• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

S11A Airportable

Pictures you say? Pictures you shall have.
picture the 1st The fit at the top of the driver door
2nd, the fit at the bottom of the same door
3rd gotta be hung on the P1ss right? Of course the passenger door is a MUCH better fit but there isn't room to get a picture of it
4th one of the many seat belt fixtures (10 in total) This one on the top of the rear tub. Big 7/16 bolt into a big lump of steel withing the capping, sadly the bit of body this is all fastened to is 1.2mm thick and secured with 7No 1/4 bolts
5th, an alternative location to secure the seatbelts when the upper body sides are removed
6th the overall picture

Attachments

• IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2335.JPG
    IMG_2335.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2339.JPG
    IMG_2339.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 22
more
1st the engine bit
2nd the rear tub floor
3rd tailgate with pioneer tools, shovel needs painting again because "she" has been using it in the garden. I dunno you buy somebody their very own stainless steel spade and what do they do?
4th part of the dash with my WWF tiger (early airportable models had a folded aluminium cover for the wiper motor, on later models it was plastic
5th lotsa exposed rivets on an airportable
6th different types as well

Attachments

• IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 24
more
1. supposed to show the manual washer pump but the camera chose to focus on the steering wheel which (when I bought the vehicle) was cracked in various places and had lost most of its original paint
2. proper gauges with numbers and stuff
3. NOS genuine britax seatbelt
4 Lots of redundant holes in an airportable (for when you want to make it into a FFR
5. Trumpet fanfare, the best looking vehicle Land Rover ever built

No heater tubes, no demister nozzles cos back when these vehicles were first issued they weren't fitted with such luxuries and yes I am old enough to remember them without heaters

Attachments

• IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF2529.JPG
    DSCF2529.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 25
I thank you very much fellas. I’m in Belgium at the moment, if it is this sunny/warm when I get back to UK I’ll have to drag it out of the garage, finish off the details, get it MoTed (for peace of mind) and start using it. Probably more gently than it has ever been used thus far in its existence but at least it isn’t destined for a life as a garage queen

Umm, for want of any better description, it is "done" just got to get the tracking checked, MoT, sort out the Reg No and start the abuse. I'll take some pics when it is out of the garage
Well done the hard times really tried you to the limits you now have a fantastic vehicle enjoy enjoy enjoy

Well done the hard times really tried you to the limits you now have a fantastic vehicle enjoy enjoy enjoy
Oh the hard times carried on right up to the very end. After crawling around on the floor underneath it for ages yesterday doing the tracking and fitting one of the split pins to a TRE in which the hole was very slightly out of line (genuine 40 odd year old Land Rover) my back was killing me, seriously killing me.
Why so much grief this late in the day?
My own fault really, the thickness of the paint (remember the 5 coats of hand applied pylon paint and chassis black) on the steering for was offending me so I stripped it all off which revealed that it was
A. Bent and
B. Had been repaired with filler where it was very thin and had rusted through.
Prompt removal of track rod and paint from that just revealed that the paint had been applied straight onto the rust but no other immediately obvious defects.
Good job the P.O. was nowhere close because I might have shoved the steering rod somewhere painful.
Fortunately the steering rod was still available new, BIG Thank You to Blanchard!
Anyway, going to walk to a local garage today to book it in to have the steering set up and NoT done. Yes I know there is no legal requirement for it to have one,this is for my peace of mind.
A big THANK YOU to everybody for moral and emotional support, helpful advice, offers of parts and listening to me moaning for the last 3 years.

MoT fecking spell check.
Not that the work has ended, I have a spare gearbox to strip and rebuild, ditto a spare differential.
Plus a minor set up job on the voltage regulator, adjusting the current demand

It beats the voices in my head asking me about my work and why I keep building other peoples vehicles for them :p
Ah yes the voices. Mine keep asking me why have you bought ANOTHER abandoned project? Especially one where the P.O. seems to have been a brain dead fuckwit.
Previous 2a airportable had been rewired, in 2 colours, had the wrong threaded wheel nuts on all 20 studs, all the 1/4 bolts were 2 inches long and were all UNF but. The nuts were all M6, the footwells had been repaired with papier mache and so it went on.

Back
Top Bottom