• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series III - 2.25 Diesel heater plugs

Removing all the wiring and giving every thing a good wire brushing wires and plug tops every so often helps there efficiency...the low voltage they work at needs to be at its best.

Nick.

On a side not BRITPART plugs are appalling..I returned 3 or so out of 6 due to failing conductivity test and 1 has failed in the engine and yet is fully intact. I will return it but it is a royal pain.... Seller said he had "never heard of one failing before"

All fixed.. the connector not fully over the plug was the cause of the problem.... I had not considered 1 plug shorting would damage the others. It fixed and starts multiple times. FYI if anyone else reads this... the glow plug lamp was a LOT LOT brighter when there was an issue.. once fixed it was much more of a dull glow... FYI as I had never seen the lamp on a SERIES glow correctly I assumed it was correct. Thanks for all the input and help with this one chaps.

Plugs rear their head again....Just a thought.... I assume there shouldn't be connectivity with a multimeter between the tip of an old style plug and the nut which tightens it into the engine ? My old style plugs are earthed direct to the battery, which doesn't seem a standard way of doing it..I have connectivity between the tip and the shoulder simply as both are earthed ? surely this will lead them to burn out ? I am beginning to think I may have a major bad batch of plugs...

No, the body of the plug should not be connected to the heater circuit. Its supposed to be insulated...you can connect between the bit the small connection goes on, and the bit the large connection touches for continuity, but the body of the plug should be seperate from it entirely.

The earth from the last plug..... either to the block, or the earth terminal on the battery, either will work. To the block is just easier and shorter! Mind you, if you had poor earths from the engine to the body, then going to the battery would make the plugs work better, but would be a bodge. Sorting the earths out properly would be better.

So, if you can touch the threaded connector and the body of the plug and get a circuit...bin it.

The later plugs earth through the body of the plug, but not the pigtail type.

Back
Top Bottom