• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Show us your Leafer!

My new Series 2 - just picked up yesterday. Ex Army VM who has been out the game for 30 odd years and looking forward to a bit of tinkering. Lots to do, starting with:

Remove all the superfluous black and silver paint inside. Looks awful. On the brake cover. In the cab. On the pipes. Awful. I'd rather bare metal than crap paint.
Swap out the heater for a better looking one.
Fettle the steering as best I can. Feels like I'm in the A Team driving it.
Small jobs to do, lights, labels, etc..
Fix the fuel smell - giving me a headache driving!
Buy a drip tray!
Fix the alternator - looks like battery not charging.
Tidy up the whole engine bay - cables, electrics, coil etc.
And a whole load more.

Drove it home 190 miles last night. Two things I had forgot. Drum brakes and not disk brakes. Nearly rear ended a lorry braking sharply. Pump, pump, PUMP.

Was a dog for 30 miles and once the engine burnt off whatever was holding it back 60mph all the way home. Drinks fuel!
Looks like the workshops of JB 4x4 in the photo. If I am correct then go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and document what you find. At the prices they charge you shouldn't have a vehicle with numerous issues.

Looks like the workshops of JB 4x4 in the photo. If I am correct then go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and document what you find. At the prices they charge you shouldn't have a vehicle with numerous issues.
It is. To be fair, the main and only mechanical issue I have is the brakes and they have offered to pay for the parts after admitting their tech adjusted the brake pedal to piston incorrectly. Still waiting for the money though….

In the main though I found JB Snr honest and straightforward to deal with. For Jnr I think what he knows about the mech part of these I could write on the back of my thumb.

I had read their stories on here and elsewhere and on balance I found their replies to be what I would expect from a company that basically turns around 60 year old cars and some slightly over irate customers expecting too much from a specific vehicle where a part can be perfectly serviceable one day and fail the next. I went over it top to bottom before buying, got a few seals replaced and some other work done, so I was buyer aware.

The second issue is the amount of black paint that has been used in hidden areas to make it look smart. In their “defence” it was likely the previous owner who did this (guessing an amateur weekend doer upper) as it seems their main model is to buy them more or less as is, deal with any major repairs, tidy up the paintwork, put them back out.

Even the brake master cylinder cap was painted silver. Bought a new one for a fiver. Same for the cab heater tubing. Painted black. Sorted that for 15 quid. I’ll be spending most weekends replacing or de-painting most of these parts. Steering column is next.

While I was aware I was paying a premium I knew for this specific one the combo of a solid engine, very good bodywork and a galv chassis gave me the foundation I would need and the rest I could fix later. The brakes though have made it VOR for a fortnight and that does piddle me off.

Sunday job though. So on it. But approeciate and agree with your general comment.

TBF there was vehicle in there that was in a lot better nick under the bonnet, less messed with and more std inside, but it did not have a galv chassis and that was my main driver as I intend to keep this for a long time.

There was a sweet example on Bonhams auctions a few days before I got this one. It went for the same price I paid, and arguably was a better example, with a Land Rover club chairman owner, but it had a safari top and I would have had to pay on top of all that to remove it, fit a canopy and then store the old top safely somewhere. No galv either. So hey ho.

I had read their stories on here and elsewhere and on balance I found their replies to be what I would expect from a company that basically turns around 60 year old cars and some slightly over irate customers expecting too much from a specific vehicle where a part can be perfectly serviceable one day and fail the next. I went over it top to bottom before buying, got a few seals replaced and some other work done, so I was buyer aware.
Good man, sounds like you went in with your eyes wide open :thumbsup:

Hopefully the fuel smell is something simple like the gasket on top of the fuel tank.

I came across some old photo albums while cleaning the basement, one of which had a few pictures of my old 1965 IIa - circa 1990. Man I loved that little truck. Back then I was a struggling apprentice Machinist with a young family. Unfortunately the Rover had to go as it wasn't much of a family car. I sure had a lot of fun with it in the three or four years I drove it though. Lots of great memories...

Attachments

• 20231223_143757.jpg
    20231223_143757.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231223_143303.jpg
    20231223_143303.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231223_144353 (1).jpg
    20231223_144353 (1).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231223_144339.jpg
    20231223_144339.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231223_143459.jpg
    20231223_143459.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 54
Not my vehicle. Saw this on a recent trip to Exmoor Trim to buy seats for my Defender. Thought you Series guys might be interested. I assume it is a Series and not a Lightweight?View attachment 526804
That would be an 80" swb series 1, late 49, early 50's. Most likely the 1600cc ohv engine. The Butler headlamps were behind the grille initially, then they cut holes in the grille to allow more light through. About 52 the lights were changed again, to the more familiar style were used to seeing on the 2's and 2a's.

The brackets on the windscreen are threefold, it would have a hinge for the door top, a bracket/clamp for the mirror, and sometimes above, a mount for trafficators.

The later ones had the sidelights moved to the wings, as when wing mirrors were fitted at night all you could see were the sidelights!

It's nice!

Back
Top Bottom