• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Show us your Defender

Thanks for the welcome. Excuse my English but it is what it is ;).

For now it is cold but I am at our country house and it is a little bit more north than Saltsjöbaden(Stockholm) where I live when I am at "home".

I am thinking of building a car that can drive over zombies, and make my escape to the countryside when the shit hits the fan so to say. I am not crazy o_O

I just want a cool car.....

Give me ideas.

Best regards
Erik

Welcome to the forum ..like it 👍 a good heater would be a start going by the pictures.looks cold there 😳
Big set of wheels n tyres look like it’s been built for the snow .

Cold weather a good Diesel would be my recommendation..but can’t say no to a V8 …..insulate the interior,sound deadening..

I guess the rest depends on what you plan on doing with it …off road .overlanding .etc
Hi, now I understand that I should hit reply, sending a picture of my suburban :)

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpeg
    IMG_2892.jpeg
    626.5 KB · Views: 57
This is my Defender, it is from 1999. It will get new paint and lots of new attachments :)
Serching for new interior, and new motor, maybe I should put in a V8??

What should I do with this defender, I am open for suggestions.

Let it begin
Erik
Hi Erik,
Nice vehicle.
What is the engine now? Is it still original for the year or has it already been upgraded to later?
Gearbox? is it auto? or still the original?
If I was changing engines (perhaps one day!) then I would be looking at an OM605 (preferably with the mechanical FIP).
A rebuilt and upgraded R380 would be next on the list.
I would also be fitting Ashcroft ATB diffs front and rear.

Unless the brakes have been changed (I would hope so) then you are still running drums at the rear? Its hard to tell from the photos...
I would renew the braking system with disks on all corners (vented at the front). Its probably worth replacing the servo and master cylinder by now unless its been done already.

Desirable;
Roll cage, full or front
Jackable sills with sliders
Better seats (with heaters)
Added insulation (sound and heat)

This list could get very long...

Well the truck is getting a mini service with oil and fuel filters..
I'm doing the engine oil in spite of a loss from the crankshaft oil seal I obviously didn't install well enough..
That was 2 months and about 1000 miles ago and I haven't had to top the oil in spite of the drip,.. It was a mm or two down from full on the stick.. so thought I'd go ahead with the change anyway👍.. It deserves it👍😂

The real pain is the transmission oil drip.. For peace of mind I drain measure and refill just to keep a check on it..
I'm hoping I can get some space inside in December to get the boxes out again and try and make a better job of the seals 👍🤞...

Well the truck is getting a mini service with oil and fuel filters..
I'm doing the engine oil in spite of a loss from the crankshaft oil seal I obviously didn't install well enough..
That was 2 months and about 1000 miles ago and I haven't had to top the oil in spite of the drip,.. It was a mm or two down from full on the stick.. so thought I'd go ahead with the change anyway👍.. It deserves it👍😂

The real pain is the transmission oil drip.. For peace of mind I drain measure and refill just to keep a check on it..
I'm hoping I can get some space inside in December to get the boxes out again and try and make a better job of the seals 👍🤞...
Wrong section again.. Sorry.. If I had a brain I could be dangerous😩🤣
Supposed to be in the what did you do to your defender today👍😁

What is the engine now? Original, TD5
Gearbox? original manuel

Unless the brakes have been changed. Disc all around.
I think I will go Camel trophy style, hope I can get more input how other see what do do with the car.

Regards
Erik

Remember that Land Rover are prone to break so by keeping as standard as possible you'll put less strain on the breakable parts and suffer less failures. Or that's the theory at least. 😅

What is the engine now? Original, TD5
Gearbox? original manuel

Unless the brakes have been changed. Disc all around.
I think I will go Camel trophy style, hope I can get more input how other see what do do with the car.

Regards
Erik
I’m sure we can spend your money for you don’t worry about that 🤣 Camel Defender sounds good to me .

Camper conversion maybe …All out off-roader ..how ever much your imagination runs wild its yours to build whatever you want .
A we pic of mine just imagine it being a 110 ..😊IMG_1906.jpeg

Oops. My bad then. I thought (without cheating and googling...) that the Td5 came in a bit later...
Her '97 90 is a 300Tdi and I thought it ran a few more years...

Back
Top Bottom