• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Show us your Defender

Having just read through a lengthy and somewhat heated section on 200 tdi ā€œexcuse the punā€ by a couple of members ā€¦seems an 82 deg thermostat and a metal expansion tank cap is maybe the way to go ā€¦..what are your thoughts please .
Or have I read it wrong .
IMG_2528.jpeg

You know what they say...
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone else's stinks.
:D
Ive got a clear tank so I can see the level and a cap with a float switch from (I think) either a Disco or Rangey.

Ive got a clear tank so I can see the level and a cap with a float switch from (I think) either a Disco or Rangey.
Love those clear tanks. So much easier to check what is going on.

That didnā€™t answer my question in your Valued šŸ˜³ opinion would a metal cap be any good šŸ˜Œ

The metal cap will only fit on the metal expansion tank, so it will be good for that.

I prefer the clear expansion tank and there is nothing wrong with the plastic caps for those (I have heard stories of some breaking but its very cheap and easy to carry a spare) but then Ive also heard of the metal ones failing. Plastic tank gives me the option of also having the coolant sensor cap and a warning light on the dash with a bit of wiring.
With the metal tank you wont know the coolant is low until the engine boils and/or the gauge tells you.

On balance I prefer the plastic tank.

IMG_20230509_122005002_HDR.jpg

Taken on a trip around the Donegal area earlier this year. It's my old 1986 '90. I've had it since 1999. Underneath is a galv chassis with Disco 1 axles and a 300tdi (Done in 2011).
Earlier this year, it's had a galv bulkhead and Series style doors (that week last May was an adventure in stripping and fitting... I'm still at refitting the internal bits and pieces to be honest - heavy going!).

This is my Defender, it is from 1999. It will get new paint and lots of new attachments :)
Serching for new interior, and new motor, maybe I should put in a V8??

What should I do with this defender, I am open for suggestions.

Let it begin
Erik

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 29
This is my Defender, it is from 1999. It will get new paint and lots of new attachments :)
Serching for new interior, and new motor, maybe I should put in a V8??

What should I do with this defender, I am open for suggestions.

Let it begin
Erik
Welcome to the forum ..like it šŸ‘ a good heater would be a start going by the pictures.looks cold there šŸ˜³
Big set of wheels n tyres look like itā€™s been built for the snow .

Cold weather a good Diesel would be my recommendation..but canā€™t say no to a V8 ā€¦..insulate the interior,sound deadening..

I guess the rest depends on what you plan on doing with it ā€¦off road .overlanding .etc

Back
Top Bottom