• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now
Series Vehicle Identification Numbers From SII Onwards

Guide Series Vehicle Identification Numbers From SII Onwards

Big Sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Big Sandy submitted a new resource:

Series Vehicle Identification Numbers From SII Onwards. - How To Break It Down

Series Chassis numbers from SII onwards

With the SII chassis numbers, the first three digits are the destination, type, model, and engine type. The fourth digit is the model year, and the last 5 digits are the serial number

Series II 88 inch petrol
141000000 (RHD, Home market)
145000000: (LHD, CKD)
Series II 88 inch diesel
146000000 (RHD Home market)
150000000 (LHD, CKD)
Series II 109 inch petrol
151000000 (RHD, Home market)
155000000 (LHD, CKD)...

Read more about this resource...

Mines a series III,VIN is 91305883D and the engine is 90276245E both CKD's out of South Africa believed to be a 1971 LWB with the engine out of a SWB from 1974/5 though do not know when it was fitted but it was before 1986 when it left service, imported into UK on 01/02/1987

So then what would 94815957 really be?

In the flesh, it's a 1976 South African Police 109" six cylinder, allegedly ex South African Police.

It has the "people pusher" bumpers that the SAP specified back then.

No, a LHD, export model, 1972 to 1979, 88 inch, diesel, basic body, no design modifications. Does that sound right?

(not all chassis numbers are included above...I should really amend the list.:eek:)

Hi
so... does that mean that my diesel series IIa 109 - chassis number 254####2b started life as a petrol? Would you also be able to confirm the manufacture date as 1961? The DVLA have it as manufactured in 1971 and registered in 1982.
Many thanks for your help. :)

First off, I have removed your full chassis number, for safetys sake. (you never know) But checked it before doing so....

I have you as a basic 109" SIIA, petrol. It also shows as being LHD, for export. Model years are 1962 to 1971, but the suffix B (one major design modification) was used between March '63 to April '66.

It might be worth investing in a heritage certificate, showing its date of manufacture etc...though it is not always of use. Still, the above is all I can find. Hope it helps!

Hi Big Sandy,

As you can see from my Avatar, I have a S3 SWB hardtop. I know from the previous owner that it is an ex military landy. From your post it has shown that mine was a softtop in service, mine being LBAAH1AA000000, this is bourne out by it still has tailgate fixings and hood string loops. Mine does not have a miltary specification plate on the bulkhead yet has a contract number plate on the drivers seatbox. CAn you shed any further light on this or point me in the right direction. I would like to trace its service record as well.

Ta very

Pete

Hi Pete,

The plate on the drivers side of the seat box will have details of any army numbers you need. like reg number (eg 82 KB16), the contract number etc.The chassis number will also be on there, plus details of the vehicle, FFR, etc.

Do you have any photos? If so, start a new thread either in the series section, or the military section. (This section is moderated, so any post you make has to be approved before its visible, so using wither of the above sections will get you a faster response)

There is 2 ways of getting the info you need once you have the info from the seatbox plate. Go to the RLC museum at deepcut and pay £25 (It might be more now, long time since I did this) or join the Ex Military Land Rover Assoc. (EMLRA) http://www.emlra.org/ and request a history search..

I have been in told that my chassis number is not correct for the year, My series 2a was registered 03/01/1969 and the chassis number is 2** 163**E
It was, when I got it a blue 88" station wagon with rover V8 fitted. I can see its not a genuine Landrover station wagon, I think it was a Bronze Green pick up from new.
How do you sort out the year from the chassis number??
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

2**

Model: Land Rover, Series IIA

Body type: Basic or Station wagon

Wheel base: 88in

Engine: diesel

Model years: 1962-1971

Destination: Home market, right-hand drive (RHD)

163**

Serial number

E
Design: Four significant design modifications

Suffix used from March 1968 till March 1969

From CalVin Land Rover (http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html)

I've edited out your full chassis number. Can't be too careful these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
The year digit on series 2 chassis numbers is no guarantee of the year of manufacture. Ciggys chassis number has a 1961 year digit and yet she was actually built in late september in 1960 and registered in 1961. We have confirmed this with a heritage certificate etc. I know of several other Series 2's with similar discrepencies and I think the year digit was more a 'model year' than an actual build year.

Right all of this is very interesting, I tried to get a Heriatage Certificate- Submitted all of the information I have and this is what they said.
Further to your order, the Chassis No. 1***5 is to high for the prefix 271/-, is it possible that it is in fact 10365? Will you please check preferably against the vehicles Chassis plate as paperwork is notoriously unreliable.

The chassis has been repaired badly in the past on the front dumb iron where the number should be and I dont have the plate that should be on the bulkhead so I have nothing to reference the chassis number from!

I wonder if it could be 01 instead of 10...... Still shows a vehicle of the same sort age, accordingto CalVin.

Not sure how you'd go about getting the right number to be honest. I wonder if the DVLA records against the reg number would show any alteration. Is the chassis number you have on the log book, or on previous MOTs?

The Chassis number I have is on the V5C (log book) and its a modern type document registered to me. I bought the Landrover last year and had the ownership swapped over to me with out any problems.
The only reason I bought this landrover was beacuse it came with a V5C so it would not be too difficult to put back on the road (in terms of Redtape rather than mechanically!!)
I have no other documents with it, all I found tucked up in the bulkhead was the last tax disk it had back in year 2000.

Well, at least you are legal....

It would be nice to have more definitive paperwork though (its always nice to have loads of documentation!). I have always fancied a heritage certificate for mine, but never got round to it.

What I did do once, for a previous landy, a SIIa, was send off to the DVLA for the vehicle history. That would give you dates of major changes, engine, fuel etc. Perhapsthat might show if there was a problem. Should certainly show the chassis number on the date of first registration.

Back
Top Bottom