't knackered my new lift pump, as, not knowing about this other filter near the tank, I didn't empty it and crap could have just clogged up the new pump.... DOH!

Again, any thoughts or help gratefully received...
Tim :eek:)

the "crap catcher" is the fuel sedimentor and yes they do get over looked,however there is a very good chance the drain plug on the bottom will snap as most do so you are better off undoing the bolt on the top of the unit (10 or 11mm) and dropping it out completely,to me it sounds like it is the lift pump again but good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thankd for the help Landy Man!!

As an update on this we have fixed the problem. Yay!!

We took the sedimenter off after purchasing some replacement gaskets for it (60p all told...)... My word. The rubbish that was in there!!!
I guess this just hasn't been cleaned out for years.... it was about 70% full of wtaer sludge with some large amalgamated clumps of who knows what in there as well.
We cleaned it out, reconnected it and then replaced the fuel filter under the bonnet (again...) and primed the lift pump and prayed....
All works perfectly now, all power is back online and the disco feels like a new puppy again!!
We had bought another lift pump in case this had gone south but we didn't need to change it and Brookwells gave me the money back as we didn't take it out of the box.
So if you experience power loss, do the sedimenter first, then the fuel filter and then try the engine. Only then, if it's still not right will you need to replace the lift pump.
Cheers :eek:)
Tim

Back
Top Bottom